Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It was just a matter of time, but still not a good thing.

Quagga mussels found under the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls. This is going to cost beaucoup bucks for farmers trying to keep irrigation water flowing, sprinklers running and pivots turning. Ditto for the fish farmers all around that stretch. The State is pretending they are going to do something about it, but that cat is out of the bag, fellas.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/...quagga-mussel-larvae-in-the-snake-river/

TWIN FALLS — The Idaho State Department of Agriculture confirmed Monday the presence of quagga mussel larvae in the Centennial Waterfront Park area of the Snake River. Multiple samples of quagga mussel at larval life stages have been found in the Twin Falls area by ISDA’s early detection monitoring program.

The findings mark the first time a rapid response plan has been put into action for quagga mussels in Idaho. ISDA is implementing a rapid response plan that includes notifying impacted entities, implementing containment measures, conducting delimiting surveys and evaluating for potential treatment options.

“These invasive pests will clog pipes that deliver water for drinking, energy, agriculture, and recreation,” Governor Little said. “This is a very high priority for Idaho and for me, given the gravity of the risk. If we are not successful, an unchecked spread – which we are doing all we can to stop – has the potential to cost Idaho hundreds of millions of actual and indirect costs. Thankfully, we caught the mussels early on and have already started a robust response to get these mussels OUT of our waters. We need everyone to support these efforts.”

ISDA is asking for the public’s cooperation in staying out of the water in the Centennial Waterfront Park area, in an effort to contain the mussel populations. ISDA staff and boats will be in the water performing delimiting surveys to determine the physical range of the impacted area. Boat ramps and public access to the water are closed temporarily.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sucks.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sure does suck.

When I had a place in Bayview and traveled to other waters the State had aggressive check stations all over. The big weakness was they were only open during business hours.

I sure hate to see this. I love the State and it's waters.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve
That sucks.

When you are walking on a bed that’s 4 inches thick on the Huron River, it really brings it home just how screwed we are here in the USA…

IIRC That was 2009ish.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
the presence of quagga mussel larvae in the Centennial Waterfront Park area of the Snake River.
I had to call some friends this evening and tell them about that. They'd planned to go fishing there in the morning. The bass and perch are biting now. They aren't happy about it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is there any natural way to control them some? I know shellcrackers (red ear sunfish) are touted as somewhat effective, but i suspect we’re too cold for them to reproduce naturally, and last time I asked the state wouldn’t let me have them.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
It was just a matter of time, but still not a good thing.

Quagga mussels found under the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls. This is going to cost beaucoup bucks for farmers trying to keep irrigation water flowing, sprinklers running and pivots turning. Ditto for the fish farmers all around that stretch. The State is pretending they are going to do something about it, but that cat is out of the bag, fellas.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/...quagga-mussel-larvae-in-the-snake-river/

TWIN FALLS — The Idaho State Department of Agriculture confirmed Monday the presence of quagga mussel larvae in the Centennial Waterfront Park area of the Snake River. Multiple samples of quagga mussel at larval life stages have been found in the Twin Falls area by ISDA’s early detection monitoring program.

The findings mark the first time a rapid response plan has been put into action for quagga mussels in Idaho. ISDA is implementing a rapid response plan that includes notifying impacted entities, implementing containment measures, conducting delimiting surveys and evaluating for potential treatment options.

“These invasive pests will clog pipes that deliver water for drinking, energy, agriculture, and recreation,” Governor Little said. “This is a very high priority for Idaho and for me, given the gravity of the risk. If we are not successful, an unchecked spread – which we are doing all we can to stop – has the potential to cost Idaho hundreds of millions of actual and indirect costs. Thankfully, we caught the mussels early on and have already started a robust response to get these mussels OUT of our waters. We need everyone to support these efforts.”

ISDA is asking for the public’s cooperation in staying out of the water in the Centennial Waterfront Park area, in an effort to contain the mussel populations. ISDA staff and boats will be in the water performing delimiting surveys to determine the physical range of the impacted area. Boat ramps and public access to the water are closed temporarily.

They are not mentioning that they are praying they really did catch it early on.

I'm not much of a betting man, but having dealt with them in the Colorado River, I've got a $20 says the mussels are already way more established than they believe.

And, if they found the larvae in the river at Centennial Park, I'm pretty sure they're aways downstream now and might have already settled and attached.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is there any natural way to control them some? I know shellcrackers (red ear sunfish) are touted as somewhat effective, but i suspect we’re too cold for them to reproduce naturally, and last time I asked the state wouldn’t let me have them.
Interesting thing there Dutch. When I was raising the razorback suckers the mussels were found in head and tailboxes but not in the rearing areas. Not sure what kind of native suckers in the Snake up that way, but they may help some. Problem is, the mussels are fantastically productive.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Totally fed up with invasive species. We have over 3,800 types here in Floriduh and yet we keep accepting delivery of more. Totally wrecked this state.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Totally fed up with invasive species. We have over 3,800 types here in Floriduh and yet we keep accepting delivery of more. Totally wrecked this state.

3,800? And still no chukar, huns or pheasants to speak of!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Interesting thing there Dutch. When I was raising the razorback suckers the mussels were found in head and tailboxes but not in the rearing areas. Not sure what kind of native suckers in the Snake up that way, but they may help some. Problem is, the mussels are fantastically productive.

Do we have suckers! Five native species in the state. Chubs, too. I know the Bear Lake Chub of our area will eat some crustaceans. Maybe there was a reason for them after all!

I guess we’ll find out in short order if the suckers and chubs keep the mussels down to a dull roar.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have lots of out of staters running boats in Idaho. Most likely they came in stuck to a boat. There are inspection stations here and there to look for them but not on all highways and they certainly can't check every boat that crosses the state line. It's more of an honor system that's pretty much ignored.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
This is all the same thing that was said about zebra mussels when they first showed up in the St Lawrence River. Everybody hit the panic button. Same with gobies. As it turned out, the ecosystem and the native species adapted to the newcomers and life went on.

Initially, you saw huge beds of zebra mussels, now, not so much. They tell me the perch eat them, I don’t know, but the perch fishing seems to have improved from what I hear. Also, water clarity is way up, mitigates the effects of fertilizer runoff, light gets deeper, more bottom of the food chain in deeper water, better for the deep water species. Walleye fishing is better than ever.

Time will tell. Nothing ever remains the same.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have lots of out of staters running boats in Idaho. Most likely they came in stuck to a boat. There are inspection stations here and there to look for them but not on all highways and they certainly can't check every boat that crosses the state line. It's more of an honor system that's pretty much ignored.

I'm pretty diligent about stopping at watercraft check points. Got stopped one time after passing a checkpoint in Idaho. Was coming off the Snake or the Owyhee. Can't recall. Missed the check point and stopped at a gas station next door. State guy pulled up and told us we missed it. Went back and got everything looked over. All good.

Have been to a few that weren't manned. Pull up and nobody's there. <shrug>

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by cra1948
This is all the same thing that was said about zebra mussels when they first showed up in the St Lawrence River. Everybody hit the panic button. Same with gobies. As it turned out, the ecosystem and the native species adapted to the newcomers and life went on.

Initially, you saw huge beds of zebra mussels, now, not so much. They tell me the perch eat them, I don’t know, but the perch fishing seems to have improved from what I hear. Also, water clarity is way up, mitigates the effects of fertilizer runoff, light gets deeper, more bottom of the food chain in deeper water, better for the deep water species. Walleye fishing is better than ever.

Thats cool.

Zebras and Quaggas are probably signs that things are WAY out of whack....not the other way around.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

3,800? And still no chukar, huns or pheasants to speak of!

I have shot chukar in N Florida and S Georgia. One of my new neighbors is a Hun, but I’ve given no thought to shooting her. Lot of peasants in S Floriduh as I recall.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was just a matter of time not if, sadly Asian carp are in the future

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quagga mussel

The quagga mussel (Dreissena rostriformis, also known as Dreissena bugensis or Dreissena rostriformis bugensis) is a species (or subspecies) of freshwater mussel, an aquatic bivalve mollusk in the family Dreissenidae. It has an average lifespan of 3 to 5 years.[3]

The species is indigenous to the Dnipro River drainage of Ukraine, and is named after the quagga, an extinct subspecies of African zebra, possibly because, like the quagga, its stripes fade out towards the ventral side.

The invasive quagga mussel is currently of major concern as it spreads in the rivers and lakes of Europe and also in the Great Lakes of North America where it was brought to by overseas shippers that use the Saint Lawrence Seaway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quagga_mussel

Ukraine is a bigger PITA than we knew, eh?

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948

No argument with any of that, but there remains the fact that for those of us that use water in pipes and such, quaggas are an infestation best avoided.

Given the huge to-do about the phosphorous (and nitrogen) level in the Mid-Snake, an additional bivalve to consume plankton would be likely move the river to a more natural, lower nutrient level condition. Unlike the Great Lakes, this is a river, so the supply of nutrients never stops, which means it’s unlikely that equilibrium conditions of historical low nutrient levels would be reached.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
At least they will filter the water.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (22kHornet, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 47 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,334
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.