Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
While I’m an avid whitetail, elk and mule deer hunter, there is nothing else I enjoy more than hunting quail over my GSP’s!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I grew up in SD hunting pheasants. Really miss it. Would like to hunt birds more, but family duties keep me pretty well busy and the kids don’t really like to hunt. I still like to tinker at the loading bench so most of the shooting I do is rifle and deer and antelope hunting.

A few years ago I wanted to get back into bird hunting and so bought my second Chessie, thinking I’d take him on a combo pheasant and antelope hunt. He wouldn’t take to training the way my first Chessie did and I got to thinking maybe he was just too stupid to train. Now I think he’s smart enough to feign being stupid so he can laze about the house. At any rate, now it’s mostly deer and antelope hunting for me. That might change in a few years as I get old and the kids move out.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you guys for the great replies. We think alike and yeah, wish I had a hunting dog!

Originally Posted by deflave
Sharptail grouse are the most fun I've had hunting.

And coyotes.

Flave, sharptails are fun to hunt but I'll always be a cock man at heart.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve shot well more than my share of doves, Gambels, Cal Valley quail, and ringnecks. Shot huns and sharpies for years in MT during annual big game hunts.

Started training shorthairs at 15, Springers at 35, and still run Springers.

Love ‘em all, but if I had to choose one, I’d break up with ringnecks and settle down with quail. Redheads are aptly monikered. Love to hate those runnin’ little bstards.

Valley quail in the foothills are more civilized. Break up the covey, and the singles hold TIGHT.

So. Now I’d just have to decide on settling down with redheads or not. smile

Anybody who has ever had a Springer deliver a beautiful rooster to hand must think I am crazy, and I might be, pheasants being the beautiful trophies that they are.

But quail ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako76
While I’m an avid whitetail, elk and mule deer hunter, there is nothing else I enjoy more than hunting quail over my GSP’s!
Any type of fowl or game hunting is better when the dogs are involved.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thank you guys for the great replies. We think alike and yeah, wish I had a hunting dog!

And coyotes.

Yeah, I grew up on COCK. And I do love a good flush of COCK.

But I fell in love with those sharpies out there. They're just cool. And indigenous. Not some ching-chong immigrant.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do. Pretty much any upland bird gets my attention.

Waterfowl? Meh. I do it sometimes but way more than 9/10 times I am after birds it is for upland. Ptarmigan, pheasants, forest grouse, chukar, it doesn’t matter. I luv it.

Himalayan Snowcock a few types of dove and a couple quail species is about all I need before I have taken everything a guy can hunt in the US.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Waterfowl? Meh. I do it sometimes but way more than 9/10 times I am after birds it is for upland. Ptarmigan, pheasants, forest grouse, chukar, it doesn’t matter. I luv it.

Himalayan Snowcock a few types of dove and a couple quail species is about all I need before I have taken everything a guy can hunt in the US.
Knew once the cock talk started you would be along.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Where does one find a Himalayan Snowcock?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson

And coyotes.

Yeah, I grew up on COCK. And I do love a good flush of COCK.

But I fell in love with those sharpies out there. They're just cool. And indigenous. Not some ching-chong immigrant.

And dumber than a day old......thing.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bird hunting is easily my fave.

Cali quail, Huns, chukar, pheasant....Pretty much in that order. I really don’t care though, they are all a good time. Throw dove in as well.

Flushed my first covey of Bobwhites here in SC last Friday. Stoked to chase some southern quail and bunnies. Squirrel too.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

In the Nepalese section of your adult book store.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d give up all big game hunting if I knew I could have average bird hunting from here on out.

Like Dale said above, western Kansas is terrible now on pheasants. There was a time about 15 years ago that it was phenomenal though. 4 bird limit on public ground by 11am. Not anymore though.

Last 3 years have had tons of fun with a friend of a friend in SD though.

We used to have bobwhite quail too. Now they’re cause for stopping the truck and staring if you see one.

Ducks have taken their place, somewhat. I’d still rather watch a dog go on point as about anything when carrying a gun. If I didn’t have dogs I’d likely not go.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruffed grouse are a great game bird.

Sometimes they act dumber than a fugkin rock. Will stand there and take fire. Other times they flush wild 40+ yards out.

They may be my favorite eating bird.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

In the Nepalese section of your adult book store.

Pard...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I cut my teeth on waterfowl hunting. Progressed to upland birds. Started hunting big game in my late 40’s. Have hunted many states and on three continents. But, my 1st love is upland hunting with my dog/s. I will hunt big game for the freezer and upland for enjoyment. My lab, Belle, will turn 10 years old in March. I will be looking for another pup in the not so distant future. Of course, another lab. MTG

Last edited by MTGunner; 09/24/23.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
And dumber than a day old......thing.

Pard.

Do you know WTF you're talking about pard?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing about sharpies ... they seem to die REAL easy ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RickBin
One thing about sharpies ... they seem to die REAL easy ...

What doesn't?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Ruffed grouse are a great game bird.

Sometimes they act dumber than a fugkin rock. Will stand there and take fire. Other times they flush wild 40+ yards out.

They may be my favorite eating bird.

They might very well be dumb, I don't really know. But if they are dumb, they have fantastic instincts in heavy cover as you would know. They are masters at letting you take that 2'cnd or 3rd step to where you are past them at a bad angle and they have a tree between you and them that they can take off directly away from.

That and their ability to go from zero to 60 in .095 milliseconds. They are the most challenging game I've ever hunted when in the cover they typically are holed up in. Walk and walk up and down hills in heavy cover to get 2 to 3 flushes an hr when it's GOOD. Out of those flushes I was lucky to have a remote chance at 1 out of 4. Most I either never seen or just got a brief glimpse. The flush itself with them is half the success.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (160user, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.