-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't until my 7 Mag scope knocked me in the head that I realized that all I was doing with that magnum was blowing the hell out of the woods behind the deer that I was shooting. Out west then sure, but at our advancing age I'm sure not chasing an elk out there again. My 7mm-08 with lighter bullets croaks my deer even faster with less fuss than that 7 Mag did using heavier bullets so that I wouldn't wreck them. Not much fun at the bench shooting a magnum either. I'd leave that 77 right where you found it.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
HR IC

S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
As I recall it is a Model 70. I'll be in the Gunshop where the trade deal is being handled next week and check it out.

I shot a couple box's at the range when I 1st "inherited" it from a dealer I had helped get into bidnizz umm some 30 +years ago umm as a help to get me able to tolerate any kind of CF huntable rifle 5-6+ years ago.

Back then I was still inhabited with a shooting shoulder that was full of trash & bone spurs and was still getting over the surgery to remove all of the spurs left over from Dallas VA's efforts to remove a very large "fist" sized tumor on my neck behind & under my right ear and left all kinds of trash in my shoulder and the ball joint connection on my upper arm

The little rifle Shoots pretty decent out to about 150 yards at most but ammo has always a "witch" to find, and I just never warmed up to the 7x57's lack of reach, way shorter than my 270's, once I healed up 18-24 months later and could brush my teeth and comb my hair normally again.

I first tried to get back into fooling around with reloading stuff but could not even tolerate the Super Lite 5 lb rifle I found at a close out "shooting" nuthing but Primers, and swapped the bare nekkid 5lb'er+ off to a guy in Tennessee for a Tikka Swede that had enough weight ...but just never shot it much at all and sold it 2 weeks ago.

A local Auction house here has some shooters and the monster sized Auction House down south of me is on my list of places I just gotta go see sooner or later, if the bigger 7Rmg boomer is still too much for me but I found a cherry Browning 300 Wmg here in town at the big Auction House...still just tooo much money though.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 09/16/23. Reason: cain't spell too gooder anymore
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sakoron
As I recall it is a Model 70. I'll be in the Gunshop where the trade deal is being handled next week and check it out. I shot a couple box's at the range when I 1st "inherited" it from a dealer I helped get into bidnizz umm some 30+0 years ago umm as a help to get me able to tolerate any kind of CF huntable 5-6 years ago.

Back then I was still inhabited with a shooting shoulder that was full of trash & bone spurs and was still getting over the surgery to remove all of the spurs left over from Dallas VA's efforts to remove a very large "fist" sized tumor on my neck behind & under my right ear and left all kinds of trash in my shoulder and the ball joint.

The little rifle Shoots pretty decent out to about 200 yards at most but ammo was always a "witch" to find, and I just never warmed up to the 7x57's lack of reach, way shorter than my 270's, once I healed up 18-24 months later and could brush my teeth and comb my hair normally again.
Ron
A good load will help that 7x57 and it's "reach".

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I think most rifles really are lightly used- either people don’t have many rifles because they don’t shoot that much, or guys that shoot a ton have a bunch of rifles to switch between. I’d say most of us fall into the latter group!
You would not think that if you looked at the bore scope photos from my Ruger #1 in 7mm STW, with almost two inches of alligator skin. Or a Savage 110 in 22-243AI, or a Rem 700 in 6mm-284. The Win 70 classic in 264 has already been to Pac-Nor.

I did not roast the barrel on a Win 70 XTR in 7mm mag. But found that it was when purchased from Gunbroker last year. Shaw took care of that one for me.

There are a lot of rifles out there which are anything but LIGHTLY used.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
As I recall it is a Model 70. I'll be in the Gunshop where the trade deal is being handled next week and check it out. I shot a couple box's at the range when I 1st "inherited" it from a dealer I helped get into bidnizz umm some 30+0 years ago umm as a help to get me able to tolerate any kind of CF huntable 5-6 years ago.

Back then I was still inhabited with a shooting shoulder that was full of trash & bone spurs and was still getting over the surgery to remove all of the spurs left over from Dallas VA's efforts to remove a very large "fist" sized tumor on my neck behind & under my right ear and left all kinds of trash in my shoulder and the ball joint.

The little rifle Shoots pretty decent out to about 200 yards at most but ammo was always a "witch" to find, and I just never warmed up to the 7x57's lack of reach, way shorter than my 270's, once I healed up 18-24 months later and could brush my teeth and comb my hair normally again.
Ron

Do an AI re-chamber, then you'll have another "270".

I lucked into an HVA Dlx model with an older VariX 3-9 on top that was re-chambered from 7X57 to AI at my local pawn shop years ago...$200.00 OTD. It's my favorite antelope rifle, plenty of reach and spooky accurate with 140 Accubonds.

I can't understand the fear of the 7RM's recoil. It's a pussycat in everything but a Ruger boat paddle.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The downfall to the Ruger 77, is they seem to kick harder than a comparable Rem 700 or Winchester model 70. Maybe stock shape/ergo's?? Who knows? A swap from a Winchester model 70 7x57 to a Ruger m77 7mm rem mag seems like a very poor swap, personally.

If you don't mind me asking, what model 70 7x57 was it? Also, what do you consider "too longish", that the 7x57 won't handle??

Absolutely on the recoil.
You want 300 mag kick but a lighter round, buy a 77.

Though my ex-BIL was a pussy complaining about his 77 7mag.
Until I shot it.
Dads Weatherby and my Sako were pussycats by comparison.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/16/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As I recall it is a Model 70. I'll be in the Gunshop where the trade deal is being handled next week and check it out.

I shot a couple box's at the range when I 1st "inherited" it from a dealer I had helped get into bidnizz umm some 30 +years ago umm as a help to get me able to tolerate any kind of CF huntable rifle 5-6+ years ago.

Back then I was still inhabited with a shooting shoulder that was full of trash & bone spurs and was still getting over the surgery to remove all of the spurs left over from Dallas VA's efforts to remove a very large "fist" sized tumor on my neck behind & under my right ear and left all kinds of trash in my shoulder and the ball joint connection on my upper arm

The little rifle Shoots pretty decent out to about 150 yards at most but ammo has always a "witch" to find, and I just never warmed up to the 7x57's lack of reach, way shorter than my 270's, once I healed up 18-24 months later and could brush my teeth and comb my hair normally again.

I first tried to get back into fooling around with reloading stuff but could not even tolerate the Super Lite 5 lb rifle I found at a close out "shooting" nuthing but Primers, and swapped the bare nekkid 5lb'er+ off to a guy in Tennessee for a Tikka Swede that had enough weight ...but just never shot it much at all and sold it 2 weeks ago.

A local Auction house here has some shooters and the monster sized Auction House down south of me is on my list of places I just gotta go see sooner or later, if the bigger 7Rmg boomer is still too much for me but I found a cherry Browning 300 Wmg here in town at the big Auction House...still just tooo much money though.
Ron

Many many "model 70" variations. Some worth more than others. That is where I'd start. Let us know which one you have and then go from there. Don't trust a gunshop, unless you know them very well and know they are not there to screw you. There are some Ruger 77's that are also worth more than some Winchester model 70's, but without anyone knowing what you have, we can not help as far as valuation. Like I said earlier though, if I were looking for a good 7mm rem mag, or any other magnum rifle, I'd be looking at Winchester first.
I also hate to get into specifics on the 7x57, in terms of ballistic efficiency and ability of the cartridge, but I'd hunt a 7x57 and also feel confident out to any sane shooting distance on a big game critter with one. It would have to be a great shooting rifle though. That would be my only stipulation on the 7x57, or any other cartridge for that matter. Sub moa out to 600 yards and you are golden. The ability to put the bullet in the right spot on the first shot takes precedence over just about everything else, and a magnum is no such guarantee that it's going to produce those results consistently...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The downfall to the Ruger 77, is they seem to kick harder than a comparable Rem 700 or Winchester model 70. Maybe stock shape/ergo's?? Who knows? A swap from a Winchester model 70 7x57 to a Ruger m77 7mm rem mag seems like a very poor swap, personally.

If you don't mind me asking, what model 70 7x57 was it? Also, what do you consider "too longish", that the 7x57 won't handle??
Yup

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickinTN
I don’t believe you’re gonna kill anything with it that you couldn’t with your 270. A magnum doesn’t make you a long range marksman. If you just like the rifle, and don’t mind the extra recoil then go ahead! I’m a rifle nut too!
Good luck, and take care!
Rick
Yes again

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
If it’s an old tanger you’ll feel like you got kicked in the head by a mule every time you pull the trigger. If you’re a glutton for punishment I say go for it. I’m 62 and keep steering towards lighter kickers. 6.5x55, 7x57 and 308 with a can. You already have what I need to get the job done and have fun doing it.
+1

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ruger 77 recoil would bring tears to my eyes. I'm apparently not built for that stock configuration. Been looking for a Mod 70 FWT 7x57 for years however.. Still looking.

G

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by okie john
Not sure that I'd go back to the magnum boomers at all.

Okie John

That's kind of where I am at age 62...

I’ve been there since 2008. Not going back to magnums unless I go to Africa. No need anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure not going back to Ruger 77's in magnum rounds. Had the 7mm Rem and 338 Win and I'm fortunate not to have developed a flinch. Never again. Actually I don't think I ever need another 77 again in any chambering

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The red pad on those Ruger 77's is solid hard rubber.I got one in a 338 Win Mag.Though I could tolerate the recoil,it didn't make me like it.I changed out the pad and put a Limbsaver on it.What a difference that made.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Ron

Do an AI re-chamber, then you'll have another "270".

I lucked into an HVA Dlx model with an older VariX 3-9 on top that was re-chambered from 7X57 to AI at my local pawn shop years ago...$200.00 OTD. It's my favorite antelope rifle, plenty of reach and spooky accurate with 140 Accubonds.

I can't understand the fear of the 7RM's recoil. It's a pussycat in everything but a Ruger boat paddle.
Agreed! The Ruger Zytel boat paddle stock were extremely durable, but not comfortable especially on magnum rifles! The wood stock was designed by Lenard Brownell, a chap who knew a “thing or two” about stock design & layout.

S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just catching up with a week full of problems vehicle problems, and still arguing with the Insurance guys lack of completely settling the couple K$'s of Hail Damage from couple months back ...we have already paid $3k and the new paint job is already peeling ......If any body wants I'll PM the contact info on the the dealer where the 7x57 is on display last week before the Ford pooped on itself and my wallet.

Sometime PDQ we are planning a trip before manana to go down to Trinity Texas to shop a mega sized Sporting Goods Auction House before the auction close's Thursday nite @ 7PM

OTOH If I do come home with the Ruger Big 7 from the tiny shop in the next County North of me tomorrow and I get to go over the Ruger with a fine tooth comb on the Ruger and give it a bland Enh' ....So What ....in the fit and feel, the outfit in Trinity Texas is not tooooo far for a day trip to pickup whatever I can win from the On Line Auction before the Thursday Nite Close and go get whatever I can win before the weekend Out of Staters' show up to pickover the No Shows leavings.

Right now the guys in Trinity got several other possible life long shooters up for sale that have seriously caught my attention.and IF I Don't really get to liking the Ruger PDQ makes for a easy dropoff place too.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 09/18/23.
S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
There is another door to open here. Recently an old friend and trusted Road Partner from back in the Road Warrior Days offered me his Tikka T3 30'06 at full pop....might have had 4-5 box's of ammo thru it but it's never been hunted .... Right before I hung up on the Road Warrior mantra, I told him I had put Tikka's in Academy stores chain wide, and they had sold them OK but not too Houston Mgmt's complete and total satisfaction is what I heard thru the grapevine..... So after I went to work elsewhere I made sure all my old Road Buddies knew about the planned Tikka close out and when and in which stores to watch. My CG buddy meanwhile had tried to get me to join him in putting together a USCG program and he went into the CG as a fulltime #2 Senior Officer full time.

Long story short my buddy had also put together a response when Katrina hit under the "Cajun Navy" idea that resulted in his later becoming the #2 at CG station New Orleans, and working hand in glove with the National Guard General Russell Honore.....then my friend got big time sick and damn near died after running the BP Spill Recovery, and has pretty much been living on an air tank ever since.

Couple months ago we talked about old times one night until my wife thru a shoe at me to get me go to bed with our travel scheduled for the next week looming and when can we get together again, but face to face. So when I started to think about dumping my Tikka T3 Swede and getting something bigger and he priced his cherry T3 30'06 to me at a reasonable $ but w/out his big Leopy Scope...and I'd already sold my T3 Swede thru another friend from the old Days shop...it might be time to re think all of these po boy dreams

Where all this is going is just this.... if'n I do pick up the Ruger Boomer and don't like it for any reason I do have a fall back position by dumping the R77 7Mg and picking up my CG friend's Too Pretty to Hunt or Sell T3 '06 to just anyone,.... I think all his family and last brother have already Passed...Too Soon
I don't think I'll miss the 7Rmg but I gotta try it out anyway.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 09/19/23. Reason: clarity
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Downsides to ruger 7 mags is twist rate and mag box length. They can be a bit heavy to and usually need a better recoil pad and trigger.

I'm really liking my 7prc seekins havak. I think the 7 prc is just the right size 7 and it works well in all long action mags and comes twisted right in factory offerings. I think it's really going to take off. I always loved the 7 wsm as a favorite 7 but it just didn't fit well in most short actions. I think it's about ideal capacity wise for drive thin skined LR bullets from a fast twist barrel in a hunting weight rifle.

I was excited years ago when gunwerks came out with the 7 lrm thinking it was the perfect 7 so I immediately had them chamber a rifle for me. Then I had problems with it and I figured their new brass had too thick necks for their chamber. I sent it back and they claimed they shot it and was great and really accurate. However it came back just as clean and copper free as when I sent it in. I finally concluded I was right and either needed to start neck turning their brass or move on. I moved on but always want something similar and that's what the 7 prc is. I think the 7 prc is about as close to perfect as any 7 ever and my necks fit the chamber.

Find the rifle you like and I bet it will soon be available in a 7 prc. No belt, fast twist, mag box friendly length, great place velocity/capacity wise.

Bb

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't understand the problem with the Ruger rifles and recoil. I use a Hawkeye 270win, 30-06, 308 scout, 338 Alaskan, and the small and light Ruger compact rifle in 338RCM. Of these the 338RCM recoils most but it's not unbearable and the 270win is very mild and even my 338win isn't that bad.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I no longer use the mags I have. A 257 Roberts and a 7x57AI work just fine, as does a vanilla .308.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.