-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Springfield Prodigy......................anyone have one? Comments from anyone that actually has one?

MM

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honest Outlaw on Youtube has mentioned it a few times and has a few dedicated reviews. I believe he featured it in one of his "least reliable pistols" videos.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been fooling around with one lately, 4.25 version.

Typical SA CQ issues. Fix/tune extractor first, OEM extractor had zero tension.
Replaced trigger with short adjustable Atlas unit, nothing really wrong with the SA, I need shorter trigger on the fat grip gun.
Fixed trigger pull with OEM internals. If I keep it around I'll fit EGW parts later.
Ditched the light firing pin for a EGW steel pin, fit is much better. Didn't have light strikes with the original pin I just don't like the light pins.
Slide to frame is good, not great but very good.

I read that some of the first guns had tight throats and chambers, mine will eat any 9mm bullet profile I have including .357 147gr coated RN at 1.155.

No issues with SA mags.

Had some trouble with one of the optic plates. Had to shorten the factory screw on the rt side of the gun, it actually touched the extractor. Then I had to use some orange permatex thread locker to keep it tight. Just got the plate for RMR footprint, the screws that came with that one were fine. I have a Holosun 507 comp on it now. Only one range trip with that sight but it worked great. Plate still tight at 300 rds.

I think the later production guns are better than the first ones.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You’re obviously skilled. But that’s a fair amount of parts, imo, to replace just to shore up a pistol.

The STI Staccato P, while more initial cash out of pocket. To me, it’s the better choice.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by blindshooter

Replaced trigger with short adjustable Atlas unit, nothing really wrong with the SA, I need shorter trigger on the fat grip gun.
Fixed trigger pull with OEM internals. If I keep it around I'll fit EGW parts later.
Ditched the light firing pin for a EGW steel pin, fit is much better. Didn't have light strikes with the original pin I just don't like the light pins.

I read that some of the first guns had tight throats and chambers, mine will eat any 9mm bullet profile I have including .357 147gr coated RN at 1.155.

No issues with SA mags.

Had some trouble with one of the optic plates. Had to shorten the factory screw on the rt side of the gun, it actually touched the extractor. Then I had to use some orange permatex thread locker to keep it tight. Just got the plate for RMR footprint, the screws that came with that one were fine. I have a Holosun 507 comp on it now. Only one range trip with that sight but it worked great. Plate still tight at 300 rds.

They must be contracting those out to Ruger for production.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10
You’re obviously skilled. But that’s a fair amount of parts, imo, to replace just to shore up a pistol.

The STI Staccato P, while more initial cash out of pocket. To me, it’s the better choice.

🦫

You're right, for a lot of folks its probably better to drop a little more and get a more refined pistol.

I like to tinker on 1911's, I can sometimes find good deals on them because some would rather trade or sell at whatever they can get instead of shipping them back or paying a smith.

The 1911/2011 platform isn't for everybody.

I carry Tupperware guns nowadays...

Last edited by blindshooter; 09/25/23.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blindshooter

No issues with SA mags.

Thanks for the info; I'm used to working on 1911's so non of that bothers me.

As for the Staccato, it's a nice piece, also a LOT more than a Prodigy.

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.