Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Does anyone know if a Siamese Mauser can be converted to 30-30? I’ve seen lots of references to conversions to 30-40 krag or 45-70, but not as much about 30-30.

I’ve wanted a model 54 in 30-30 for a while, but thought up this as another route to go that could be an even stronger rifle.

GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Compare the rim sizes for your answer. It could be done, but probably easier to convert a standard 98 to .30-30

K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
It looks like 30-30 is .506 rim size while the 8x52r Siamese round is .565 rim size. I think a 30-30 project benefits from the feed angle being set up for the rimmed cartridges already. But I am asking to see if anyone else has tried it or can make a solid guess based on those numbers.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Again, the .30-30 rim is smaller. So, boltface issues and extractor issues. Easier to use a std 98. open boltface, adjust extractor, modify the magazine.

Conversely, you can bush a Siamese boltface and get a really good weldor to weld material on your extractor.

Just get youself a 54.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
z1r

What about the original cartridge, 45-70 in a 98 action?

OR

30-30 in 98
What about modifying side rails, is that needed?
Modify the magazine to make up for the rims or taper or both?
Rounds loaded with the rims ALWAYS in front of the round below?

Last edited by LouisB; 01/17/23.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My choice would be a 788 in 30-30

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a nice Savage 325 in .30-30. But like the 54 Better.

Converting a std 98 to .45-70 is not for the faint of heart. Even the Siamese, which was designed for a rimmed cartridge, is fickle when it comes to feeding. You have to know what you are doing.

K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I’m wanting the 54, but looking for the right one. Then got to thinking over whether a Mauser was an alternative. I don’t know why a bolt 30-30 seems like so much fun

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
I don’t know why a bolt 30-30 seems like so much fun

Because they are fun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Even my little Savage is lots of fun. A receiver sight is a nice addition. Makes for a light, easy recoiling rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Any aversion to just making it a single shot? As others have said making a Mauser feed a rimmed cartridge is an exercise in frustration, but it can be done if you're not opposed to severe cussing. The advice of seeking out a M54 is sound advise, mine is a "cold dead hands" gun. 788 .30-30's have gotten pricey and I doubt there's much difference between one and a M54 anymore. Savage 340's are ok, but not the sharpest knives in the drawer, IMO.

Altering the bolt face will be a requirement for a rimmed cartridge, I think. Laying some weld on the extractor hook is no big deal for a skilled TIG welder, then dress it to fit.

Here is an illustration of what I'm talking about, albeit on an '03 Springfield, but same-o same-o. (The conversion was to make it hold the R2 Lovell wildcat, an obsolete rimmed wildcat. Single shot functioning - but I don't care as it's a range gun not a hunting rifle.):

The ring you see in the bolt face encloses the rim perfectly. It's 3/8" inside diameter. For the .30-30 size rim I would chuck the bolt in a lathe and open the existing rim on the standard bolt face a touch (darned if I can remember if the Mauser even has that rim though), then make and install the new ring that fits the .30-30, to keep some decent thickness of material in the ring.

On second thought, perhaps all that is necessary when altering a standard M98 is to open the enclosure on the bolt face to .506". I'll assume that the bolt face of a Siamese Mauser would have to be bushed since the parent cartridge has a .564" rim diameter?

Or get a M54. grin

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/17/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
I don’t know why a bolt 30-30 seems like so much fun

Because they are fun.

Even my little Savage is lots of fun. A receiver sight is a nice addition. Makes for a light, easy recoiling rifle.

That's the twin to my .30-30, including the receiver sight. For range fun I install a 10x Unertl target scope utilizing the two factory screw holes on the receiver ring plus the barrel dovetail to accommodate the scope blocks. When rigged like that it returns astonishing accuracy, decidedly sub-MOA - with cast bullets. Nice thing about employing a scope setup like that is no worries about the standard factory bolt handle clearing it - plenty of clearance.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Single shot won’t work for my planned use case. Wanting to carry it while hunting pigs with a dog. I’ve used model 94’s and had fun with it that way, but a model 54 with a receiver sight just seems like a lot of fun. If I can just fine the right one I guess.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I can't imagine why anyone would convert a Siamese Mauser to 30-30 other than same reason men climb mountains... "Because they're there!" smile I have several Models 54 in carbine and one in rifle configs. Also a Model 788 and a Model 40 Savage. I have no experience with the latter Savage rifles but believe there's a passel out there and prices should be relatively good!

The first thing occurring to me in conversion, as referenced above, is going from rimless to rimmed round. A PITA alone of bolt face, feed rails and magazine/follower all likely to requiring work + fussing!

Then the comparison with the models noted above as 'of factory production & out there'. Of course likely short of conversion 'fun' slamming head into walls & such consequential! Then too, the folks like me that viewing such with the nicest comment conjuring... "Isn't that err... different!" (Maybe such as a SMLE Jungle Carbine Bubba special to further convert as praiseworthy??? :))
Otherwise, Pass-Nope, almost surely far more economical just to buy a 'factory' edition. Either for 'as-is' or as an action donor for whatever config. The aside, I'd not recommend the Savage as more 'iffy' condition & parts can be problematic.

The Win 54 is the CRF gem with the distinction of having an action specifically designed for that singular round! Really! These were only factory available in the earlier Mod 54 edition & for several years late twenties-early thirties. But they were great era-quality guns. The Rem 788 is also a sweet rifle as above noted. Also with scope application possibilities without further fuss! Also the clip detachable feature as versatile.. Just don't lose it! smile

The 30-30 bolt rifles can be a lot of fun, but as 'project gun, my belief most all such 'projects' not worth reinventing that wheel!
Just my take!
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 01/17/23.
K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I’ll take you word for it with regards to the model 54, especially if we can see our way to a deal on one of those several carbines you have.

I was talking about Siamese specifically though because it is a rimmed cartridge rifle so it wouldn’t be rimless to rimmed conversion. Just would be going to a smaller rim so could be issues there.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Make it a 45-70, really enjoy mine . Better to find something else already chambered for 30-30.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Returned, citing my earlier Post here as "further readings here since then. I guess it's great when you have the 4Ties... Time, Tools, Talent & Tenacity. Of the four, I'm short of 5, as adding dedicated workspace including a "rant" closet! smile
But moved to serious as first of all, if having to contract all work out. The 'average' likely cost I'd guess $1000+. For that, buy the Model 54 a gun you should be able to at least get your money back in a few years and long term likely a nice profit. Your "creation", short of very novel or work of art, likely you won't break even unless very long lifetime ignoring climate change will take us all! I don't see any advantage unless you're a truly skilled gunsmith and even then... What could you sell those hours labor for? A tradeoff!

Most collector guns, technically aren't because of D&T and pad installed! The death kiss. Those the best targeted specimens. There are also a bazillion "push feed" rifles out there with wide choices. The non-collectibles as "ho hum". I'd mentioned above in humor, but seriously 'what about' a SMLE No. 4? A flat bolt face & made for rimmed rounds, just bigger ones.
OK! I'm done! smile
Best!
John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about a Mosin Nagant? I've heard of guys building .30-30's and other calibers on the MN action. It's fairly strong too.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kenster99
Make it a 45-70, really enjoy mine . Better to find something else already chambered for 30-30.
Nice rifle. Never had one, although I have several 45-70 rifles.

That bullet looks like a 250 gr. or 300 gr. Barnes TSX’s.

The 250 can be pushed at 2,500 fps, Barnes Marlin data. Your rifle is stronger than the Marlin, you can probably use Ruger #1 data.

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
And I do use the #1 data. No problems .

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the 788 in .30-30, love the rifle. I'd love to find a Winchester 54, that I could afford. The 788 will stick around until I find a better rifle.

I do know there were some Swiss K31 straight pull rifle converted to .30-30. That might make a nice pig rifle if you can find one. Though there are a lot of other cartridges that duplicate .30-30 performance that are a lot easier to make work in a bolt action.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,905
Posts18,479,395
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.