Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Chit happens....been there, done that.

Suppose just wakin' up to that first thing this mornin' took me by surprise as well.

Group hug........nah.....we're good.

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
You gotta love the long Montana hunting season.

cow #1 - .308 BLR at 40 yards in heavy timber, 180 core lokt, 150 yard extraction, early hunting in snow Sept 22

cow #2 - .30-06 Safari at 50 yards in sage and aspen, 180 core lokt, 4 mile extraction, late hunting in snow Dec 6

I'm a meat hunter and generally take the first fair shot that fits my tag, and my family and friends will be eating good this year. Plus we need the extra meat to help me and my buddy recover from packing out #2!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
1 Cow with a 300 saum and 165 partition.

1st shot off hand at 70 yards hard quartering away through right side ham and out left side rib cage. Didn't hit a single organ, but took out an artery (a lot of blood).

2nd shot standing at 30 yards through the neck.

A lot of hard hiking, but the weather couldn't have been better.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guess I need to set a few people straight. This is for those among us (SaddleSore) that seem to think I don't have the ability to sneek up close to elk, so apparently I'm left with haveing to "snipe them from long distances". I've been hunting all my life, started tagging behind my dad years before I was big enough to even carry a gun. I've been a devout elk hunter for almost 30 years, don't know how many I've killed in that time, in fact I probably average a couple a year. The last year I remember not shooting one was 20 years ago when the game warden showed up in my camp the night before opening day and informed me I'd better get my butt off the mountain because my wife had gone into labor two weeks early.

I've snuck into umpteen herds before - had them so close to me if I would of had a fork I could of stabbed them in the ass. I grew up hunting whitetail back East, moved to Colorado in 79'. I've had elk and deer jump up out of their beds so close to me it scared me as bad as it did them, and sometimes I knew they were there! So I can put the sneak up on any deer or elk alive IF I CHOOSE TO. I just don't choose to anymore, its too easy, there's no challenge to it anymore. I find alot bigger challenge in seeing how far I can reach out and touch one these days. To each his own I say. I've been practising long distance shooting for quite a few years now. I guess you could call me a professional rock killer being as thats my usual target of choice. I live in a part of the country that I can drive two miles from my house and shoot way farther than my Leica 1200 rangefinder will even read, so I get alot of practise, and because of that, I've gotten pretty damn good. I shot my bull this year at 872-879 yds. Four shots, 4 hits - first two were 4" apart, double lung shots, and he hadn't dropped yet so I tried to break him down by putting one in his shoulder. Put one smack in the middle of his shoulder, that didn't put him down either. He took 4-5 steps and turned and faced me, I put the last one in his chest facing me at 879yds. Thats when he piled up. I'm one of those guys that doesn't like chasing them so I've always shot til they hit the ground. I'd venture to say I have the ability to sneak as close as the most successful bow hunter out there - I just don't choose to anymore. BEEN THERE-DONE THAT!!!! I'm having more fun these days "snipeing" them as you say. I say to each his own, whatever turns your crank. "Snipeing" them is what turns mine these days.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Slymule, I don't figure I have any right to tell someone how far they can shoot an elk. As you are turned on by 1000 yd shots,I like to get up close and personal. To me,the hunting part of it goes out the window at maybe 200 yds or less. Anything past that is just killing. Person can do the same thing on paper to prove thier proficiency. But if it floats your boat, get after it.

BTW. My post previously as in reply to a mistaken way of reading somwething that was written and I have apologize to Magnumb for it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Saddlesore, I read your apology to Magnumb. But between your comment "Some of us here,still know how to hunt elk without sniping them from long distance", and Magnumb mentioning my name in his butt chewing he gave you - I figured your comment was meant for me, and apparently so did Magnumb also.

I've been on this forum a long time, never miss a night reading, but very seldom open my mouth and say anything. Probably should of kept it shut this time, but it got my hackles up being as I've spent most of my life successfully sneaking up on game. I just don't choose to do that anymore and wanted to let you know it wasn't because I don't have the ability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have a late season tag in CO. I'll probably be hunting a week or so from Jan 10 on. If I fill early I'll probably thrash the Big Thompson with some flys; if I fail to fill, I'll probably thrash even more, harder.

I'm hauling two rifles along. My old standbye Shilen 340 for primary and a Blaser R93 '06 will sit the bench waiting for a chance. A 210-TSX at 3200 in the first, and a 165-gr TSX at 2875 in the second are what will be up the pipes.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Funny thing, I have killed 13 bulls at less than 100 yds, many at 40-50. Now I kinda want to shoot one across a canyon- just a new challenge.

Sneaking up on them in the timber is fun, but it's not the best way to trophy hunt. My experience with the close ones is that they usually only give you a second or two to decide.

I don't think I have shot one under 40 myself. That's the new goal, under 40 or over 400! None of this middle of the road stuff.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thats what I'm talking about! I love hunting, but I love a challenge more. My goal is to shoot a deer/antelope/elk/bear, hell I don't care which one, but I want to tag one at 1000 yds. After that, who knows...I may go close again and try a spear, or maybe I'll just sharpen up my fork. ;^)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Seems that some are just jealous that they don't know how to get close to elk. ... Some of us here,still know how to hunt elk without sniping them fromm long distances�

Originally Posted by saddlesore
� To me,the hunting part of it goes out the window at maybe 200 yds or less. Anything past that is just killing. Person can do the same thing on paper to prove thier proficiency. But if it floats your boat, get after it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think it�s both arrogant and a mistake to think that just because someone chooses to shoot at longer ranges than you would that they don�t know how to get closer.

For myself, I�ve never put powder burns on a hide but I�ve been within spitting distance and not fired a number of times. To put meat in the freezer, not because I NEED it but because I LIKE it, I�ll generally take a good shot if it is offered. Then my buddy and I will pack it out on our backs and focus our remaining time going after his animal or filling our deer tags. If a shot is under 200 yards or over makes no difference to me as long as I think I can make a clean kill. This year�s shots happened to be about 25 yards and a lasered 126, last year it was 260. The longest I�ve ever taken was 350 and it was easily one of my most rewarding and difficult stalks.

Hope your nose isn�t so high in the air it gets out of joint.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As I said,if it floats your boat, get after it. Just ain't my cup of tea.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cow, 350 grain .50 caliber ML bullet, 75 yards.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cow, 300WM w/180 NP at 130 yds. 1st shot into the lungs stopped her on her feet, 2nd shot into the works put her down.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
No bow elk for us this year either saw a lot and several bulls right at 50 yards but too far this old stick flinger. Lost a few lbs does that count. grin!!

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I came up empty this time. My camp went 3 for 4 however. All bulls. Even though I didn't connect, it was a great time and thus a successful hunt.

3825 24336
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pard and I each got a cow. Mine, 150yds, 300Win, 200TSX. His, 125yds, 300Win, 200 Partition.

Two elk down at once is very satisfying! Also, it's a long rest of the day.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
6x6 Wyoming, Weatherby 30-378 at 350 yds, 1 round.

If one's goal is to derive a success rate, those that did not score need to chime in too.

1Minute
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Cow Elk Montana, Marlin 444 Lever Gun, 265gr somewhere around 65yds

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Mine- Cow, 202 yds. 7 Rem mag. 150 gr. Core-lokt psp. 1 shot
Wifes- Cow, 125 yds. 270 win. 150 gr. Core-lokt sp. 1 shot

Cow with a winchester 700-BDL in .308- a 200 pound calf makes for excelent eating

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,522
Posts18,509,699
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.