Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I’ve been looking at the 8X42 BX-2 Alpines that Midway has on sale for $180. Is there anything else in the same price range that you can recommend? I currently use a pair of 6X Leupold Yosemites that work perfectly, but just looking to add a spare set to keep in the truck. 8X is as high as I want or need.

Thank ye kindly!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the Yoesmites ( still do a bot) and until recently stuck with Porro prisms berceuse of cost effectiveness and great, brighter, views. The cost of dielectric coatings (big boost in low light) on Schmidt-Pechan roofs have come down so some of the other benefits of roofs are now more attractive to me.

I was surprised to see the Alpines using Abbe-Koening roof prisms. I like the the large focus wheel and they make the point about dielectric coatings moot.

For comparison you should at least check out the Nikon Prostaff P7 for the same price as the Leupolds on Amazon. They are dielectric SP types (less bulky) and weigh in at 8 ounces lighter than the Leupolds. That is substantial. Some sellers are including include a lens pen and bino harness with the Prostaffs.

If I was considering carrying them all day I would go with the lighter pair but might not care if leaving them in the truck. Either roofs are a better option than a porro for that.

Last edited by kenjs1; 09/23/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Look at KOWA.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

This thread is about the 6x but they make an identical one in 8x
cant be beat for $119

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a pair of Leupold 10x42 McKenzie I think last year for Christmas. It was a package deal the wife got at Costco. They have served em well so far this year.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nikon monarch 3 can be had for cheap.
I will Tell you there is no free Lunch with trying to get good glass. Buy once cry once

Last edited by Dre; 09/23/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Athlon Midas 8x42, on par with Vortex Viper HD for half the cost.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by kenjs1
For comparison you should at least check out the Nikon Prostaff P7 for the same price as the Leupolds on Amazon. They are dielectric SP types (less bulky) and weigh in at 8 ounces lighter than the Leupolds. That is substantial. Some sellers are including include a lens pen and bino harness with the Prostaffs.

I see that the Nikon Prostaff P7 also comes in 8x30mm, which is lighter yet. How does the Prostaff P7 compare to the Nikon Monarch M5?

Thanks!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was surprised to see the Alpines using Abbe-Koening roof prisms. I like the the large focus wheel and they make the point about dielectric coatings moot.

Interesting that the Alpines have Abbe-Koenig prisms yet are only 5.5"—shorter than anything Zeiss put out with the same prisms.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deere Man- I erased an over wordy paragraph trying to explain my thought processes of all aspects .... but it boils down to thinking the 8x30 Prostaff offer a LOT. An easily stashable pair of bin's with a VERY wide field of view which coincidentally negates a chunk of what I like about the Yosemites. The Monarchs you mention list a much narrower view and exceed your spending limit. Don't see enough plus to warrant. I have used 8x42 in roof and porro for some time and can say that modern dielectric 8x30-32 roofs give up very little (to me) to larger bulkier units in the situations I need them - and yes this surprised me much. To my thinking there is little downside to an 8x30 super easy to stash in a in a truck console pair of inexpensive 8x bins. Whether deciding to tote them instead of the Yosemite's ( which still have their place and merits) I think they fit your original, albeit expanded, description of what you were wanting.

Now it could be my eyes don't dilate like someone 20 years younger and that can be a factor. I just know that after years of sticking with porros newer roofs have advanced to where they won me over and I don't need large objectives to get enough brightness. What you can get today for $150- $200 is light years better than 2x or 3x as much not so long ago.

If size and weight isn't a consideration then the 8x42's may have no negatives. I just feel less and less that bigger do enough for me to be better. YMMV

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so much for me erasing an over wordy post - apologies

. Confucius
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Camera Land
Athlon Argos 10x42
$100 clearance price
Good for truck although you stated 8’s or all you need

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
so much for me erasing an over wordy post - apologies

No need to apologize, I appreciate the response.

The Nikon Prostaff P7 8x30mm does have a huge field of view.

I have owned a Nikon scope before, and some very old stadium style pocket binos. What is their warranty like?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is what I found

Nikon Binoculars, Rangefinding Binoculars and Fieldscopes
Nikon’s Lifetime Limited Warranty applies to the optical system components of Nikon Binoculars, Rangefi­nding Binoculars and Fieldscopes, which optical system components are warranted by Nikon to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product from the date of purchase by the original consumer purchaser from a Nikon Authorized Dealer.

Nikon’s Seven Year Limited Warranty applies to the non-optical system components of Nikon Binoculars, Rangefi­nding Binoculars and fieldscopes, which non-optical system components are warranted by Nikon to be free from defects in material and workmanship for seven years from the date of purchase by the original consumer purchaser from a Nikon Authorized Dealer.

Nikon’s One Year Limited Warranty applies to the electronic components, if any, of Nikon Binoculars, Rangefi­nding Binoculars and Fieldscopes, which electronic components, if any, are warranted by Nikon to be free from defects in material and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase by the original consumer purchaser from a Nikon Authorized Dealer.

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (22kHornet, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 222Sako, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,461
Posts18,508,218
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.