Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have a Mauser 98 been rebarreled to .257 Robert's Improved, Timney trigger, Timney safety, Athlon 4X12 Bell and Carlson stock.50rds loaded fireformed ammo 200 rds .257 Robert's unfired Brass. .257 Robert's dies and .257 Robert's Improved dies. Looking for its value

https://postimg.cc/gallery/KTW660j

https://postimg.cc/gallery/pPcpsxX

https://postimg.cc/gallery/SsSc7fk

https://postimg.cc/gallery/xMXXPf8

https://postimg.cc/y34KbzPd

Thank you

GB1

R
R
Rifle - $450. Scope - $100. Reloading - $100.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rio_grande
Rifle - $450. Scope - $100. Reloading - $100.
Pretty close, IMO.

Which Mauser action?

DF

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you. It's stamped 98 but I don't know much about Mausers Dirtfarmer

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Some folks here have a much clearer crystal ball than me! I wouldn't begin to value from such vague description. Just a "Mauser 98" action can vary in quality of manufacture from really great to disaster. Some of the Chinese Arsenal products, for instance, as disasters. Then add the matter of condition! Add mix & match potential and of course aesthetics! I could conjure rifles not worth minimal costs in shipping! Dang!

Beyond a whole basketful of unknowns, I suppose a "floor value" may be the sum of its accoutrements! Such as possible based on the scope/accessories/reloading stuff. (Of which I know nothing!)

An incredulous... Best!
John

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the pictures, it looks to be a WW2 era German action. Still a lot of variability depending on year of production.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you very much all. I never much got into Mausers but this one is accurate and knocks deer dead. Two shots two deer. Scope is brand new installed a week ago hasn't been sighted in. The Simmons that was on it the windage adjuster fell off. I bought someone else's project and got it finished by a gunsmith and heavier than I want to carry hunting so was trying to decide if I wanted to sell it. The brass all but 50 is new unfired Winchester in the box. So reloading stuff I can price out since I'm an FFL. But no one here could tell me what it's worth should I decide to sell it. Thank you all very very much for taking the time to help guide me. There are no markings or serial numbers on the action but Mau 98. The gunsmith that did my finish up work loved working with Mausers and told me it should be a shooter and it is. He passed away a month ago or I would be taking him coffee. Thank you again you are all great

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So many out there for $450. Looks nice a a good deer rifle. The unfired brass has value. Good luck with it.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 09/23/23.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
From what I can see it looks like a pretty decent hunting rifle. It might be hard to move unless someone comes along that's a handloader and wants that cartridge. Probably not that many hunters around that do.

Don't know if it would be worth the trouble but if you decide to keep it you could take a little weight off by going to a lighter scope mounting set up and a smaller scope.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 09/27/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
does it have any Nazi markings on this rifle my 257 Roberts German mauser does ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Some of those old guns don’t have serial number on the action. My 1640 HVA has it on the barrel.

Other than a person to person sale, with may not be technically Kosher, how could one fill out an FFL form for a transfer without a number.

On my HVA, I’m told that if swapping barrels, smith could stamp barrel number on the action.

Doesn’t sound like that could be done in this case.

Ideas?

DF

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SN's were not required until the GCA of 1968. If a firearm has a SN, you cannot remove it. If it never had one, you are good. If it was removed, not so good.

All Mausers had the receiver marked with a SN even those made prior to 1968.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by z1r
SN's were not required until the GCA of 1968. If a firearm has a SN, you cannot remove it. If it never had one, you are good. If it was removed, not so good.

Husqvarna rifles built on large-ring FN 98 actions are marked on the barrel. The actions have no serial number.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
How do you handle the BATF form with no serial number?

DF

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by z1r

Husqvarna rifles built on large-ring FN 98 actions are marked on the barrel. The actions have no serial number.

Okie John

Correct, and?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
How do you handle the BATF form with no serial number?

DF

leave it blank.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"On my HVA, I’m told that if swapping barrels, smith could stamp barrel number on the action."
I have a number of various Mausers, both military actions and commercial actions.

ONe is a Husqvarna 640. Serial number is on the barrel and none on the action. When I asked my gunsmith if he could stamp the number on the action, he said no, it would be a federal offense. I also have a custom 7x57 on a commercial FN Mauser that unlike all the rest of my commercial FNs has no serial number. As the rifle was originally a JC Higgins M50 I find that strange. However, t was one of the very early M50s where the dovetail for the rear sight was cut directly over the breech portion of the barrel might be why no number. My gunsmith thought it might have been an over run originally meant to go to Husqvarna. Who knows?
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Seems to me... Pre 1968 Gun Control Statute, gun serialization was pretty much a free-for-all! Post '68 the alternate universe arrived. Before '68 Non serialization, SN alterations or obliteration performed as lawful THEN cannot be punished now retroactively. Constitutional precept of "Ex Post Facto" But "possession of such weapons "post '68" deemed "ongoing offenses" may be illegal & punished.

Serialization mandated on receiver/frame as THE only valid locale, would seem that barrel located cannot be construed by '68 law as "valid". 'IF' not valid, whatever to happen to it, 'de nada'; the gun deemed never to have possessed a valid serial number. The question of whether such serial numbers are "grandfathered in as recognized officially" in the post '68 scheme... I don't know that answer but suggest likely not. The fact that such are commonly construed as valid no matter how commonly universal, doesn't make them legal SNs. FFL holders may have some guidance available. Then the matter of State Laws which may have their own entirely legal as Sovereign spin.

BIG CAUTION OF TAKING MY WORDS HERE AS LEGAL ADVICE = WHICH IT ISN'T AND ISN'T INTENDED AS ANY MORE THAN OFFERING QUESTIONS. ALSO, THE GREAT HAZARD OF TAKING OTHER FORUM MEMBERS OPINIONS/ADVICE AS "THE LAW".

Just my questioning take!
Best!
John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by farepair
Thank you very much all. I never much got into Mausers but this one is accurate and knocks deer dead. Two shots two deer. Scope is brand new installed a week ago hasn't been sighted in. The Simmons that was on it the windage adjuster fell off. I bought someone else's project and got it finished by a gunsmith and heavier than I want to carry hunting so was trying to decide if I wanted to sell it. The brass all but 50 is new unfired Winchester in the box. So reloading stuff I can price out since I'm an FFL. But no one here could tell me what it's worth should I decide to sell it. Thank you all very very much for taking the time to help guide me. There are no markings or serial numbers on the action but Mau 98. The gunsmith that did my finish up work loved working with Mausers and told me it should be a shooter and it is. He passed away a month ago or I would be taking him coffee. Thank you again you are all great

Mauser in pic has Nazi Marking and a number, 6265.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by z1r

Okie John

I have one with a serial number on the receiver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1100mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 18,970 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,980
Posts18,540,046
Members74,053
Most Online21,066

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.