Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'd like some advice and help on a small project. I recently bought (sorry no pics as its still on its way to me now) an early 760 in 30-06. Its the rifle with the 22 inch barrel. It has a cheap scope on it that I will be taking off (along with those lovely see-thru mounts) but what I would like to do is turn it into a "Benoit style" wood rifle and have the barrel cut down to 18 1/2 inches and install a low-profile/power scope on it. My questions are:

1. What length should I cut the barrel to? I'm thinking 18 1/2 or so. I'm not planning on re-installing the front sight and will remove the rear.

2. Scope choice? I'm limited to a budget of about $200. I've got a VX-1 2x7x33 on another rifle that I really like so am thinking along those lines as far as power/size. Suggestions?

3. Any particular loads that would work well in a short barrel? I'm thinking 180s as far as bullet weight but I'm all ears to load suggestions

4. Any pitfalls with doing this? Has anyone done this and found something I should be aware of? Has anyone done this and regretted it?

Looking forward to hearing what you all think

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Get some ear plugs!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Switch
Get some ear plugs!
And dark glasses if you plan on shooting it near first or last light. The 18.5" barrel will leave you half deaf and blind without protection. I had one of the carbines years ago and quickly traded it for a 22" rifle for just that reason.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wouldn't cut the barrel. A Leupold M8 4x can be had for your budget.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Truthfully, unless you really want the 18.5" barrel so you can really have a "Benoît special" I'd chop it at 20. The VX1 2-7x33 is almost the perfect scope for it. Then only one I'd like better would be a 1.75-6.

Could be a sweet rifle. Post pics when you get it.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Truthfully, unless you really want the 18.5" barrel so you can really have a "Benoît special" I'd chop it at 20. The VX1 2-7x33 is almost the perfect scope for it. Then only one I'd like better would be a 1.75-6.

That's what I did with a 760 270. Had it chopped to 20" and it's danged nice. Saying that, I have a 35 Whelen Carbine I don't find especially bad.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Whelen

Agree about the 2-7 or the old 1.75-6 if you can find one.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Leave the barrel alone save the expense of cut and crown.
Put a Vari X llc 2x7 on it, get a barrel band sling mount and a stud in the rear. Then have Mc Carbo send you a lighter trigger spring. Put a Verro Velinni sling on it .Go find a pair of AL Lindner sunglasses wear them. Maybe a Felt safari hat you want cool now you got it. Where do I send the consulting bill?.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Army_PSG
3. Any particular loads that would work well in a short barrel? I'm thinking 180s as far as bullet weight but I'm all ears to load suggestions
Ammo makers have had 117 years to figure out the 30-06, so almost anything should work well.

Originally Posted by Army_PSG
4. Any pitfalls with doing this? Has anyone done this and found something I should be aware of? Has anyone done this and regretted it?

I haven’t cut up a 760, but I have cut up other rifles. My regrets come from moving too quickly because I lost sight of what I wanted to accomplish.

The Benoit rifle is a mix of features carefully chosen to support a specific hunting style. The Benoits literally speed marched or ran through deep snow while tracking huge bucks from dawn until dusk for days on end. They used carbines to minimize weight and peep sights because most of their shots were close and fast. Those shots demand a rifle that balances well. They were also not shy about shooting as many times as needed to drop a big buck, and Remington pumps are pretty good at that.

Shortening a rifle’s barrel cuts weight but it also pushes the balance aft. Scopes makes this worse since they sit aft of the balance point. The heavier the scope, the worse it gets. If the balance point moves too far to the rear, then the muzzle will float on fast shots. Peep sights don't weigh enough to do that.

You can read everyone’s thoughts on balance here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18593502/1

If you use your rifle scoped, then you have to accept the fact that you're departing pretty significantly from the Benoit model so you won't get the same benefits.

I'd shoot it with a scope before I cut the barrel. Use a timer and paper targets to see how long it takes to get solid hits at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. Try the existing scope and mounts to set a baseline. Then put the older scope in very low mounts and see how that goes. The results might surprise you.

You can probably find a 2.5x or fixed 4x Leupold on the Classifieds around here for $200-ish.

Then you can make better decisions about sights and barrel length.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm in the process of doing similar now.

I've got a 7600 .243Win barrel with JES now being bored out to .358Win, might get back in the next couple weeks.

My smith here will cut/crown it at 19", reinstall the sights and CeraKote it. I've already replaced the wood with synthetic. I'm now just waiting for Leupold to get some VX3HD 1.5-5X FireDot "Twilight" Hunter back in stock, so I can take advantage of my .mil discount. I'll mount it using Warne QDs so the irons are an option.

From what I've read/seen, even the Benoits started using optics.

https://www.americanhunter.org/content/trophy-room-the-benoit-bucks/

I also have a 20" .260 Rem M7, and a 20" .350RM M7, I don't think I'm going to notice a difference of 1".

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As other mentioned, I’d leave the barrel at 22”

I had a 2-7 on mine for load development, then installed a Williams WG peep and red fire sight front. I like it…the way it carry’s and the balance. If yours has the front sling swivel on the forearm, then attach to the barrel like Magnum Bob mentioned.

Beretzs, good taste in rifles and snuff 👍

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a fan of rifles with a neutral balance, so would recommend mounting the scope that you want in the base and rings combination that you want and see how it feels before cutting the barrel back. Two or three inches of barrel length probably isn't going to make the rifle feel much different or make it any handier unless you're jumping into or out of vehicles.

If you have any early 760, it probably has a pretty low stock comb and you might find that a Beartooth Comb Riser sleeve will help to better align your eye with your scope. They come with or without cartridge loops.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd say cut it as short as you'd like to accomplish your vision for the rifle. If I wanted a fast handling easy to carry pumpgun, I'd put up with a bit more blast and flash to get there. One of my favorites to sneak through the tamarack and cedar swamps is a 16" .308. It's probably loud and has a muzzle flash, but I wear ear protection and sight in during the day. The deer don't care. Also, I'd probably reinstall the front sight because to me they odd without. JMO YMMV

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
From what I've read/seen, even the Benoits started using optics.

https://www.americanhunter.org/content/trophy-room-the-benoit-bucks/

I stand corrected.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I owned a 308 Carbine (18.5") for years and went to 20" instead. Now on my 3rd 760 cut to 20" and would not go any shorter. I currently use a 1
5-5 on my 30-06 in the lowest mounts I could find here. It's a perfect combo. Also had it drilled for a Williams FP which works very well indeed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My dad always hunted with one. He didn't get great bullet performance with the 180 grain out of the 18.5" barrel so he was always a 150 guy after that

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TomM1
As other mentioned, I’d leave the barrel at 22”

I had a 2-7 on mine for load development, then installed a Williams WG peep and red fire sight front. I like it…the way it carry’s and the balance. If yours has the front sling swivel on the forearm, then attach to the barrel like Magnum Bob mentioned.

Beretzs, good taste in rifles and snuff 👍

Thanks Tom!

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I owned a 308 Carbine (18.5") for years and went to 20" instead. Now on my 3rd 760 cut to 20" and would not go any shorter. I currently use a 1
5-5 on my 30-06 in the lowest mounts I could find here. It's a perfect combo. Also had it drilled for a Williams FP which works very well indeed.
Agreed.
I have (and have 'had' more) rifle and carbine length 760/7600s.
The only factory carbine I have left is my .35 Remington. IMO, it's the perfect balance but isn't anywhere near as snorty as the '06 carbines.
I have a factory Whelen that's finally getting cut to 20".
As far as scopes, the 1.5-5 is kinda the 'standard'. I'm pulling the 2.5-8 off my Whelen and replacing it with a 1-4 accupoint. The reticle will be about perfect for deer/bear.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 16" barrel rechambered 760 in .358 Win. Also have several stock 760's. I carry the .358 more than any of the others. Perfect walk around rifle. It is LOUD to shoot though.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like short rifles, my favorite is a 660.

Not a fan of the Reminton pumps, just for the record.

Mine is a later 760, one with the scalloped receiver and basketweave.

It has a low mounted 3x9. VX-2 and handles like a shotgun.
It balances well and is faster than its scale weight would indicate.
I've never thought it too long.

That receiver has some weight, I'd think you could quickly get muzzle light. That's not a good thing. For fast shooting its whippy, for deliberate off hand shooting the muzzle wobbles like a drunk on a tightrope.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You didn't say what you are hunting with it, so I'm guessing by your location mainly deer and hogs. For such, I love 165 grainers out of the 06. Killed many deer with the 165 Rem Core-Lokts before I started handloading. I've killed several with the 165 Sierra H.P. Game Kings since I started handloading. It has been a very accurate bullet.

My first rifle was a 760 30-06. I reckon due to stock design, it was the hardest recoiling 06 I ever shot. Might want to consider a recoil pad if you're going to shoot it a bunch. As for the barrel, personally I wouldn't go below 20". You wouldn't be giving up much velocity or handiness and with a light 2 x 7 scope, balance would probably still be decent enough. To each his own, whatever works for you is where you need to be.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,026
Posts18,500,526
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.