Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Those problematic Ballistic Tips went away 30 years ago.

I'll say if no one else will bullshit. The ones nosler makes today are better BUT every gunshow I do these days you will find tables that have boxes of bullets for sale . The original NBT's with the explosive traits are still out there. They were packaged in a black box with a label that was red / green and white you buy that vintage your screwed. Accurate yes but explosive. If the OP used that vintage it explains his results..mb
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yeah, but they are so cheap when I find them and they usually always shoot good...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bsa, you shoot any meat with them? I said they were accurate in my post.you can have my share of them at any gun show I go to..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are a lot of Accubonds out there with bad plastic. I have 3 boxes of 200 grainers. Been waiting amongst 18 months for Nosler to replace them. Tips turned into powder in the box. When i asked around, i found this was not at all uncommon.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
There are a lot of Accubonds out there with bad plastic. I have 3 boxes of 200 grainers. Been waiting amongst 18 months for Nosler to replace them. Tips turned into powder in the box. When i asked around, i found this was not at all uncommon.

This. I have a bunch of 250 grainers in .338" that the tips disintegrated on. What's up with that?

We deal in lead, friend.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I'll say if no one else will bullshit. The ones nosler makes today are better BUT every gunshow I do these days you will find tables that have boxes of bullets for sale . The original NBT's with the explosive traits are still out there. They were packaged in a black box with a label that was red / green and white you buy that vintage your screwed. Accurate yes but explosive. If the OP used that vintage it explains his results..mb

You're stressing over New-Old-Stock? I suppose that could happen. I have a few vintage 125 gr .308's I am going to reserve for my Blackout.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Thats funny I used the original BT's for years on deer with good results.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a box of 200gr AB's that lost some tips way back when they were first released. Never have had a BT lose a tip.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have killed elk with the 180gr BT out of a 300 Ultra. If there is a tougher cup and core, non bonded 30 caliber bullet I am not aware with it. They are hell on elk and they typicly are less bitchy than the 180 accubond which is the same bullet with a blonde core.
Section a ballistic tip and an accubond, get back with me...
I stripped the action of the .300RUM that I built including removing the barrel and scope & mounts to add an external bolt release. Put it back together, took it to the range with me to verify the zero. I was shooting 300 yards that day, prone with my F-class rifle. When I was done with that I threw a bipod on my ultramag, dialed in my scope for 300 yards and put three rounds downrange. 200gr accubonds at 3200fps. The target dot is 1" diameter. A few elk have been taken with this rifle...

I've done so. They are identical.
Here is a pic comparing the two. Not mine BTW.
[Linked Image][url=http://https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/stubblejumper11/P7230005.jpg][/url]
Your link doesn't work...
I've got nothing against ballistic tips. I use them to debug a rifle that supposedly has accuracy issues to verify the potential of said firearm. Once the problems are found and resolved I'll move forward and find a load that works for the intended purpose. That's the fun in reloading, experiment and find the components that give you the results you're confident with. 👌
Your going to trust me then. I can say for certain that the 180gr BT and AB look identical when sectioned.
The 165 and 168gr BT/AB have an even thicker jacket than the 180gr variety.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/24/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BWalker,

I addressed this a few posts ago:

After the introduction of Ballistic Tips, hunters kept bugging Nosler to make a "tipped" Partition, and some also bugged them about making a "bonded" Partition. Instead Nosler decided to bond Ballistic Tips, and when they did tested the bonded version to see how it penetrated. In some of the bullets the bonding made a difference, and in others it didn't--so they dropped some of the Ballistic Tips in favor of the AccuBond model, usually larger-caliber bullets. The 260-grain .375 Ballistic Tips, for example, only existed for a year or so before being turned into AccuBonds.

So yes, if you section Ballistic Tips and AccuBonds of the same caliber and weight, they'll usually appear identical.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had a box of 200gr AB's that lost some tips way back when they were first released. Never have had a BT lose a tip.

I think a lot of us saw that when they first came out. I first tried the 200gr accubond in 2006, and it suffered from tips breaking off. Never saw that with the BT either. I have seen some BT's with chipped and bent tips though. If we are going to talk elk and bullet, my vote goes to the 200gr Partition. No guess work there.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bsa, you shoot any meat with them? I said they were accurate in my post.you can have my share of them at any gun show I go to..mb

No sir. I've shot plenty of 30 cal 165gr solid base bullets into deer though. Those always seemed to work well. I've seen the results of some of the very first BT's and it was not pretty. I always thought it was weird because people always said the BT was just a solid base with a plastic tip. Must have been more to them than that.. The bullets shown above in the pic were bought recently. $10.00 for one box and a buddy gave me the other. I would not put them in a deer. I've always been impressed by their accuracy though.. My old 300WBY loved the 180gr ballistic tips.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BSA,

I also addressed this in an earlier post on this thread:

"The reason the early Ballistic Tips 'over-expanded' was Nosler simply put plastic tips in their Solid Base soft-points--which were pretty tough bullets. In fact the first animal I killed with a Solid Base was a Montana whitetail buck, with the 100-grain 6mm started at 3000 fps from a .243 Winchester. The range was around 125 yards, and the buck was angling away. At the shot he went maybe 10-15 feet and fell dead. The bullet entered at the rear of the left ribs and ended up in the right shoulder, retaining 61.5% of its weight.

But Nosler didn't realize adding the plastic tip would would cause problems, due to the BIG hollow-point required for rear end of the tip. That was in the mid-to-late 1980s."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I think a lot of us saw that when they first came out. I first tried the 200gr accubond in 2006, and it suffered from tips breaking off. Never saw that with the BT either. I have seen some BT's with chipped and bent tips though. If we are going to talk elk and bullet, my vote goes to the 200gr Partition. No guess work there.

I still used them without the tips on several deer. Didn't seem to notice much differance.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
BWalker,

I addressed this a few posts ago:

After the introduction of Ballistic Tips, hunters kept bugging Nosler to make a "tipped" Partition, and some also bugged them about making a "bonded" Partition. Instead Nosler decided to bond Ballistic Tips, and when they did tested the bonded version to see how it penetrated. In some of the bullets the bonding made a difference, and in others it didn't--so they dropped some of the Ballistic Tips in favor of the AccuBond model, usually larger-caliber bullets. The 260-grain .375 Ballistic Tips, for example, only existed for a year or so before being turned into AccuBonds.

So yes, if you section Ballistic Tips and AccuBonds of the same caliber and weight, they'll usually appear identical.
I missed your comment, John.
In regards to a bonded partition. The swift A-frame is bonded and honestly I can't say it's a real improvement. I don't believe the penetrate as well as a partition. I also don't believe the cause as much carnage on the entrance side.
What Nosler really needs is a bonded, tipped partition in a VLD profile. They would have all the marketing bases covered!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am one of the people who had one unsatisfactory experience with a 100 grain BT in a .257 Roberts on an antelope. It stopped the animal but didn't kill it. After that I switched to Partitions (in hunting loads of all calibers). From then on I had no unsatis- factory results. Eventually I came to the opinion that I probably had a box of the early Ballistic Tips. Even so I never again used BT's.

Remember the old saying "happy wife, happy life." Now I say Partitions equal happy life.

Jim

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No sir. I've shot plenty of 30 cal 165gr solid base bullets into deer though. Those always seemed to work well. I've seen the results of some of the very first BT's and it was not pretty. I always thought it was weird because people always said the BT was just a solid base with a plastic tip. Must have been more to them than that.. The bullets shown above in the pic were bought recently. $10.00 for one box and a buddy gave me the other. I would not put them in a deer. I've always been impressed by their accuracy though.. My old 300WBY loved the 180gr ballistic tips.
Run them at 2300-2500 fps and the old 165/180 gr .30 cal bt worked great on WI white tail at mostly less than 100 yds. Not much meat damage and usually two holes. Dad still has a couple hundred 180s loaded to those specs from back in the late '80s for his 30-06. They are also rather enjoyable to shoot compared to full snort '06 ammo in any rifle so chambered.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In regards to a bonded partition. The swift A-frame is bonded and honestly I can't say it's a real improvement. I don't believe the penetrate as well as a partition. I also don't believe the cause as much carnage on the entrance side.
What Nosler really needs is a bonded, tipped partition in a VLD profile. They would have all the marketing bases covered!

A-Frames are great bullets, but yes, they don't usually penetrate as deeply as Partitions of the same weight and diameter. This is primarily due to their "mushroom" being much wider, and also sometimes due to the rear core also expanding somewhat.

Many hunters, even some with long experience, don't know that only the front core of A-Frames is bonded, but not the rear core. Since the jacket is pure copper, softer than the gilding-metal jacket of Partitions, A-Frames tend to expand more, both in the front and rear ends. This tends to make a bigger hole, which is what kills game--and also often results in the bullet not exiting. This is considered by many African PHs a good thing when hunting buffalo in herds, where a bullet that exits can wound another buffalo beyond it.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have killed elk with the 180gr BT out of a 300 Ultra. If there is a tougher cup and core, non bonded 30 caliber bullet I am not aware with it. They are hell on elk and they typicly are less bitchy than the 180 accubond which is the same bullet with a blonde core.
Section a ballistic tip and an accubond, get back with me...
I stripped the action of the .300RUM that I built including removing the barrel and scope & mounts to add an external bolt release. Put it back together, took it to the range with me to verify the zero. I was shooting 300 yards that day, prone with my F-class rifle. When I was done with that I threw a bipod on my ultramag, dialed in my scope for 300 yards and put three rounds downrange. 200gr accubonds at 3200fps. The target dot is 1" diameter. A few elk have been taken with this rifle...

I've done so. They are identical.
Here is a pic comparing the two. Not mine BTW.
[Linked Image][url=http://https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/stubblejumper11/P7230005.jpg][/url]
Your link doesn't work...
I've got nothing against ballistic tips. I use them to debug a rifle that supposedly has accuracy issues to verify the potential of said firearm. Once the problems are found and resolved I'll move forward and find a load that works for the intended purpose. That's the fun in reloading, experiment and find the components that give you the results you're confident with. 👌
Your going to trust me then. I can say for certain that the 180gr BT and AB look identical when sectioned.
The 165 and 168gr BT/AB have an even thicker jacket than the 180gr variety.

Had great results on a cow elk with the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2940 fps from my 30-06. It broke both scapula and damaged both lungs significantly. Quick kill. I think that the sturdy Ballistic Tip did well, aided probably by the lessened velocity out at 340 yards. Either way it worked great. That's been a great general purpose hunting load for me: bear, mule deer, pronghorn and cow elk have all expired quite quickly.

Ballistic Tips in general have worked really well for me, though yes, the early ones were pretty frangible.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s always interesting to see what conclusions can be made from samples of 1,2 or 3…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
It’s always interesting to see what conclusions can be made from samples of 1,2 or 3…
Describes my hunting partner and best friend of 40+ years.

He won't make it to 3 though.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,473
Posts18,529,410
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.