Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
The phrase “it’s not fair” was invented so folks with expectations not rooted in reality could enter the conversation.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Greg, I do NOT envy the wealthy, I have no DESIRE to be wealthy, (I see the way they behave, they do love sex with minors to a marked degree, it seems).
Let me condense my opinion as to simplify it for you, in the '60's and 70's, working a trade level job...I got a large helping of the American Pie. Fast forward 40 years, a tradesman and now his wife are working full time and do not approach the standard of living I experienced. The slice of the American Pie is now reduced to the molecular level. So Greg, where did the money go? I don't know, I'm not an economist, but I'd guess through the purchase of politicians, the extremely wealthy shaped the tax code so .gov gets a much bigger bite of my check. I'd guess that items, regardless of country of origin, are much more expensive now. As a logger in the summer of 1967 I made enough to pay cash for 5 months work for a Ford Bronco...try that now. Again, I do NOT envy wealth, I just want a slice of that pie, for gainful work accomplished.

First, I never accused you of being envious.

Second, there are many trade level working folks making six figures.

Third, the standard of living has gotten much better over the time period you described.

Fourth, tax rates are lower today than in the 60’s and 70’s.

There is plenty of money to be made here for those who are willing to earn it. I find it funny that Americans sit on the couch and bitch about not being able to get ahead while immigrants come here every day and become wealthy in a short time.

Just because your family hasn’t managed to do it doesn’t mean it cannot be done.
You are dead wrong on taxes. Taxes overall, are higher now than ever before. We pay a tax in some form to the tune of 60-70% of what we earn. Fuel tax, phone tax, property tax, insurance taxes, sales tax ect ect ect

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Greg, I do NOT envy the wealthy, I have no DESIRE to be wealthy, (I see the way they behave, they do love sex with minors to a marked degree, it seems).
Let me condense my opinion as to simplify it for you, in the '60's and 70's, working a trade level job...I got a large helping of the American Pie. Fast forward 40 years, a tradesman and now his wife are working full time and do not approach the standard of living I experienced. The slice of the American Pie is now reduced to the molecular level. So Greg, where did the money go? I don't know, I'm not an economist, but I'd guess through the purchase of politicians, the extremely wealthy shaped the tax code so .gov gets a much bigger bite of my check. I'd guess that items, regardless of country of origin, are much more expensive now. As a logger in the summer of 1967 I made enough to pay cash for 5 months work for a Ford Bronco...try that now. Again, I do NOT envy wealth, I just want a slice of that pie, for gainful work accomplished.

Third, the standard of living has gotten much better over the time period you described.

There is plenty of money to be made here for those who are willing to earn it. I find it funny that Americans sit on the couch and bitch about not being able to get ahead while immigrants come here every day and become wealthy in a short time.

Just because your family hasn’t managed to do it doesn’t mean it cannot be done.
You are dead wrong on taxes. Taxes overall, are higher now than ever before. We pay a tax in some form to the tune of 60-70% of what we earn. Fuel tax, phone tax, property tax, insurance taxes, sales tax ect ect ect

I stand corrected, sir. I was only considering federal income taxes. Many thanks for pointing out my oversight. There are definitely more taxes now versus then, even thought the federal income tax rates are lower.

Last edited by gregintenn; 09/25/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is all well and good I guess...but who cares about the rich, really? I don't even know anybody who is rich by those standards.
Here is what I do know...the big players on Wall St (are they the rich? I guess so), by their piratical pursuit of more wealth have destroyed the American Dream/middle class. They offshored everything they could...what they couldn't off shore they imported illegal labor for over our deliberately porous borders (e-verify my ass). IMO the working middle class is what made America great...right up to the Vietnam war. It wasn't the moguls of industry or captains of finance, (the rich?) After that it was a rather steep slide as everything the rich wanted, they got by buying politicians left and right. Endless profitable wars in every corner of the globe, every single consumer thing in our daily lives imported, a tax code designed for the rich, all to accumulate wealth at the expense of the middle class. The rich are the Masai...we are the cows, and we are goddam near bled out.
flintlocke: Big business, the military-industrial complex and all their middle-men leeches on society caused all this when they used their money made off of labor's backs to pass the Taft-Hartley Act shortly after WW2. This cut the nuts out of labor unions and allowed for the slave labor competition from Asia and the Right to Work (for less) laws facilitated the competition of cheap illegal immigrant labor flooding the market. Labor unions would have kept illegal immigrants from working in this country or at least kept it down to the most menial tasks. Strong labor unions would have kept tariffs in place that would have kept out foreign steel, cars, drugs, you name it.

I have sad news. The predatory moneyed interests have not a bit of concern if we live or die and sure don't mind if we end up in hovels such as those in Haiti and India. And now the lower level middle-men leeches are being squeezed out by big money. The big national banks have taken over the small lending the community banks did, Walmart ran the local stores out and now they are in squeeze by internet retailers that send stuff from huge warehouses. The little insurance offices are losing to the internet sales. Agricultural production is increasingly being bought by fewer and fewer buyers.

Your grandchildren will be lucky to have a roof over their heads in any kind of house they can call their own.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
That is all well and good I guess...but who cares about the rich, really? I don't even know anybody who is rich by those standards.
Here is what I do know...the big players on Wall St (are they the rich? I guess so), by their piratical pursuit of more wealth have destroyed the American Dream/middle class. They offshored everything they could...what they couldn't off shore they imported illegal labor for over our deliberately porous borders (e-verify my ass). IMO the working middle class is what made America great...right up to the Vietnam war. It wasn't the moguls of industry or captains of finance, (the rich?) After that it was a rather steep slide as everything the rich wanted, they got by buying politicians left and right. Endless profitable wars in every corner of the globe, every single consumer thing in our daily lives imported, a tax code designed for the rich, all to accumulate wealth at the expense of the middle class. The rich are the Masai...we are the cows, and we are goddam near bled out.
flintlocke: Big business, the military-industrial complex and all their middle-men leeches on society caused all this when they used their money made off of labor's backs to pass the Taft-Hartley Act shortly after WW2. This cut the nuts out of labor unions and allowed for the slave labor competition from Asia and the Right to Work (for less) laws facilitated the competition of cheap illegal immigrant labor flooding the market. Labor unions would have kept illegal immigrants from working in this country or at least kept it down to the most menial tasks. Strong labor unions would have kept tariffs in place that would have kept out foreign steel, cars, drugs, you name it.

I have sad news. The predatory moneyed interests have not a bit of concern if we live or die and sure don't mind if we end up in hovels such as those in Haiti and India. And now the lower level middle-men leeches are being squeezed out by big money. The big national banks have taken over the small lending the community banks did, Walmart ran the local stores out and now they are in squeeze by internet retailers that send stuff from huge warehouses. The little insurance offices are losing to the internet sales. Agricultural production is increasingly being bought by fewer and fewer buyers.

Your grandchildren will be lucky to have a roof over their heads in any kind of house they can call their own.

Try a free market once? Maybe?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes Jim, we used to have a lot more free market than we do now. When labor was castrated and big business was turned loose to form monopolies things went south.

If I sell cattle or timber, or deposit, or loan or borrow money my options are getting to be fewer and fewer. Big business loves to regulate the local bank, slaughterhouse, logging contractor, store, etc. out of business.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You must think that universal rent control would solve housing?

I am MAGA.
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WMR

That sounds like using a lot of general statements in order to claim victim status. There are over 20 million millionaires in the US now. The vast majority are self made. These folks somehow found a way to overcome the challenges listed. Another way of looking at this might be: What, specifically, has Warren Buffet done that has prevented you from becoming wealthy? Really nothing. Amazon, Apple and Microsoft have enriched their founders while making our lives easier at the same time. This is not a zero sum game.

No, it’s not a zero sum game, but there is no denying that in the battle for the disposable income of the American public, the lower and middle incomes have taken some serious hits. By their own choices and actions, I hasten to add.

The “big four hits” as I see them.

1) easy credit on consumer goods. Credit cards, store credit, no interest for two years, etc, etc, etc. all of those marketing ploys make it easy, very easy, to outspend your income. And we haven’t taught our young how to deal with credit properly. As a consequence of OUR failure, as parents, to teach, the kids are paying 18% interest on that Chick Filet meal for the next 7 years.

2) 6 and 7 year car loans and car leases. Kids buying a new $60K car right out of college, because they “need a reliable car” , or even because “they deserve it”. That’s 8-10K in depreciation they are signing up for PER YEAR, PLUS INTEREST, PLUS INSURANCE. The dam car costs them north of $15K a year, and a couple often will have two of those bad boys sitting in the driveway!

3) the “3% dowm, 30 year Mortgage”. Guaranteed to have you gain very little equity the first 12 years, and then they move and DO IT AGAIN! 65 year olds with 15 years left on their mortgage!

4) insane college costs, fueled by insane student loan policies. Who in their right mind sends a kid into a well trained college “financial aid” office that knows EXACTLY which buttons to push to sway the kid to signup for a bunch of loans so they can live in the dorm with the gym and three food courts? We send our kids in that meat grinder and they come out with $120K in student loans and a degree in Gender Studies and we get all teary eyed at graduation because they made the Deans list……….

Predatory credit practices are even worse among the lower classes, I don’t even want to get started on them.

All this is on US, the parents. WE failed to teach our kids basic money skills. Our grand kids are being sent to day care because their mothers need to work to pay for the credit card bills, the student loans, the car payments and the mortgage on the McMansion. If we as parents had taken some time to teach our kids about money, taught them how to budget, how to save, how to invest…….. the middle class would be majority millionaires.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I stand corrected, sir. I was only considering federal income taxes. Many thanks for pointing out my oversight. There are definitely more taxes now versus then, even thought the federal income tax rates are lower.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I figured thats what you meant. No worries

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The lefty marxists always spout one pie economics. In a fair economic system the rich get richer, and so do the poor. That is the true history of the west.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Classic whiner azz 'fire thread.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

MAGA
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM

fun to flush out the liberal thinkers, though.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM

fun to flush out the liberal thinkers, though.

Indeed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WMR

That sounds like using a lot of general statements in order to claim victim status. There are over 20 million millionaires in the US now. The vast majority are self made. These folks somehow found a way to overcome the challenges listed. Another way of looking at this might be: What, specifically, has Warren Buffet done that has prevented you from becoming wealthy? Really nothing. Amazon, Apple and Microsoft have enriched their founders while making our lives easier at the same time. This is not a zero sum game.
You probably should have chosen another billionaire to make your point. The one you named personifies flintlocke's point.

His point was that billionaires buy politicians to make themselves wealthy. For example Warren Buffett bought some politicians to shut down the xl pipeline so he could make some cash with his railroad.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There's gotta be way more than 20 million millionaires in the US.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by EdM

Did you read any of it?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by EdM

Did you read any of it?
I would say no as I didnt read much whining if any in this thread

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by EdM

Did you read any of it?
I would say no as I didnt read much whining if any in this thread

There certainly have been whiner threads....but as you say....this one was pretty good!

Some excellent posts.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,410
Posts18,528,153
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.