Hop To
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
This Saturday morning, I will be dove hunting in east Texas. My first bird hunt in 40 years.

Good luck. We need pics.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 300stw
about all i want to do besides flyfish, and i am along way from a trout

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Great pic. Where is that bit of heaven, please?

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This Saturday morning, I will be dove hunting in east Texas. My first bird hunt in 40 years.

You lose the plug to your shotgun or something'?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Geno, if I was you I’d be a mountain quail hunting SOB.
I chased them around Happy Valley a few years ago. Got several but they made me work for them, no doubt.

Other than that, I am an equal opportunity uplander.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have even known to carry a shotgun when going in for a 2nd load of bigger critters.

Great stuff T, as usual.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave

You lose the plug to your shotgun or something'?

Hahaha, tff.

But it takes a devious mind.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Walking around hoping to flush a grouse, partridge or pheasant has become my favorite type of hunting. Used to really be into whitetail and mule deer buck hunting but I gradually drifted away from that and the last few years have only hunted birds. I know guys that wouldn't waste their time looking for a bird and I know a few guys who only hunt birds.

I guess ideally a guy would have a drilling and focus on birds with the off chance of getting a shot at a big buck. That would be paradise.

But back to the original thought....

How many of you guys really anticipate upland bird hunting?

It's when I come back to life. When we could get OTC deer tags in NV I always carried a drilling. If I went deer hunting I also shot chukar, quail, and blue grouse. When chukar hunting instead, I often popped a nice buck the bird dogs booted out of thick brush, where I would have walked right past him.

It's illegal to use dogs to hunt deer, but I was ALWAYS chukar hunting. whistle whistle whistle

You could no doubt take full advantage of hunting with a drilling, Sam. If I could afford FJB gas I'd bring a couple out for you to try and help thin your sharptails and pheasants. wink

Blue grouse with Kreighoff drilling:

Chukar taken with a drilling: I got a small mulie buck a week later here, but I didn't have a camera.

Bobwhite and a great eating little doe in OK a while back, taken with the same drilling the same afternoon. .

Nice, L2S and great multi bag.

I didn't have a drilling but was ready for coyotes with a 22-250. Yep, it was deer season too. A 55 gr SP to a bucks neck works.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/25/23.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of Javelina. We are always on the lookout for them. I do my best to steer the dogs away if I see them.

Around 12 years ago my former pair of GWPs and I rounded a small hill deep in Gardner Canyon while mearns hunting. The dogs worked forward and loped right into a sounder of 15 javelina! The javelina and dogs were going the same direction. One big one sided Thor and bit him in the face as they ran side by side. I immediately began firing the shotgun and ran in the dog's direction. It was over in seconds.

After seeing cut on his cheek didn't seem too bad we went back to hunting. A day or so later the swelling began. Took him to the vet. After a careful inspection the vet found two connecting holes. Thor's face was shaved and the infected area was irrigated. Antibiotics stopped the infection and eventually his hair grew back. As you can see, for a while he was a strange looking dog.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Here is Thor along with Abbey with his regular hairy face.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by bobmn
Do you have a bird dog to hunt birds or do you hunt birds to have a bird dog?

Only reason to hunt birds is for the dog work. I feel sorry for those that don’t have that pleasure. Yeah they’re good to eat and fun to get but the dogs are the reason for the season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Walking around hoping to flush a grouse, partridge or pheasant has become my favorite type of hunting. Used to really be into whitetail and mule deer buck hunting but I gradually drifted away from that and the last few years have only hunted birds. I know guys that wouldn't waste their time looking for a bird and I know a few guys who only hunt birds.

I guess ideally a guy would have a drilling and focus on birds with the off chance of getting a shot at a big buck. That would be paradise.

It's when I come back to life. When we could get OTC deer tags in NV I always carried a drilling. If I went deer hunting I also shot chukar, quail, and blue grouse. When chukar hunting instead, I often popped a nice buck the bird dogs booted out of thick brush, where I would have walked right past him.

It's illegal to use dogs to hunt deer, but I was ALWAYS chukar hunting. whistle whistle whistle

You could no doubt take full advantage of hunting with a drilling, Sam. If I could afford FJB gas I'd bring a couple out for you to try and help thin your sharptails and pheasants. wink

Blue grouse with Kreighoff drilling:

Chukar taken with a drilling: I got a small mulie buck a week later here, but I didn't have a camera.

Bobwhite and a great eating little doe in OK a while back, taken with the same drilling the same afternoon. .

Nice, L2S and great multi bag.

I didn't have a drilling but was ready for coyotes with a 22-250. Yep, it was deer season too. A 55 gr SP to a bucks neck works.

THAT Rates a Two Cool!!

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Speaking of Javelina. We are always on the lookout for them. I do my best to steer the dogs away if I see them.

Around 12 years ago my former pair of GWPs and I rounded a small hill deep in Gardner Canyon while mearns hunting. The dogs worked forward and loped right into a sounder of 15 javelina! The javelina and dogs were going the same direction. One big one sided Thor and bit him in the face as they ran side by side. I immediately began firing the shotgun and ran in the dog's direction. It was over in seconds.

After seeing cut on his cheek didn't seem too bad we went back to hunting. A day or so later the swelling began. Took him to the vet. After a careful inspection the vet found two connecting holes. Thor's face was shaved and the infected area was irrigated. Antibiotics stopped the infection and eventually his hair grew back. As you can see, for a while he was a strange looking dog.

Dang,

tusked your dog good that pig did.

Glad he healed up nicely.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Most of the dogs I've seen get away from a storm with Javy's Need stitch's and big antibiotics,we manage to save about 75% of them, if we see them we bring our dogs in fast we have a huge Quail crop this year so we will be Quail from JAN 1st to March 28th all wild free range birds. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Azshooter

I always enjoy seeing your dogs. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Count me in as another that loves to hunt upland birds. I don't currently have a dog, but I used to have GSP, raised a couple of litters and used to run dog trials and did pretty well.

Although the pheasant population isn't nothing like it used to be back in N.C. Kansas around our farm, the bobwhites are making a comeback. Last year was the first season in a long time that I was able to kill a limit one day. And the dove hunting has been nothing short of great the past several years. Love some good fast wing shooting almost as much as watching a good dog work.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RMiller2
My son hunts pigeons and brags about how tasty they are. I have not tried pigeon.

He also convinced me to try carp and sucker, which are both nasty too.
Pigeon is just a big dove which they taste like, The carp are okay but nothing special.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A guy I worked for back in the 80s had a javelina for a pet, it nipped him on the ankle playing around and almost killed him, he almost bled out from the cut artery before getting to the hospital from his ranch outside Benavides Texas.
My buddy and I had a pet javelina that we kept at the motel his parents owned. One day an Indian dot was there looking at the place to buy. He made the mistake of kicking it and got bit, animal control was called and they took the javelina to the pound and the day before we could get him back someone cut the chain link fence and took him. They probably made tamales out of him.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm laughing,

tamales.

Bummer about your pet though Rog.

PM coming today about another question I have for you and krp.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

My history too, Sam, just fifty miles further north. If others had the experience we are describing, they would come to the same conclusion. ;-{>

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Love wild quail above any other hunting. Here in Texas the prices have gotten too rich for the average guy and public hunts are few and far between. Urban sprawl and the eye worm parasite have decimated my old hunting areas. I need to find a group of hunters that are willing to travel west and start hunting for different bird species.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, thank you guys for the great replies and pics. I've really enjoyed this thread, two thumbs up!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by 300stw
about all i want to do besides flyfish, and i am along way from a trout

Great pic. Where is that bit of heaven, please?

NE Montana

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,687
Posts18,494,053
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.