Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18759835 09/15/23
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Well it is not in collector condition with the D&T for a side mount, added checkering and the stock cut for a recoil pad but I like it! I put in a bid with what I was willing to pay and lo-and-behold no one else bid on it so it was now mine. First order of business will be to change out the pad for a nice Winchester red and shoot the heck out of it once I gather the loading components. I am also thinking about putting one of Turnbull’s red dot mounts on it and mounting a Trijicon on it. I have had a Browning copy and an original 71 in the past and do remember they do kick a little from the bench after 5 or 6 shots. Might look into a mercury recoil reducer or Magnaport. It is hell getting old!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A red Decelerator will take care of that recoil and look a lot classier that your other ideas. No mercury recoil reducer or Magnaport, one destroys balance the other aesthetics. The red Winchester pads aren't very effective in reducing recoil, BTDT.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool rifle PC. I have a Browning carbine and just love the little sucker.

That red dot sounds like a great idea.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on winning it, I never found a 71 I didn’t love!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool deluxe 71. I agree with gunwizard on the red pachmayr. The old 71 deluxe I had still had the steel butt plate, so a red pachmayr will help tame yours quite a bit. You won't gain anything by going repro on that one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Very nice rifle! Congrats!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you going to wildcat it to? (Since it's not a collector's piece)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Are you saying that the checkering was done after the fact or is it a Deluxe with the factory checkering? Nice shooter and a cool rifle. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Are you saying that the checkering was done after the fact or is it a Deluxe with the factory checkering? Nice shooter and a cool rifle. 👍🏼

That’s non-factory checkering but looks to be nicely executed!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pick up a Pact shoulder pad. They have several different ones all under $40. I have one if I'm shooting a lot of rounds at the range or some of the heavier recoilers and works well for me at the bench.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought a Caldwell lead sled 29 years ago just for this reason. And it holds any long gun in adjustable shooting positions, made for bench rest shooting in eliminating most of the human holding error. I put a 100 lbs on the lead sled and a 458 Winchester shoots like a 22 long rifle !!

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Gosh, if you’re going to put on a red dot, maybe go for a suppressor too. Add a ventilated hand guard and maybe a light rail….. Or not. 🤔

It looks good now. Collectors be damned. Just load mild for it and enjoy it like it is.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
I think the Deluxe would have the inletted sling swivel bases. These are the same as the Super Grade pre '64s.
Have a great day.
Jim

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

That’s non-factory checkering but looks to be nicely executed!

Thanks. It does look nice on my screen. 👍🏼

I think I’m gonna “NEED” a 71 too one of these days. I’ve always liked the rifle and the round but I just gave my Uncle my last 50 .348 rounds….

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
JWL is correct, generally as to Deluxe M-71s having inletted sling swivel bases.
But I own at least two 71 long tang pre-war standards that have inletted sling swivels.
Stocks and forends can be switched out, but original factory wood is getting scarce and pricey.

With some of the modern 348 bullets that can be found, wildcats on the 348 case may
not be really necessary. Unless you live in Alaska or Canada, or guide in MT or Wyoming...
That said, I still have 2 pre-war 71s in 450 Alaskan and Fuller. Just in case the bear spray just
irritates the bear...

My hunting dog can pound your San Francisco pink poodle right into the voting booth...."

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
It is a 1952 gun and the checkering definitely looks like it was done later. In the close ups it shows some mistakes but it will do for now. I am not sure if it could be cleaned up or not. I have wondered if the high grade Browning stocks could be made to fit easily?

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Anyone know off hand which barrel band sling stud would fit the mag tube?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This 71 as pictured has the late serrated hammer and earlier in its history had a G&H sidemount
which was very strong but added weight. It looks like a Lyman 56 receiver sight. The sidemount
screw and pin holes should be left as is-as the cost would be prohibitive and still not original.
It also is an obvious late short tang rifle.
If one must have a recoil pad, the Pachmayer actually will reduce felt recoil.

The Model 71 was designed not to need a recoil pad-since the weight of the rifle dampens its effect- but
the red Winchester 1922 pad will work and looks good. George Madis rightly stated in the Winchester 71 pages
that some earlier rifles were fitted with that pad at the factory. A magazine tube sling stud may be out there
but unless original, the sling swivels will not usually fit without serious alteration.

If it was my rifle, would fit a sling-or not-and keep it as is-spend the savings on a new pad
and 348 reloading components, which you may already have.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve wondered how the browning stocks would fit with original 71s but haven’t been able to find any confirmation on that topic.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
I would leave that nice old rifle the way it is. It is not a deluxe, so what, use it. Hawk makes great bullets for the .348s. A 200 gr bullet at 2400 FPS will be a great hunting round and not too bad on the back end. My .348 is a '57 and is a deluxe. Rifles are not built like this anymore.
Have a great day.
Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,662
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.