Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pheasant will have to wait until we're done working on lions, tigers, and bears.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dove hunting is my passion.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Bird hunting has always been my favorite outdoor passion. I have done all kinds of big game hunts and very enjoyable to, but training and hunting over Brittanies and fieldbred english cockers is my year round obsession. Fortunately, upper Michigan has some excellent grouse/ woodcock hunting. And plenty of excellent game farms around with pheasants. Have gone West out to SoDak with my dogs and friends for many years and will be out there for a week this year too. I would be happy to die with my boots on afield with my dogs. grin

Last edited by Natty_Bumpo; 09/25/23.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was 11 when the 1985 farm bill established CRP. We already had good populations of Sharps and Huns in central ND, but CRP just EXPLODED the pheasant population. So there I was, right in the middle of an upland explosion growing up with a father who loved to bird hunt and took me with him almost everywhere. We had labs when I was growing up. Once I finished college and had a place of my own, in 2001 I dumbed into an 18Mo finished English Cocker. I'm now on my 3rd and he hunts everything w/feathers.

CRP contracts went unrenewed and/or folks paid the penalty and got out early when commodity prices went wild and land-rent prices even wilder starting about 2008. Nobody is going to tend to grassland for $30/Ac when someone will farm it for $100+/Ac.

There are still pockets of wild birds and I do truly enjoy a walk behind a working dog. I don't have any big-game tags this fall so the dog and I will get after the birds harder. I've truly lived "The Good 'Ol Days" of upland hunting since my pre-teen years.

Last edited by horse1; 09/25/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do you have a bird dog to hunt birds or do you hunt birds to have a bird dog?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Duck hunted for 35 years exclusively. But, at some point, if became something I just did not enjoy anymore. I primarily hunted the mouth of the Mississippi out of Venice. No air cooled engines, outboards and pirogues only. Up until the overload of mud boats and surface drives, that way of hunting was truly special. I guess I'm just wired to be simple.

Our only true upland bird here in South Louisiana is the becasse.........woodcock. And I still make a couple hunts like that a year. When moved to deer hunting, my hunting partner moved focus to woodcock. Hunting over his pointers is classic!!! He has been successful with his dogs on many levels.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You started a great thread Sam!

Older friend got me into bird hunting here in Az in the late 80s. We would be coues wt hunting and he would say: "Got to get my deer so I can go back to bird hunting". I thought he was nuts as big game hunting was IT. As I got older I realized I had the same thoughts!

Been hunting upland birds in Az for 35 yrs with dogs. Gambels, Scaled and mearns quail. Dove and occasionally ducks.
Can't imagine hunting birds without dogs.

First dog with a bunch of scalies
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Gambels
One of the better days mearns hunting with a friend
fetching a double

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Pheasant will have to wait until we're done working on lions, tigers, and bears.

Feel free to drop that pup off at my house until you return. Take your time, no rush on getting back.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best of days are in October.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was fortunate to grow up with valley quail, chukar, blue grouse, and ruff grouse in the area. For a few years mountain quail made a showing and we would find them while going after the devil bird. Huns would be plentiful some years and sparse other years.

Love chasing valley quail and blue grouse....chukar is all about revenge now.

Upland birds will be a priority when it comes time to relocate upon retirement.

Last edited by 32_20fan; 09/25/23.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This Saturday morning, I will be dove hunting in east Texas. My first bird hunt in 40 years.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love it but I don't do enough of it. Southern quail hunting over good dogs is probably my favorite, but I must admit, N and S Dakota pheasants is also very enjoyable

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
It certainly is fun, but we're at almost $6 a gallon for LGB gas here now. I guess I want a chance to make more meat than a few birds, although with my luck a couple of chukar makes a better meal than the deer I don't get. grin

Ate a javelina tag in AZ a couple of years back when gas was too high, didn't see spending that kind of money for a vacation and a few pounds of meat, even as delicious as it is. And I love the area we hunt..

Maybe the economy turns around and my retirement plans start earning better rates again I'll chase birds more frequently. Don't know the odds, but I'd sure like to go after one of those snowcock.

Javelina delicious???

The ones we get in AZ are.

Once my outfitter buddy showed me how they clean them.

When I got back up to WA where I was working, I gave some to my farm boy neighbor and co-worker. His impression was it tasted like a farm raised free range pig, not a corn fed feedlot one.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I grew up here in eastern ks. Quail hunting used to be awesome around here but now if you see a convey per day you are doing well. But even with that I still have a gsp and we go every chance we get. Old habits die hard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntjinx
I grew up here in eastern ks. Quail hunting used to be awesome around here but now if you see a convey per day you are doing well. But even with that I still have a gsp and we go every chance we get. Old habits die hard.
We have a few in Brown County. Let the guys kill a few pheasants but quail are off limits.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Unless I have to I won't pick up a Javelina, stinking things are covered with fleas they will be up to you arm pit before you can let go, we call them ranch rats, no one here eats them. They will damn sure kill you're bird dogs in heart beat. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My son hunts pigeons and brags about how tasty they are. I have not tried pigeon.

He also convinced me to try carp and sucker, which are both nasty too.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RIO7
Unless I have to I won't pick up a Javelina, stinking things are covered with fleas they will be up to you arm pit before you can let go, we call them ranch rats, no one here eats them. They will damn sure kill you're bird dogs in heart beat. Rio7
AZ seasons are from late Jan/early Feb (archery) thru to the beginning of March or so (general). Fairly cool weather, as in snow where we hunt between 3500-5000+ feet elev. Probably keeps the flea numbers down, as I've never noticed any on the ones we've taken at camp.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Backroads
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

To you and Cheesy too. Beautiful dogs.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.