Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
https://www.yahoo.com/news/off-duty-texas-trooper-shoots-191558541.html

You’d think a State Trooper would know better. I’m sure he expects “benefit of the doubt”, since he’s not a “gun totin’ moron” like the rest of us civilians. This is in Houston, so should get a LITTLE bit interesting…

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, the key takeaway in the story is that the trooper was unharmed. That's all that matters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Took stupid to a gunfight.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have learned here that if you are afraid, it's legal grounds to shoot someone.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Downtown Houston….shoot first, ask questions afterward…

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
IIRC it was the man in the Oval Office that
advised to get a shotgun and shoot warning
shots in the air, and shoot potential intruders
through the door

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have learned here that if you are afraid, it's legal grounds to shoot someone.
The fear has to be reasonable, and it has to be a fear of imminent, serious (potentially life threatening) harm. The definition of reasonable fear is fear that an ordinary prudent person would likely have experienced under like circumstances. The judges of this standard are, first, the cops (If the standard appears to be met, cops can choose not to proceed with the case), second, the prosecutor or grand jury (If the standard appears to be met, they can choose not to proceed with the case), and thirdly, the the trial jury, i.e., if both the cops and the grand jury/prosecutor decided to proceed with the case, the trial jury is the final judge as to whether the standard was met after the completion of the trial.

PS It's part of Florida law that one is presumed to meet the reasonable fear standard if there is an intruder in your home and you are not engaged in criminal activity when you shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Officer safety 😀

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dumb, and dumber. Why? Just why would you do that?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Trying to brake in versus forced entry and they are inside are to very different things.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We had a case here many years ago. I don't remember any details but a city cop went to a house for some reason. He talked to the owner through the screen door. As he turned to leave, the guy grabbed a shotgun from behind the door and and shot him in the back. He was so close that the shot was like a slug. He survived but I don't remember anything else.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The fear has to be reasonable, and it has to be a fear of imminent, serious (potentially life threatening) harm. The definition of reasonable fear is fear that an ordinary prudent person would likely have experienced under like circumstances. The judges of this standard are, first, the cops (If the standard appears to be met, cops can choose not to proceed with the case), second, the prosecutor or grand jury (If the standard appears to be met, they can choose not to proceed with the case), and thirdly, the the trial jury, i.e., if both the cops and the grand jury/prosecutor decided to proceed with the case, the trial jury is the final judge as to whether the standard was met after the completion of the trial.

PS It's part of Florida law that one is presumed to meet the reasonable fear standard if there is an intruder in your home and you are not engaged in criminal activity when you shoot.

Your sarcasm detector may be in need of recalibration.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In some states you only have to prove that you were in fear for your life!

Are you going to suggest that someone (especially an older or physically challenged person) that has someone with an axe (think The Shinning) screaming obscenities and threatening to kill them must wait until the would be assailant is in their home……I don’t think so!

Yes, that was an exaggeration……but, the point should be clear! If in fear for your life, the distance between the criminal and the victim is irrelevant! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/26/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

No, you implied that many here believe that fear alone is enough. This is in fact what I've observed, too. I provided a clarification of the actual law on the question.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by memtb
In some states you only have to prove that you were in fear for your life!

Are you going to suggest that someone (especially an older or physically challenged person) that has someone with an axe (think The Shinning) screaming obscenities and threatening to kill them must wait until the would be assailant is in their home……I don’t think so!

Yes, that was an exaggeration……but, the point should be clear! If in fear for your life, the distance between the criminal and the victim is irrelevant! memtb
Fear alone is never enough, regardless of jurisdiction. The fear must always be reasonable. Now, disparity is always taken into consideration in assessing reasonableness, so your example of a feeble old man would be taken into consideration under the term "in like circumstances."

PS Some states authorize one (under the right conditions) to shoot to prevent theft, such as Texas. But that's not categorized under self defense law.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

No, you implied that many hear believe that fear alone is enough. This is in fact what I've observed, too. I provided a clarification of the actual law on the question.

Gotcha. Most states don't use the word fear or afraid in their law at all. Florida only uses it in the Home Protection section. They don't use it in the self-defense/defense of others section. There's a good reason for that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Must’ve been a WOMAN State Trooper. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TimZ
Downtown Houston….shoot first, ask questions afterward…

LOL. Houston is definitely a Schitthole.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You “MUST” be able to prove in court that you feared for your or someone else’s life was in eminent danger! In many states, it will stand up in court…..and rightly so! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/26/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
You “MUST” be able to prove in court that you feared for your or someone else’s life was in eminent danger! In many states, it will stand up in court…..and rightly so! memtb

Actually, that word is most likely to be "believe."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,169
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.