Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bluefish
And yet people like O'Connor got by with 3x and 4x scopes and Hemingway usually used a peep. Have our eyes gotten worse in the last 80-100 years?
Mine have, and in less time. grin

Dale

GB1

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Leupold VXIII 2.5X8X36... GOD uses one...
I can testfy it's so!
That's what I used in southern Limpopo province and also central Namibia. The first was brushy, some places game would not be visible unless within 25 yards, the biggest openings were around 225. Namibia was more open, to as far as you cared to shoot. even so, on 20 critters my longest shot was just over 300 yards. I never considered myself to be under-scoped, and in fact never went over 6x.

Dale

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And yet people like O'Connor got by with 3x and 4x scopes and Hemingway usually used a peep. Have our eyes gotten worse in the last 80-100 years?
Reliable variables such as a good 3-9 were not available in 1933 for Hemingway's safari, nor in the early years for Jack O'Connor. Using a fixed 8 power (for example) would be a huge disadvantage for off-hand shooting, so the most viable option would be a low-powered fixed power of around 3x in the 1930's. I don't think Hemingway was a really serious hunter, notwithstanding his African safari.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 09/05/23.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Has been done and will continue being done for over 100 years.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

>but how many animals did they shoot at or wound with those low power scopes ? Hemingway was a smart rich person but drank a lot so i would not say his way of hunting was anything to be proud of .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will work well and it always has. That is why it has been around over a hundred years and one of the top sellers in rifles, ammo and components. I guess that is enough said for now and all time on this cartridge. Really nothing left to prove..........................

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took my dad's old .30-06 Remington 03A3 with walnut Fajen stock and Bausch & Lomb Straight 8 scope to Namibia this past June, and, horror of horrors, I used the dreaded cup and core Sierra 150 gr FBSP, an old, old, way, way outdated bullet, for hunting.

My PH was totally, unequivocally, shocked, I tell you, that the old combo worked. Nothing plastic. Nothing stainless steel. A scope that doesn't even have one turret, much less two, so no twisty, turny adjustments, since the adjustments are in the mounts. Or even a fandangled adjustable trigger set to 2lbs, 11 oz, and 12 grams.

The old girl did just fine on gemsbok, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, and a couple of jackals. The gemsbok was one shot (as were the others) about 265 yards facing slightly right. Bullet hit where aimed, point of shoulder, the bullet going through the heart and on back into the paunch. The bullet failed, of course, since it didn't look as new when recovered, save rifling marks. It was a bit worse for wear, didn't weigh what it started out at, and couldn't be used again.

Dad never got to go to Africa, and I don't know as he ever had the desire to do so since he died in 1974, and we never spoke of Africa as I recall. I do know that had he gone, he would have used that rifle combo on everything he would have hunted. It worked for him through the late 50' and early 60's, and up until he built his .25-06 in 1967, before the .25-06 became a thing from the factory.

The only PITA was having to remove the scope mount to read the SN going through SA and Namibia.

It's nice to know that old combo still works. I think dad knew that.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
again thanks for all the posts,thoughts and recommended things too. thank you , Pete53

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by pete53

>but how many animals did they shoot at or wound with those low power scopes ? Hemingway was a smart rich person but drank a lot so i would not say his way of hunting was anything to be proud of .

What was his way of hunting?

The way life should be.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

i could care less blue fishy what you post or think > i will use a 30-06 ,Nosler bullets , Nightforce scope , my hand loads and i believe i will do just fine . just go away with your negative foolish posts .

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I asked a question and you respond with that? Lighten up,Francis. You made a claim about Papa and I asked you to clarify. Comprende? No need to be a dick.

The way life should be.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
troll just go away

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
I used the 30-06 with my handload using the 168 gr TSX in Namibia a bit ago and, of course, it worked very well.

That is my hunting load for the M1 rifle, and they are hard to catch.

Would expect them to work on almost anything.

GR

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
troll just go away

Again one simple question about your claim concerning EH and his alleged hunting style the details of which are not even clear from your post hence my question. Frankly I doubt you have an answer thus you are the one trolling your own thread. Brilliant!

The way life should be.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
does not matter EH committed suicide , so continue your negative or maybe even positive post . thanks much for all your posts " makes me laugh " ,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 10/17/23.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Drinking a lot, and selling stories about it, sounds good to me.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by plumbum

Drinking a lot, and selling stories about it, sounds good to me.

yes that is the truth !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ernest Hemingway's life was so wonderful that he eventually killed himself, so it obviously didn't make him happy in the long run.

He was a great writer though, no doubt about that, and I've read most of his books.

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I don't think it was using a 30-06 hunting that made EH top himself -it probably caused him to live longer simply due to the happiness resulting from using such a superb cartridge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took my oldest son over to Namibia when he was 13yo. He used a 30-06 with 165gr. trophy bonded bullets. Had absolutely no problem tipping over animals.

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,728
Posts18,475,912
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.