-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was out shooting my RIA 1911 45 that I've had for over a decade, and has gone through several thousand rounds. Shooting lead semi-wadcutters, I had a first, a round with no powder. I could tell right away something was up and sure enough the primer pushed the bullet just far enough into the barrel that I was done for the day. When I got home I used a dowel to tap the bullet out and took the opportunity to clean it up as well. When I was done cleaning, I figured I'd scope the barrel so see if the squib did any obvious damage. I was amazed to find these radial marks down the entire barrel, and some that looked pretty deep. I guess it's time for a new barrel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has the accuracy degraded?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That barrel interior looks pretty typical for an older RIA 1911. While such radial tool marks don’t do much to inspire confidence, they have not proved to be significantly detrimental to performance, as it seems you’ve learned over the years you’ve had the pistol and the thousands of rounds you’ve fired through it. However, with newer equipment and tooling, the interior quality of RIA’s barrels has been improved since then. If you’re so inclined, you could contact the head guy at RIA Customer Service (louarmscor.com) to inquire whether you might be able to acquire a new barrel at no cost under the RIA Limited Lifetime Warranty or, if not, maybe get a price reduction to have a new barrel expertly fitted to your pistol by one of RIA’s experienced gunsmiths. If you ask real nice, you can count on getting one of three answers: Yes, no, or hell no. But, I’m thinking you’ll likely be pleased.

Every day’s an adventure.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
With a $3-400 MSRP on a 1911, it is never good to look too close at any part(s) of that gun. If it goes bang, get happy. There is no free lunch.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
How does it shoot? Is it still shooting well? Is it leading pretty bad?

If it shoots well, still, and isn't leading much, who cares much about what it looks like thru a borescope? Let the results guide you, not appearances.

If it bugs you really badly, do as exchipy suggests, or buy an aftermarket and have it fit up. Even then, it might not shoot as well as the current, unappealing in appearance, pipe.

When I was competing regularly, I ran nearly 100K rounds of cast bullets thru two or three different barrels, with no discernible wear ( I was swapping from one compensated barrel to another, and back to the original factory barrel) and none of them showed any signs of wear. (Colt, Wilson, Centaur Systems). When I sold the pistol, it shot better than it did when brand new, though it DID have a hard-fit match bushing. I'm now of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" bunch, though I used to experiment a lot with various stuff to enhance my IPSC scores.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 09/17/23.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Take a look at all your barrels. You’ll see [bleep] and wonder how some guns even hits the broad side of a barn. But they are accurate.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Using a light and a magnifying glass, I can see tool marks in the factory barrel of my pre 64' model 70 Winchester. It's very accurate, and I'd not even consider re-barelling it.

I have a Colt Series 80 made when quality was supposedly spotty at the livery. It has the nicest looking rifling I've ever seen, and delivers what I consider as match grade accuracy with cast lead target loads.

Go figure?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bore scopes and chronographs have broke a lot of hearts.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by mart
Bore scopes and chronographs have broke a lot of hearts.

It’s twoo, it’s twoo. 😁

Those marks have been there since the gun was new.

Last edited by navlav8r; 09/17/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,218
Posts18,504,079
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.