Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by deflave
Good movie, Val in his prime.

How old do you pretend to be?

Whaat ?, I don't pretend anything.

Val is sick with throat cancer, looks terrible but still kicking...it's an old movie.

Old movie? LMAO.
1996 ?, yeah that's an old movie....you know what year it is ? lol

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Patterson was Irish with a Protestant father and a Catholic mother. However he commanded the Jewish Mule Skinner Brigade during the Gallipoli campaign in World War I. This was the first Jewish armed force to take the field since the revolt against the Romans in AD 70. When the Haganah paramilitary defense organization stood up in 1920 many of the leaders had served under Patterson as non-commissioned officers. They had great respect for Colonel Patterson and modeled their leadership behaviors after his example. For this reason he is sometimes considered the spiritual father of the Israeli Army.

In the movie Patterson is described as a Colonel, but at the time of the incident at Tsavo I believe his only military experience had been as a Subaltern serving in India. After Tsavo he rejoined the army for service in the Boer War where he advanced rapidly.

He later moved to California where he died in 1947.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since I can’t post a freakin video, I’ll just post the link.
The Ghost & The darkness
Lotta Hollywood in the movie, but I like it just the same.
But if you haven’t read Patterson’s book, really, what are you doing on the ‘Campfire?grin
Hell, I thought his book and a little knowledge of Capstick were requirements for joining!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Scotty
Also the male lions around Tsavo do not grow mains or not much. So the heads look more like females. Anyway that is what I read. Any comments from those that saw them?

I enjoyed both the book and the movie.
I thought manes had to do with age, but don't know much about lions that's for sure lol

Bwana,

How old are you?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One hundred thirty five is probably a little conservative. That’s what was estimated by the accounts. At that time, Africa’s bookkeeping left a lot to be desired! The true toll will never be known, but I feel confident that it was north of 200.
And as the video says, the slave route through Tsavo more or less taught the lions that man was pretty much a free meal!
But if you haven’t read Patterson’s book, you owe it to yourself. Very good, and it’s actually fun reading if you’re a reader!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
John Henry Patterson had balls that clank. He was a Jew which will cause much hatred for him here. He was a member of the Royal Fusiliers which later became the Israeli Defense Force. The African actor who played Samuel, John Kani played In another great movie from 1978. He played Sgt. Jesse Link in “The Wild Geese”, about a group of old mercenaries. Richard Burton and Richard Harris were in it.

Ron

You sure about all that? in re Patterson being a Heb. I mean it sounds cool, and all, but I'd check my sources before I made that assertion.

I stand corrected BGG! He was a protestant who supported the forming of the Jewish state of Israel which was formed a year after his death. He commanded the Zion Mule Corps also. He was buried in Israel. My apologies for the bad info.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you think there were multiple screwups in the movie just read the book! It’s a wonder Patterson wasn’t taken out on several occasions

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Very good film, but hardly an old one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also the male lions around Tsavo do not grow mains or not much. So the heads look more like females. Anyway that is what I read. Any comments from those that saw them?

I thought manes had to do with age, but don't know much about lions that's for sure lol

Bwana,

How old are you?
I answered you already.

Edit: And my oldest child is 14.

Last edited by Bwana_1; 09/22/23.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Since I can’t post a freakin video, I’ll just post the link.
The Ghost & The darkness
Lotta Hollywood in the movie, but I like it just the same.
But if you haven’t read Patterson’s book, really, what are you doing on the ‘Campfire?grin
Hell, I thought his book and a little knowledge of Capstick were requirements for joining!
Reon

If you think that reading books is a prerequisite for CF members you are the definition of an optimistgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I went to the Field museum quite a few times while attending Northwestern University. A short train ride into town. The lions look kinda ratty but it was cool to see the subjects of Patterson's book. The movie was entertaining but did take a lot of literary license.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was irritated by Douglas’ character (Remington?) as I was already familiar with the actual event. He was totally unnecessary and detracted from the story line. The prominent role played by Om Puri (??) as the Indian work crew boss seemed sorta fake and politically correct also. But then I was not long back from Africa and was something of an Afro-snob at the time 🙂 I was familiar with British snobbery at that time also.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen the movie, read the book and seen the lions in Chicago. I enjoyed all 3 but it is clear those lions are old and the taxidermy is marginal at best. But, they are history.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Emily Mortimer. For the men who like women. Would have liked more of her and less of the ragman's grandson.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Man Eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett. Not a movie, but an excellent book.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I have seen the movie, read the book and seen the lions in Chicago. I enjoyed all 3 but it is clear those lions are old and the taxidermy is marginal at best. But, they are history.

I feel the taxidermy is fantastic considering it was done 100 years ago on skins of animals that had been dead for many years.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Bwana,

How old are you?
I answered you already.

Edit: And my oldest child is 14.

No.

You didn’t.

Stop lying.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Slope77
Originally Posted by Slope77
I actually saw those lions in the Field Museum in Chicago last weekend.

The movie took quite a bit of artistic license versus the true story. As someone else said, Douglas’s character was completely made up. Good movie to scare kids with, though. 😉

How was Chicago?

Pretty good, actually. It was a a work trip, I wasn’t very excited to go, but I figured what the heck, I’ll probably never be there again. So I went a couple days early, did some tourist stuff on the weekend. It was pretty fun, I enjoyed it

I never felt unsafe, but never really left the four mile stretch of downtown, either.

Good to hear. I have wondered.

Thanks.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
A cool little piece of history. I haven’t read the book or watched the movie. I’ve watched some good documentaries on YouTube.

Pictures that I’ve seen of the lion mounts in Chicago look less than stellar. They were a mangy looking pair of cats.

Mounts that age are bound to look like schit but it is very cool that those are the actual lions.

Seeing those mounts are literally the only reason I would ever step foot in that shîthole. Even with that allure, don't think it'll ever happen.

There’s a surprise.

LOL

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
A cool little piece of history. I haven’t read the book or watched the movie. I’ve watched some good documentaries on YouTube.

Pictures that I’ve seen of the lion mounts in Chicago look less than stellar. They were a mangy looking pair of cats.

Mounts that age are bound to look like schit but it is very cool that those are the actual lions.

Seeing those mounts are literally the only reason I would ever step foot in that shîthole. Even with that allure, don't think it'll ever happen.

There’s a surprise.

LOL

My attitude was the same as yours, Gruff, but I enjoyed it, had a good time. There is a river that runs through downtown, took a boat ride through the skyscrapers, went to a couple museums and the aquarium, top of Sears (Willis) Tower and the John Hancock building. View from the Hancock building after sunset was pretty cool. Not Montana mountains cool, but impressive.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, AscensionIndustries, 9 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 706 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,227
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.