Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Not a fan of Marion Morrison.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Not a fan of Marion Morrison.

Well yeah, Marion was a womanizing drunk who may have even cheated at cards, not to mention questions regarding military service, but John Wayne was a heck of an actor and produced a few duds (Genghis Khan) but most of his movies were worth at least one viewing.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Any of those movies he made about fighting in WW2 while Clark Gable and Jimmy Stewart were actually fighting in WW2 and the director, John Ford, who discovered John Wayne and made his career was on Midway filming the battle as it happened.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RHOD
Any of those movies he made about fighting in WW2 while Clark Gable and Jimmy Stewart were actually fighting in WW2 and the director, John Ford, who discovered John Wayne and made his career was on Midway filming the battle as it happened.

Yeah, but people like Ford, Stewart, Marvin, Douglas, etc. continued to do multiple pictures with him. None of us know the real story, but whatever it was, they still worked with him.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Yeah, but people like Ford, Stewart, Marvin, Douglas, etc. continued to do multiple pictures with him. None of us know the real story, but whatever it was, they still worked with him.

Got to work with who ever the boss hires, or who will do the best job.

I can't really blame John Wayne, in addition to his career just taking off, he was having an extramarital affair boning Marlene Dietrich at the time. I sure as heck wouldn't what to go off and dodge bullets if it meant leaving a fancy bedroom with a naked and willing Marlene Dietrich in it.

Its just that Marion Morison created the John Wayne persona that he presented in movies and in public life. The John Wayne persona of a brave hero, super patriot, family man, blah blah blah. In the end, it was utter B.S. That's fine, Hollywood is the land of make believe, its fun, but there was no John Wayne except in the imagination of Marion Morison and the people that want to buy into that fantasy with him.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All movies are fantasy. All actors are "acting". That's why they call it entertainment. I don't agree with the personal lives of most any actor, but many of them are good at their craft and are entertaining.

I liked him in "The Longest Day"

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My favorite was Marcus Welby MD.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I can't really blame John Wayne, in addition to his career just taking off, he was having an extramarital affair boning Marlene Dietrich at the time. I sure as heck wouldn't what to go off and dodge bullets if it meant leaving a fancy bedroom with a naked and willing Marlene Dietrich in it.

Its just that Marion Morison created the John Wayne persona that he presented in movies and in public life. The John Wayne persona of a brave hero, super patriot, family man, blah blah blah. In the end, it was utter B.S. That's fine, Hollywood is the land of make believe, its fun, but there was no John Wayne except in the imagination of Marion Morison and the people that want to buy into that fantasy with him.

If they had strong feelings, they wouldn’t have worked with him so much.

I don’t watch movies for who the actors really are, but who they pretend to be.

Tom Cruise is a nut, but usually makes a pretty good movie. Same can be said for most of them. Some might even be fun to have a beer with if the topic is on something other than them. I hear Harrison Ford is a real ass unless you are a pilot and talk flying.

If you are watching John Wayne, you are watching a movie, not reality TV. Most people get that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
US been at war pretty much since day 1. Lots of opportunities to serve.

Always interesting when those who didn't serve then call out others for not serving.

Not pointed at anyone here - just in general.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
US been at war pretty much since day 1. Lots of opportunities to serve.

Always interesting when those who didn't serve then call out others for not serving.

Not pointed at anyone here - just in general.

Yeah, seems to be the case. Those that did serve in Hollywood didn’t seem to hold it against him, so why should we?

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

If they had strong feelings, they wouldn’t have worked with him so much.

I don’t watch movies for who the actors really are, but who they pretend to be.

Tom Cruise is a nut, but usually makes a pretty good movie. Same can be said for most of them. Some might even be fun to have a beer with if the topic is on something other than them. I hear Harrison Ford is a real ass unless you are a pilot and talk flying.

If you are watching John Wayne, you are watching a movie, not reality TV. Most people get that.

Agree with all you've said. Except some people do tend to take the John Wayne persona a bit too seriously and reality TV is really pretty much contrived fiction also.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wish I knew my grandfathers opinion on him. He was a WWII and Korean vet, and worked for 20th Century Fox for 25 years. He worked on a lot of movies but I don’t know if he ever did a Wayne film. When I was a kid he was doing TV shows. I would go to the sets of MASH, Charlie’s Angels, and Love Boat. I was really too young to know the people I met were famous.

My grandfather was about as conservative as it gets, and he loved Alan Alda and spent a lot of years working with him. Kinda surprises me, but maybe Alda was less liberal in those days. My grandfather didn’t give a crap about their status and pretty much robbed them all blind. Somewhere I’ve got Charlton Heston’s desk lamp that Grandpa liberated.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hatari, since you wouldn't let us choose The Quiet Man.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Jet Pilot

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I liked Brannigan.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They Were Expendible
Trouble Along the Way

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In Harms Way

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Alamo (obviously)
Hatari
The Longest Day (easily the best movie JW was in that wasn't a Western, but not as great of an individual performance as above)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Wayne and Stewart were friends and Stewart had nothing but good things to say about Wayne.
Pretty sure Wayne had a bad back from a football injury. That's why he walked that way.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,411
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.