Hop To
C
Chuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I am a sucker for small centerfire rifles. I just got a Marlin 1894CL in .25-20
to go with the one in .218 Bee. I know they are similar, but is seems foolish to load a nice varmint round like the bee down when you can shoot edible game like rabbits and turkey with the .25-20.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyone here shoot the little 1/4 bore? I plan to use the 60 grain Hornady and cast bullets in it most of the time. In Arkansas it is legal for coyotes, bobcats, etc. I think it will be a very useful little firearm.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought one when they were introduced. Nice rifle, mine was pretty accurate. Made into a slick little rifle with a Williams Foolproof. I used the Speer 75 grain FP. I let an elderly friend of mine buy the rifle.

He passed away and I don't know what became of the rifle. I asked his son about it, he didn't seem to know what happened to it.

Probably the best turkey rifle cartridge bar none. I would think it would be about perfect for Javelina also.

I am hoping that Marlin might re-introduce it. Don't know why they didn't keep it in the line-up. Seems like they didn't stay on the shelves long, and I've not seen a used one for sale in my area.

Last edited by JB in SC; 08/18/03.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had one for years. I love it. I haven't used the Speer 75 grain as I got 1000 Remington 86 gr. SPs with the gun. They shoot great on top of 12.5 grains of IMR 4198. Lyman's little 257420 cast of wheelweights with 3.5 grains of RedDot will group into 1" @50yds. all day long if you're a careful bullet caster and reloader.

The only problem is the Remington brass. Unless you're careful it has a short life expectancy. Now I have learned never to full-length resize it and I also use a Lee crimp die and crimp in a separate motion after the bullet is seated.

The rifle has taken squirrels, cottontails, and jack rabbits with the cast bullet load and a turkey and a big Kentucky groundhog with the jacketed load. I have been pleasantly surprised with how the jacketed load performs and would not be opposed to using it on one of our little Texas Hill Country does in a pinch long as the shot wasn't over 60-75 yds. long although I sure wouldn't turn it against anything larger.

My little popgun alternatively wears either a Lyman peep or a 1.5X-5X scope although the peep looks a lot better on it.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From my experience, the .25-20 brass and the .22 Hornet brass suffer from the same problem: they both are very thin. The .218 Bee brass I've seen appears to be a little better in that respect.

Regardless, the .25-20 is an ideal small game cartridge. I would certainly suppose it would take a small whitetail down with good bullet placement. Shame that it's not legal here (on public land) during small game seasons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of the Marlin 1894's in 25-20. I like it. I shoot the Speer 75gr bullet and the Remington 86gr JSP. It is mostly a toy but I may shoot some squirels this year with it. I have had good varmint results using the 75gr Speer and AA1680.

Mark H

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Chuck-

I'm in the process of doing load development for my Marlin right now. I've mounted a scope just for the load development exercise and plan to pull it and install an aperture sight once I have the load worked out. My plan is to use it for small game & plinking in place of a .22LR; mainly because I like to load and cast.

I'll primarily (perhaps exclusively) be using CB's in mine. I have a 75gr. GC NEI mould & an 85gr. GC Old West mould that I'm working with currently. So far - the NEI bullet appears to be shooting a bit better (have not bothered to sort by by weight or take any "extra" steps for visual inspection or seating GC's). Best results so far has been with Aliant 2400, 7.9 grs. sparked by a Winchester Small PISTOL primer are delivering 1750fps with SD=11; 5 shots grouping under an inch at 50 yds. The velocity variation droped considerably by using the small pistol primer vs. the small rifle primers. I have some more work to do with different powders and velocity ranges but I think I'm getting close.

Have fun with the new toy!

Best regards-

Sky C.
Longmont, CO

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got one too. It likes 12.5 grs of WW680 over a 75 gr. Speer FP for about 2000 fps. and 5/8ths of an inch @ 50 yds. Mine also now wear a Lyman Aperture Sight.
One thing I learned is the value of using CCI 450 primers on those low density loads. Removed the flyers I'd get w/o them. Loads with H4227 and H110 also improved with the CCI 450's.
The cases must be trimmed and crimped in a separate step as others have found. E

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Has anybody had any better luck with Winchester 25/20 brass? I think Graf & Sons has some in stock.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I use both and can't tell the difference. In fact, they shoot identically as well. I segregate them anyway, but shoot the same they do.
All the brass looses I've had have been from necks giving way. Some of them don't even split all the way to the mouth.
I wouldn't call it real bad. 4-8 loadings per case if my spotty records are right. E

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I live in Northern Minnesota and the 25-20 is legal for hunting deer in this state. I have found that it does a great job if one is into head shots. When I used to live in Kentucky I hunted with a .40 muzzleloader and went for head shots there with that gun. Maybe because I always squirrel hunted with the .40 gave me the confidence to go for head shots. That confidence carried on the 25-20. I shoot squirrels, grouse, and about anything with it. I've never reloaded anything but a muzzleloader so I don't know about different loads, but I do know my little Marlin 25-20 will, at reasonable ranges, bust the skull of about any critter around here; maybe even blackbear. I haven't tried that yet but the season opens in a few days, I might yet.

Haggis

"When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung."

Henry Ward Beecher
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have one also. Does anyone know if they have micro-groove rifling or Ballard type rifling?

I bought it about five years ago from a co-worker who won it at a Ducks Unlimited banquet. Mine has a DU medallion inletted into the stock. It is NIB, I have never fired it. Perhaps I'll get around and load some ammo for it. I have a couple of different cast bullets for it. I just thought it was "cute"...the9.3Guy

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
9.3 Guy-

The 18984CL's are ballard type rifling - not microgroove.

Best regards-

Sky C.

C
Chuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Wow, I can't believe all the posts on the .25-20. I posted a couple of years on my .218 bee and didn't get all these replys. Lots of good info. I got a great deal on dies and a ton of jacketed bullets, so I will soon be ready to go.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've found that you don't need to crimp the bullets if your sizing die makes the bullet fit tight enough. ( Avoiding crimping extends brass life too. ) The low magazine spring pressure and virtually non-existant recoil don't drive bullets into the cases like larger calibers will. If you do try to avoid crimping, test to make sure your dies are tight enough. Try to push the bullet into the case by hand ( empty case of course ). I'll bend the case before the bullets will move.

I use Remington nickeled cases to make them easier to find on the leaf-littered Fall ground. They seem to last well for me. I use brass cases in my BF pistol in .25-20 - now THAT is an accurate rig, shooting well under moa with a good rest and 7x scope. I use pointed bullets in that one - NOT in the M1894!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.