Print Thread
Hop To
M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Since I moved from TN to my boyhood home in FL my hunting activities have all but ceased, I find my long guns are just collecting dust unused.
I shoot cast and bought the 788 here a few years ago hoping to feed it a hunting diet of cast bullets but that wasn't to be the case. My Savage 340 regularly out shot the 788 with cast. OTOH the 788 gobbled up any jacket bullet and load I fed it with amazing accuracy.

The front and rear sights are not present and the holes have been plugged. The stock has been refinished and a recoil pad installed. The stock has had push to release sling swivel sockets installed. The mating sling swivels will be included. It will come with scope mounts but a scope will not be included. A non refinished and otherwise unmolested stock will be included.

To be clear, I am not fishing for a buyer, I am just trying to determine a what a reasonable price considering its non stock configuration, would be.

I am headed to a right hand/elbow surgery in a few weeks, so its unlikely the 788 will see the light of day this hunting season. Thus I am contemplating a sale in a few months.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If your unsure on value of you firearm the easiest way is just post it up with nice pictures and a price higher then you would expect to get out of it, see what kind of response you get on said firearm. Then lower price every few days till it’s gone. Then you will know what it was worth smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Too bad you have to sell because you aren't hunting this year. Pics would be cool in a thread like this. I like the 788 30-30, and I know others do as well. Pretty cool rifles. You don't say if the stock is walnut. Is the "unmolested" stock walnut? How's the figure?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stang5021
If your unsure on value of you firearm the easiest way is just post it up with nice pictures and a price higher then you would expect to get out of it, see what kind of response you get on said firearm. Then lower price every few days till it’s gone. Then you will know what it was worth smile

Or list it on gunbroker and let guys bid it up over what you'd think it would normally sell it for. If you want bottom dollar, list it here in the classifieds. I'd also check gunbroker completed sales to give you a much better idea on value.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
500 to 1000. Depending on buyers and what they think about the condition

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by stang5021

I 2nd Stang on this! This is how I’ve been selling everything I want to sell! Post it with pics and price it over what I expect to get and just start dropping the price with each bump… someone’s going to say the magic words!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
sold mine about 3 years ago that was in excellent condition with a period correct K-4 Weaver for $900.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
500-600

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought one here a few years ago for $850 I believe. It was awesome and shot 1/2” hundred yard groups with ease using cheap green box 150 CL. I sold it to a long time family friend. He still has it and loves it.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hikerbum
500-600

With a poor description, such as the OP. Maybe?

Originally Posted by glosto
sold mine about 3 years ago that was in excellent condition with a period correct K-4 Weaver for $900.
In "excellent condition", very probable. If it has a walnut stock. The Birch stock's don't bring as much money.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It is unfortunate my description does not met your expectations.
Simple basics for now, somewhat akin to your own tag line.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Without pictures and detailed information, it is sort of like: "How much is my Ford Pickup worth?". The 30-30 will bring a premium especially if in mint condition I was told by someone that Remington chambered fewer 30-30's than any other cartridge in the 788. I bought one here on the fire last summer and I may have paid over $1,000 - don't recall. I'm very pleased with the condition and happy with the purchase.
It sounds like you been using yours a bit. Use post image and post a few pictures - you'll get a better idea on value.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Post up some pics. My brother has one and it's a shooter for sure. I may be interested if the price isn't rediculous.

M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
From my OP:
To be clear, I am not fishing for a buyer, I am just trying to determine a what a reasonable price considering its non stock configuration, would be.

I am headed to a right hand/elbow surgery in a few weeks, so its unlikely the 788 will see the light of day this hunting season. Thus I am contemplating a sale in a few months.

I am well aware that pictures sell guns, but this exercise was to gather information towards setting a selling price in the future. Given my current physical disability, getting the gun out and picture taking is not anywhere near the top of the list of things I am able to do. In fact, typing one handed isn't exactly fun either.

My apologies for not answering all your questions and I thank those of you who have provided pricing information.

Rest assured when I present you with a buying opportunity it will include many pictures and a in-depth description ie; make, model, weight and miles. wink

Last edited by mjac; 09/27/23.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don't forget to list the weight too. People here obsess over weight..🤣

Medics bury their mistakes..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mjac
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It is unfortunate my description does not met your expectations.
Simple basics for now, somewhat akin to your own tag line.

Better description man. It's not that hard to do: Condition %. How original is it? I'm talking metal and bluing, You can't even tell us if it's a walnut stock or not. This isn't that hard. Good pics are always a big plus too. You can't expect any kind of real evaluation without a good description. Sorry you don't get that. Are you democrat?

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
When you are able to get it out of safe you might get all of what you are going to sell and do pictures of all of them. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I know all too well about good days and bad.
Hope you have better than bad. Gun price 600 to 1000. GLWS when you do it.

M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dinny
Don't forget to list the weight too. People here obsess over weight..🤣

Dinny, you are being too kind. wink
Anyway, duly noted and edited above.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pics are the only way you will see a real value

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 3,205 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,629
Posts18,533,189
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.