Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RUM7 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well,
My wife and I have come to a compromise. We can get another bird dog but she is not interested in going through the puppy stage again.
Anyone have success finding a 6 month to 2 year dog? Where would you look? I'm really hoping to find a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon or GWP to join the motley crew of my Dad's GSP and my Brother in Laws Pudelpointer.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here's another option to consider. Look for a high quality kennel who has a brood bitch that's reached (or soon will) the end of her breeding years either by choice or regulation. For example, in the Deutsch Drahthaar world, the German parent club prohibits the breeding of females past the age of 7. It's not unusual, to see a breeder let their mature brood bitch go to a good hunting home because they need space in their kennel for young females. Those mature, retired brood bitches are outstanding dogs that had to pass a series of tough hunting and medical tests before the parent club in Germany allowed them to be breed in the first place. A (mostly complete) list of breeders can be found on the breed club's website: Verein Deutsch-Drahthaar Group North America

Good luck in your search no matter the breed.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There is an 11mo female GWP on KSL.com right now.

Search for started or finished dogs, many breeders will start a few pups a year and keep one for the program and sell the rest.

RUM7 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a Facebook account. I'll try to use my wife's.
Backroads,
What is KSL??

- Wabi-
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RUM7
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a Facebook account. I'll try to use my wife's.
Backroads,
What is KSL??

https://www.ksl.com/

Salt lake City based news site. Also has a massive classified section with lots of dogs and everything else. It covers a big area, like Arizona to Idaho and more.

RUM7 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks

- Wabi-
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would be concerned that you end up with a dog that has either failed training, "birdie" tests or just doesn't want to hunt in one sort of fashion or the other.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have a friend who used to breed and train others Dogs for the big field trails....More than a few of his drop outs were hunting Dogs any of us would be glad to own.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow I wouldn't miss the puppy phase for anything

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B3

RUM7 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I would be concerned that you end up with a dog that has either failed training, "birdie" tests or just doesn't want to hunt in one sort of fashion or the other.
This is a concern of mine also.
My wife has spent countless hours redoing our yard. Our last pup (Chesapeake bay retriever) did a number on a bunch of her plants. I have time and am not in a huge hurry. Figure I can try and compromise for her.
With as many people out there who make rash decisions and have no follow through, I figure there has got to be some good dogs out there who could use a good hunting home. Also, I have zero concerns about perfect conformation or style points. Just looking for a good foot hunter that will be a good housemate to the rest of our family. Hunt drive and a bid able dog are my priority.

- Wabi-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then buy blood…which can be costly…. But ups your odds considerably. But without a lot of Birds, you will still most likely end up with barely average.

RUM7 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Then buy blood…which can be costly…. But ups your odds considerably. But without a lot of Birds, you will still most likely end up with barely average.

The purchase price, within reason, is of little concern. I may end up trying to fine a started dog from a breeder. maybe one who fell out of the breeding program because of a physical trait or other minor issue.

- Wabi-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They don’t necessarily have to fall out of a program.

The have a litter and often they have a big one. More than they have clients committed. And maybe more than they have time for. They have to put some time into each one. And then they make an educated guess on which to keep and let go. Dogs that don’t have any fault… other than they weren’t picked for the initial team. And often they are Dogs that get passed around. Dogs whose only value is if they win. There are a lot of unhappy winners who continually are pushed hard.

The winner for a hunter is often the unchosen one. But it is not always wise to wait and have it go somewhere else. 😉

Which is why buying blood is a good start.

Last edited by battue; 09/26/23.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Tell your wife you went to look at a started dog, but came across a pup that needed to be rescued.

Chicks love rescue dogs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Have a friend who used to breed and train others Dogs for the big field trails....More than a few of his drop outs were hunting Dogs any of us would be glad to own.

Absolutely! My best dog ever was a return to breeder because he was “unmanageable”. Just a very high energy dog with a very long cast for the breed. With very, very little work he was outstanding, and would hunt pheasants, Huns and sharptails during the same hunt, knowing how hard he could push before he’d bump them. I’d give my left nut for another one like him.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Backroads
Chicks love rescue dogs.

Yes, they do.

Wife wasn't completely sold on getting a puppy.
We adopted a 4 month old rescue pup two months ago.
Little Henry curled up in her lap and slept during the hour-long ride home.
End of story. grin

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting post. In the not so distant future I will be looking for another lab. But, I have been thinking to adopt a lab. Does not have to be a puppy. Could be a good female, not going to breed, to hunt with my aging female lab. Can anyone give me information regarding an adoption website to consider. I am looking for a female lab, color not a priority, but must be a good dog. I can travel and would give another true lab a good home. Might spoil her too much but OK. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Wow I wouldn't miss the puppy phase for anything

You are absolutely spot on. Nothing like raising, training and bonding with your bestest friend from the beginning

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve mostly gotten puppies but started dogs do come with some advantages. With a started (or finished) dog, you’ll know much more what you’re getting. With a puppy you’re never really sure.

For a gundog, I’d stay far away from rescues unless you’ve seen the dog work and interacted with it some. Instead, talk to good breeders and trainers and be BE PATIENT! Don’t rush ahead with just any dog you’ve found. This is a long term proposition so choose wisely. Get a well bred dog with a good temperament. Commit to spending the necessary time and money in training. The owner usually needs training as much as the dog. Most guys never scratch the surface of their dog’s potential.

Also, put money aside now for when the dog chews up your wife’s good shoes; and maybe for a piece of damaged furniture. That stuff happens. I consider it a small price to pay. Good luck in your search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (673, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 22 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.