[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You fly that on or spread it with fertilizer?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Frown on.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Now.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I did some work in Illinois for the first time and just wondering is that good coverage? We did different rates but all seamed very light to me

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's filling in better now.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What benefit at what cost?

I don't know anybody around here who plants a cover crop in bean or corn fields. They might plant some beets and radishes to feed the deer that are smart enough to dig for them, but I've only seen that done in alfalfa and wheat fields and there is very little wheat grown around here these days.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I forget the cost, it keeps soil from washing, or blowing away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I don't know anybody around here who plants a cover crop in bean or corn fields. They might plant some beets and radishes to feed the deer that are smart enough to dig for them, but I've only seen that done in alfalfa and wheat fields and there is very little wheat grown around here these days.
Over time there are huge benefits to soil health; especially micro-biome. Plus, it keeps sediment and nutrients out of the local waterways. I'd suggest throwing some cheap clover out with the grass cover crop just to get the cheap N and sequester nutrients.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer

Over time there are huge benefits to soil health; especially micro-biome. Plus, it keeps sediment and nutrients out of the local waterways. I'd suggest throwing some cheap clover out with the grass cover crop just to get the cheap N and sequester nutrients.

Fortunately, our farms are pretty flat and don't have any notable water erosion issues that the few permanent swales/waterways don't address. We also still have Osage Orange hedge row windbreaks on the perimeters of most of our farms that helps to prevent wind erosion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Fortunately, our farms are pretty flat and don't have any notable water erosion issues that the few permanent swales/waterways don't address. We also still have Osage Orange hedge row windbreaks on the perimeters of most of our farms that helps to prevent wind erosion.

I overseeded every bit of pasture I have clear enough to drive a tractor through.

Used the fertilizer broadcast method with a couple hundred pounds of fertilizer per acre mixed with a heavy dose of rye and oat seed. It probably cost me a bit over $100 per acre.

It rained shortly after I put it out, and last week we had 3.25" of followup rain. It's really coming in great now.

My benefits are that the cattle will have some grazing throughout the winter months as long as I get an occasional rain to maintain it, (in a horrible drought year, that means a lot, especially when round bales are fetching $150 per bale.)

Another benefit is the pasture soil condition will be better in spring for the regular green up due to the recent added fertilizer.

More and more are doing that down here.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In our area rye is grown and cut for hay. I feed it to horses and cows. I have a friend who raises thoroughbred horses and she says it is not suitable for pregnant mares. They get a couple cuttings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ok. But a living root as often/long as possible does nothing but benefit the soil...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.