Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I switched to Barnes TTSX when a 7mm 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip exploded on a nice Bull’s ribs producing a palm sized entry killed the elk with shrapnel in the lungs after 500+yards run through the snow. They have been effective on several elk since with exit holes. These day I’m shooting 180’s out of a 300 Weatherby and results are even better.

But for deer they are not nearly as impressive as my old soft NBT’s that dropped them like a hammer instantly dead. I’m prepared for worst case shot angles with the monos but understand double lung shots aren’t as spectacular or instant sometimes I’ve dispatched more deer with a knife or 2nd shot than the soft expansive bullets. They don’t tend to die as quickly but it’s not a consistent thing.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
155 Scenar’s &/or Accubond’s keep my freezer full, mostly Scenar’s.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I shot my last cow right at 100yds, 300WM with the Barnes 175 LRX, started 3080 or so. To see for myself how "soft" the nose was I shot her broadside, tight behind the shoulder. she was up on the mountain, so entrance was low right and exited high left side. she made a death run 30yds downhill. Good 1 1/2" entrance/exit holes, massive damage inside. I could have killed her easily with my 30-30 Ackley, ha but it proved to me the LRX is the "berries". I have never killed anything yet with the Hammers, but assume they would kill the same, what with the claws tearing off. Can anyone add their Hammer story?

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/07/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A Barnes 168 ttsx works as a elk bullet. 638yds and the bullet was stuck in the off side hide after smashing a rib. I'm interested in weighing what's left of the bullet, because there's no mushroom or petals.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by TrueGrit; 12/07/23.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have killed elk every way possible, except chasing one down and screwing it to death. Luckily I have a cow tag this year.

Nothing matters more than a well placed hit.
There is not a big game bullet on the market that will not do the job in the hands of a hurter with skill and understanding of the task.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TRUE DAT !!!

Rio7

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Right, I have shot elk with bullets from 140 gr through 260 gr. I gave serious thought to where I place a BTBT but placed correctly they kill like a bomb. I have also use lots of partitions and Accubonds. The last is my favorite. Barnes was not recommeded by my barrel maker, but those barrels are now 25 years old. Things change.

Last edited by WyoCoyoteHunter; 12/07/23.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I shot my last cow right at 100yds, 300WM with the Barnes 175 LRX, started 3080 or so. To see for myself how "soft" the nose was I shot her broadside, tight behind the shoulder. she was up on the mountain, so entrance was low right and exited high left side. she made a death run 30yds downhill. Good 1 1/2" entrance/exit holes, massive damage inside. I could have killed her easily with my 30-30 Ackley, ha but it proved to me the LRX is the "berries". I have never killed anything yet with the Hammers, but assume they would kill the same, what with the claws tearing off. Can anyone add their Hammer story?

That sounds like good results!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
A Barnes 168 ttsx works as a elk bullet. 638yds and the bullet was stuck in the off side hide after smashing a rib. I'm interested in weighing what's left of the bullet, because there's no mushroom or petals.

What was the approximate impact velocity?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Impact velocity was somewhere close to 2050fps. The recovered 168gr ttsx bullet weighed 157gr. The bullet worked alright, but it wasn't a classic mushroom or the petals folded back that I expected to see.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They say 1600, but man I wouldn’t wanna push it there myself.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's disappointing. I hoped they would expand better at that velocity.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teeder

I was thinking the same. But man, you cannot whoop their track record. One of, if not the most talked about and used Barnes I hear of.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Teeder

I was thinking the same. But man, you cannot whoop their track record. One of, if not the most talked about and used Barnes I hear of.

Here's a post from a thread about a year ago on this very bullet:

Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Since Barnes makes both a 165 grain and a 168 grain version of their .308 TTSX I was curious what is the difference in them. I sent an email to Barnes with my question and here's the reply I got.
I'm sure plenty of guys on here have used the 168 TTSX in their magnums though.

Hi John,

Great question! The 165gr versions incorporate a short nose profile, often referred to as the ogive, to accommodate cartridges that require a short COAL (Cartridge Over All Length) requirement, such as the 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM. The 168gr TTSX has a longer ogive than the 165gr TTSX and it provides a more efficient, more streamlined design that allows it to retain its velocity and energy better. We test each bullet and assign it a value that rates each bullets ability to overcome air.This is referred to as the BC or Ballistic Coefficient. The higher the BC value the more efficient it is. So you’ll see a slight downrange advantage to the 168gr versions with their higher BC’s when they are incorporated in cartridges such as the 30-06, 308 Winchester or 300 RUM that can accommodate the a longer finished cartridge length and magazine requirements.

The 165gr TTSX requires a minimum impact velocity of 1800fps for bullet expansion and the 168gr TTSX only requires 1500fps.

Thanks, Ty

Ty Herring | Consumer Service

Barnes Bullets disclaims all possible liability for damages including actual, incidental and consequential, resulting from usage of the information or advice contained in this message.
Use the data and advice at your own risk, and with extreme caution.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Always begin loading from the minimum "START” charge and carefully develop loads by increasing in small increments of 2% towards the Maximum load.

Barnes Bullets, LLC
38 North Frontage Road, PO Box 620, Mona, UT 84645
Phone 800-574-9200 | Fax 435-856-1040

From the looks of TrueGrit's bullet, it certainly doesn't seem in keeping with what Barnes says.

Regardless, if you want animals to consistently drop quickly, or you shoot animals at long range, I think there are much better bullets than a Barnes. OTOH, if lead in your meat is a concern (a valid one IMO), or you live in California, then Barnes is your huckleberry.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
About a month ago I shot a 5x5 bull at 30 yards using a 168 grain TTSX out of a .30-06 at about 2900 fps. It was a high shoulder shot and the bull dropped at the shot and slid back down the steep hill about 10 yards. I found the bullet under the hide on the far side with all the petals gone. The bullet passed though quite a bit of bone so that's probably why the petals were lost.

The TTSX worked great at close range. If I expected to shoot at 400-500 yards I would probably choose another bullet that expands a bit more easily.

Last edited by bowmanh; 12/09/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Probably most here have killed more elk that I have but I prefer hunting for cows. Bette eating meat IMO. First one was with a .300 Win. mag, 200 gr. Speer Hot Core. Bullet was a complete pass through. With the exception of one, the next five were with the .35 Whelen and 225 gr. TSX. To say results were impressive would be classic understatement. Three were DRT. the other two required a finishing shot but those elk well literally totally paralyzed. Try as they might, neither could get back on their feet. The odd elk out was shot with a 30-06 and the 165 gr. Nosler Accubond The scope on my .35 had turned toes up when checking the sighting so the 30-06 back up became the primary. Shot that cow at just about 100 yards and she ran maybe 30 or so feet and collapsed. She was on of the two that required a finisher. I looked but never recovered any of the bullets from those elk.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you're going to choose a bullet that maximizes a cartridge's potential wounding capability (ie a eldm, tmk, etc) you can achieve great terminal performance from just about any short action cartridge.

Why choose a magnum and then use a bullet that doesn't maximize terminal performance (bonded or solid bullets)? More recoil for less performance makes zero sense.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bowmanh
About a month ago I shot a 5x5 bull at 30 yards using a 168 grain TTSX out of a .30-06 at about 2900 fps. It was a high shoulder shot and the bull dropped at the shot and slid back down the steep hill about 10 yards. I found the bullet under the hide on the far side with all the petals gone. The bullet passed though quite a bit of bone so that's probably why the petals were lost.

The TTSX worked great at close range. If I expected to shoot at 400-500 yards I would probably choose another bullet that expands a bit more easily.

I've been using 150g Partitions out of my 270 Win at close or just over 3000 fps for longer than I care to admit for just that reason. They expand reliably out to 600 yards, and up close (15 yards) they are devastating with the back half always penetrating deeply. For larger calibers (375 Weatherby, 500 Jeffery) I prefer A-Frames or TSX's because the shots tend to be closer and the game is sometimes dangerous.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hard to beat a Partition for deer, or elk. They always expand at long range, and cause hella damage at close range with the rear half still penetrating. For bears, i'm partial to A-Frames or in the case of my 500 Jeffery the 570g TSX.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot four cow elk with a 300 savage at over 300 yards. I was using 160 grain FTX bullets.

My model 99 would get “ sticky” past mid book on the reloading chart.

They were dispatched in a very timely manner and you KNEW you had a hit due to its loud “ thwack”!

I would imagine the velocity would be similar to a 3006 / 300 mag. 500 to 700 yards?

Question is would that type of bullet hold up point blank at the increased velocity of a larger cartridge.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/29/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1234, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,258
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.