Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Picked up a custom built 458 Lott made by Arctic Gunworks today, this things has seen years of backcountry carrying judging by the look. Built on a Montana 1999 action, Borden Rimrock stock and weighing precisely 8 pounds 0 ounces, this thing was clearly somebodies stopping / guide rifle. Took it out and ran full house 500's through it today and it kicks like none other. No muzzle brake, damn near uncontrollable. My unbraked 378 Weatherby that I also took out today was absolutely a tame pussycat by comparison...

Anybody seen this rifle around before?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Arctic Gunworks was in Fairbanks for many years....Gary Junk was the owner/gunsmith. He closed the shop several years ago and last I knew he was doing some things out of his house in the North Pole area. I left that area in 2019 so maybe someone still there will have more info and you may be able to track him down.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That rifle is cool!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gary is still around
https://arcticgunworksak.com/

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice…..that appears to be “one sweet rifle”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Gary has some very good deals out there. Its a nice little shop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's a crabby bastard but he knows his s***

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Called him up, sent some pictures, and spent a bunch of time chatting. Enjoyed talking to Gary and am shipping the rifle back to him for restoring to working order and a little bit of barrel porting to make it useable. It's pretty beat up right now, missing the rear sight (broke off with one screw still in the barrel!), the bolt stop is AWOL, the blueing is mostly missing, and the ejector is no longer springy but loose. Excited to get this one cleaned up and running right.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
After you get it ship-shape, and shoot it again, who are you going to get your eyeballs turned around facing forward again? smile smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Neat gun. I dont like recoil but have shot a few Lott rounds over the years. I didn’t find it any worse than 12 ga slugs we use for deer hunting here.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
question is ... is the barrel one of those "air gauged " super duper $50 tent pegs that the smiths of old charged a premium for, plus the work ?

cracks me up every time some gundummy ol fart lays it on thick with the "air gauged" crap then I tellem "that's old shyte tech, now it's all oxygen gauged for superior accuracy, lol

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
Do NOT allow Gary Junk to touch any firearm.

His B.S. porting is drilling holes & drilling the muzzle w/ no regard to facing the crown.

Sight screw hole(s) may enter the bore w/ a few threads obstructing projectile exit.

I personally would NOT allow Gary Junk to touch a Red Rider BB gun.

Gary Junk is a HACK Master,beyond Bubba Smithin' & needs/deserves a good ole down home AZZ woopin'

You have been fore warned.

Thank me later!!

Last edited by DANS40XC; 09/22/23.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
TFF
😆

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DANS40XC
OP,
Do NOT allow Gary Junk to touch any firearm.

His B.S. porting is drilling holes & drilling the muzzle w/ no regard to facing the crown.

Sight screw hole(s) may enter the bore w/ a few threads obstructing projectile exit.

I personally would NOT allow Gary Junk to touch a Red Rider BB gun.

Gary Junk is a HACK Master,beyond Bubba Smithin' & needs/deserves a good ole down home AZZ woopin'

You have been fore warned.

Thank me later!!

This is the general consensus around fairbanks, he would probably send it out to reblue anyway.

You would be better off finding a local smith that you can deal with face to face...just my opinion

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
what a cool rifle....how fun it would be to know about the adventures it's been on.
I remember shooting a friends 458 Lott, his elephant gun, it left an impression for sure and it was 10+ pounds.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well this is good info, thanks everyone who posted, I was going to ship it back to him early next week. Rethinking that plan now... Not to be rude, but does anybody have first hand or eyes on experience with something he screwed up?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The website has text written by his grandchildren ?

"WHY TRUST US
You can speak directly to our gunsmith, in person, about any questions you may have regarding the status of your service or any gun-related queries you may have.
We offer a 72-hour turnaround time after drop-off.
Our gun repair services and parts sales are extended to Alaska Bush communities.
We offer one of the most extensive ranges of guns, both new and pre-owned, ammunition, equipment, and gun parts in the state of Alaska.
Our product range and customer service are world-class.
Our workmanship is backed by decades of experience and skill.
Our gunsmith has decades of experience in restoration services."

Sappy as a Hallmark Channel movie.

That .458 Lott might have a SAAMI chamber if it was put together on an MRC 1999 action. Kind of newish.
If so, fix it by running a SAAMI .458 Win Mag chamber reamer into it,
for more velocity at lower pressure.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
No problems at all with Gary. He has mellowed out to a greater level and his new shop and area is nice. He does live at the ends of the earth in North Pole but he is extremely knowledgeable and great to talk to. I would trust him but I have other gunsmiths in the area that I have a better relationship with. That is my take.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Every major gunshop in the entire state of Alaska has done work on rifles for me, to include Gary. Never a bad experience yet. I'm not saying others haven't had a bad experience, just that everyone in this state did good work for me.

Garry was even kind enough to send me home with some free hard cast bullets for fire forming brass in one of my wildcat creations.

Gunsmithing is a hard profession to make a good living. Even if one of them needed to de-do something, i wont sht on any of them smiths, on a public forum. I always leave a good tip, these guys don't get paid enough.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/28/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,100
Posts18,483,097
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.