Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't know if this has been a topic here before but the WWII Museum in New Orleans is absolutely wonderful. As a retired History Educator, I found it to be an amazing place with displays I had never seen or heard of before. I highly suggest that anyone that has a chance to visit it takes the opportunity to go. We spent a whole day there and could have easily spent 2-3 working our way through.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone I know that’s been has said the same thing.

Its on my list.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been there too. Very impressive!

Medics bury their mistakes..
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’d rather spend a day there than a day walking around Bourbon street! The museum is very impressive. I wouldn’t mind seeing it again.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It is indeed a masterpiece. Possibly the finest concept in museums that I've been to.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It is really cool, Packard copy of the Merlin engine on display.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is an incredible experience. They change it up from time to time to, so it's worth going back even if you have already seen it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't been to that one as yet, but (in best Campfire tradition) allow me to suggest three others: the World War I museum in Kansas City, the Pacific War museum in Fredericksburg, TX and the Field Artillery museum on Ft. Sill at Lawton, OK. (The last is on base, leave your firearms in the hotel).

(Thread derailment over)

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I too was unimpressed with Bourbon Street I had hoped for some good Jazz but there wasn't any while we were there. Some decent bands but had better luck over at the French Market. Way too many street bums and beggars on Bourbon for my taste. Had a great city tour though and enjoyed touring some of the historical cemeteries.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The museum sounds great! New Orleans, not so much.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They had a Higgins boat (think that is the right name) in the entrance last time I was there. After seeing them in movies and on TV so many times, it was great to see one in person.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
WWII museum is awesome.
Check out the smaller Civil War museum while your there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes the Civil War Museum is just around the corner from the WWII Museum - it also was a good one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Great museum, be sure to visit both buildings.
The best way to spend a day in New Orleans

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We went to the Disney at war exhibit that was there on loan from Disney Corp. It was interesting that Walt did all his work for the US at cost - he said he would not make a profit from the war. It was the last week that it was there before being broken down to be returned to Disney. Walt would be shocked at the Disney Corp as it exist today!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The wife and I are considering a visit to New Orleans last few days of October. Would it be better to try and see the museum on a week day or is it not too crowded on Saturday/Sunday?

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We were there on a weekday, the second week of September and there was no crowd - easy to get around and see all we wanted too. All the folks had white hair if that gives you an idea of the crowd. I imagine weekends would be a bit more crowded but it is so large, the crowd is really thinned out. If interested, Mardi Gras World is where all the Mardi Gras floats get made with the huge props made there, great place to see the old props and new ones they are working on.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My wife and I enjoyed it a lot. It took us two days to really see and read everything. We stayed in a hotel just around the corner.
Part of the walkway is made of bricks with WWII vets’ names. I saw one for Lawrence “Yogi” Berra. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmStwer
We went to the Disney at war exhibit that was there on loan from Disney Corp. It was interesting that Walt did all his work for the US at cost - he said he would not make a profit from the war. It was the last week that it was there before being broken down to be returned to Disney. Walt would be shocked at the Disney Corp as it exist today!

Brother, you ain't kidding!

I've been to New Orleans but not to the war museums. If I ever get back, that will be my main reason to return.

Just as an aside, I wonder how the WW II museum treats the CBI (China, Burma, India) war?? I'm no scholar of war history but it seems that CBI war kinda gets short shrift when it comes to "war history." There have been millions of words written about the European theatre, the great generals there, Patton, Bradley, Montgomery, etc., but not much about Stillwell, Chenault, and others fighting there in the CBI war... and that was one very important area we allies had to control.

Just my observation.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 7mmStwer
I don't know if this has been a topic here before but the WWII Museum in New Orleans is absolutely wonderful. As a retired History Educator, I found it to be an amazing place with displays I had never seen or heard of before. I highly suggest that anyone that has a chance to visit it takes the opportunity to go. We spent a whole day there and could have easily spent 2-3 working our way through.

My wife and I have been there and love it! It was great to see a B-17 like the one my father piloted during the war.

One of my nephews owns part of the company that built most of the displays at that museum. He has the coolest job I’ve ever heard of!

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.