Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have a y experience with March scopes either good or bad?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

17 bench gun.
10-60x52.
30mm tube.
.125 clicks.
I have two of these and have been abusing them both for over 5 years now.
No issues no problems.
For what it is, and what I'm using it for.
A very competent optic.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've used a number of them, great optics, so far reliable.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like mine. I just wish they made normal scopes. Zoom ratio is ridiculous. The proverbial 10lbs of $hit in a 5lb sack. A normal 4-5x erector just works better.

I bought mine in an attempt to find a hunting scope with alpha level glass, NF type durability (they actually do impact testing, which is a plus), and save me perhaps a few ounces in the process. On paper, it ticks all those boxes.

I had some issues getting the occular focused to my eye for a clear reticle, but March fixed that. I will say dealing with Japan shipping was a PITA. They need stateside support before I’d consider buying another.

If they made a 4-16 or 20x scope and had US service, I’d probably back up the truck.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 09/23/23.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Every March scope I have been around or used has been fantastic
SDHNTR mentioned one issue, all support is in Japan. the big downside for me is only a 10 year warranty not lifetime like most Alpha scope makers

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
friend of mine's got a couple who come in the shop and mounted. he likes them plenty, well but one of them is like the very top end one and one of them was one of the cheaper models( if that's a proper word to use with the name March optics LOL)
I looked at them and played with them some seems like an awful lot of money for no more difference than I could tell from other things but it wasn't my money. there was definitely a difference in the very top end model and the cheaper model he has..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple March 1-4.5x SR scopes. The feature set is very good compared to competitors and the reliability is not exceeded by any.

Yes, I have heard of them being sent to Japan for repair/upgrades, but those were done in a timely manner that match/exceed service by domestic manufacturers.

I lump March in with a few other makers considered "best quality".

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Spectacular if their feature set checks your boxes, but that doesn't happen too often for hunters.
I had a 10-60 for LR target shooting. Tough to beat for that game.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Just thought I would add a couple of comments after the excellent answers here.

Warranty of 10 years. That is more of an issue with laws in Japan than anything else. I am quoting from their site:
"Should any scope problems happen, March owners can send their scope back to the factory where DEON will test, dismantle, reassemble and re-test the scope.

DEON will also provide a report on what they find. If a manufacturing problem caused the defect, DEON will repair the scope for no additional cost to the owner – even after the Warranty has expired."

You should contact them first before sending your scope.

Yes, it is a pain to have to ship to Japan, but they are VERY responsive and quick. There was a recent thread on Accurate Shooter, in which some people told about their experience with DEON's repair service, and it was exemplary. It's a rare occurrence, but stuff happens in real life.

I used to pay attention to posts in which people compare various riflescopes, in a store or a garage or even just outside. I've become jaded about these posts, for several reasons.

1- The vast majority of people do not even understand what they are comparing. The very first clue is when people talk about the various riflescopes and compare a 4-12 to a 3-9 or some stuff like that. I stop reading at that point as there is no need to go any further.

2- When someone actually uses the proper nomenclature for the scopes being compared, I want to see if we are comparing similar scopes at the same magnification. So if we are talking about a 3-9X40 compare dto a 4-12X40, the comparison should be from 4X to 9X. Being able to go down to 3X on one and up to 12X on the other are additional qualities, but not comparable. If the objective lens are different diameter, that either invalidates the comparison or must be taken into consideration.

3. Then we have the people who compare one scope to the memory of what he/she remembers seeing in another scope. Throw those reports out.

4. Also throw out comparisons done is someone's shop, or in store or similar venues.

The only real way to compare riflescopes is to have similar objective lens diameters, at similar magnification looking at the same target at the same time; in periods of heavy mirage. You see, all riflescopes will do a great job in similar circumstances, in great weather conditions. If that's all you ever shoot in, great weather conditions in the middle of the day, you may not get good enough benefits from alpha glass compared to less expensive glass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
4. Also throw out comparisons done is someone's shop, or in store or similar venues.
I've looked through scopes in a shop/gunshow and guess what? Some of the world's crappiest scopes look fantastic under 100 feet.

Good list!

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Just thought I would add a couple of comments after the excellent answers here.

Warranty of 10 years. That is more of an issue with laws in Japan than anything else. I am quoting from their site:
"Should any scope problems happen, March owners can send their scope back to the factory where DEON will test, dismantle, reassemble and re-test the scope.

DEON will also provide a report on what they find. If a manufacturing problem caused the defect, DEON will repair the scope for no additional cost to the owner – even after the Warranty has expired."

You should contact them first before sending your scope.

Yes, it is a pain to have to ship to Japan, but they are VERY responsive and quick. There was a recent thread on Accurate Shooter, in which some people told about their experience with DEON's repair service, and it was exemplary. It's a rare occurrence, but stuff happens in real life.

I used to pay attention to posts in which people compare various riflescopes, in a store or a garage or even just outside. I've become jaded about these posts, for several reasons.

1- The vast majority of people do not even understand what they are comparing. The very first clue is when people talk about the various riflescopes and compare a 4-12 to a 3-9 or some stuff like that. I stop reading at that point as there is no need to go any further.

2- When someone actually uses the proper nomenclature for the scopes being compared, I want to see if we are comparing similar scopes at the same magnification. So if we are talking about a 3-9X40 compare dto a 4-12X40, the comparison should be from 4X to 9X. Being able to go down to 3X on one and up to 12X on the other are additional qualities, but not comparable. If the objective lens are different diameter, that either invalidates the comparison or must be taken into consideration.

3. Then we have the people who compare one scope to the memory of what he/she remembers seeing in another scope. Throw those reports out.

The only real way to compare riflescopes is to have similar objective lens diameters, at similar magnification looking at the same target at the same time; in periods of heavy mirage. You see, all riflescopes will do a great job in similar circumstances, in great weather conditions. If that's all you ever shoot in, great weather conditions in the middle of the day, you may not get good enough benefits from alpha glass compared to less expensive glass.
A very thoughtful reply.
A lot of campfire optics readers could benefit from it.
I have a build ... full on bench gun that I'm planning.
One of the reasons I like the 10-60x52 is it's like 26 oz.
This gives me a lot of flexibility.
My future build is going to be under weight enough that I'll be able to run a March High Master.
And still make weight.
Pretty interested to hear your thoughts about it.

Dave

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sorry for the delay in answering, I try to stay away from the computer on weekends and I also had a match yesterday.

Thank you for the kind words, but I fear most people will ignore the advice and continue to offer comparisons because they think it doesn't apply to them.

For your build:
The March 10-60X52 is an excellent (relatively) lightweight riflescope that is very capable and offers superb IQ. The March-X 10-60X56 HM is 32 oz, an extra 6 oz. This riflescope is a 34mm tube with a 4mm thick wall (as opposed to 2mm in the 30mm tube), and it has Super ED glass. The Super ED glass does better in mirage, with the IQ deteriorating less rapidly than ED glass and much less than regular optical glass.

The next step up from the March-X 10-60X56 HM is the new March-X 8-80X56 HM Majesta, which adds more mirage resistance and has the widest FOV of any SFP and virtually all FFP riflescopes. But it's even heavier at 40 oz.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate that FTR.
I have a lot of time yet before I need one
The 10-60x52s have served me well.
Thinking about the HM to gain an edge.
Dave

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The incremental benefits for the 10-60X56HM and the 8-80X56 HM WA, are that the booth "handle" mirage more than the 10-60X52, if that's something that you wish for. Also, the larger diameter objective will bring in a little bit more resolution and equivalent magnification settings. The two other benefits of the Majesta (8-80X56 HM WA) are the 80X mag and the extraordinary FOV (25° AAOV) compared to other March (or any other brand) SFP scopes. But it's hefty at 40 oz.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Why does someone need a 10-60x scope? Are people using their rifle scopes to double as spotting scopes?

Pardon my ignorance, I just don’t get it. What’s the target market for such outrageous zoom scopes? Wouldn’t more offerings in the 3-15 or 4-16 range appeal to a lot more folks and sell more?

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Why does someone need a 10-60x scope? Are people using their rifle scopes to double as spotting scopes?

Pardon my ignorance, I just don’t get it. What’s the target market for such outrageous zoom scopes? Wouldn’t more offerings in the 3-15 or 4-16 range appeal to a lot more folks and sell more?

F-Class shooters & Bench rest shooters are the "target market" & use the high magnification for precise aiming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Obviously not you.

But F-class and benchrest are a thing. 😉

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Seems like these are the new darlings of the long range crowd.

https://www.zcompoptic.com/en-us/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Took awhile to get this pic.
That's a coyote target.
Its at 1000 yards.
I typically run around 40x
The other targets at 950,900, and 850 are all smaller.
Dave

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

As my handle here says, I'm an F-class shooter. I compete in F-class matches and F-class shooters LOVE magnification. Quality magnification.

From what I know of DEON (makers of March scopes,) they are a small Japanese company and they handmake all their riflescopes, to order. They love to push the optical envelop and they don't make "ordinary" riflescopes. Everyone makes a 3-15 or a 4-16; they make a 1.5-15x, a 2.5-25x, a 1-10x, a 10-60x, an 8-80x. They are not a mass market operation; they are the fine point of the cutting edge of the state of the art.

For example, they were the first riflescope makers to use ED glass in a riflescope. They are the only ones using Super ED glass currently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,972
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.