Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I certainly agree that using many of easily applied wood finishes such as lemon oil, Pledge etc etc are giving the user nothing more than instant shine. They offer no genuine abrasion resistance, moisture protection or UV barrier. They are just cheap and easy. But the statement that “ Mineral oil is a petroleum byproduct and we know how incompatible petroleum products are with wood “ is not entirely correct. These days we are at the mercy of ever evolving EPA health and environmental standards so quite a bit of petroleum based coating components are being phased out so housewife’s don’t get dried and chapped hands, or unpleasant fumes. In a perfect EPA world kids will be able to drink varnishes and paints who cares if the product retains any form of endurance

Back to rubbing oils, varnishes and paints used on wood substrate. Generally speaking varnishes or rubbing oils contain three primary components, drying oils, resins and solvents. Drying oils: Polymers are the dominant drying oils these days and most cheaper varnishes and oils contain this and it’s petroleum based. Better varnishes and rubbing oils are vegetal such as tung, linseed/flax seed oil, fish oil even walnut oil. Resins which regulate hardness and color of varnishes and oils include polyester ( petroleum based ), various tree resins, alkyds in most paints, and phenols also petroleum based. And finally solvents the most common being mineral spirits or Stoddards solvent another petroleum product. With paints there is also pigments, leveling compounds and a few other proprietary things.

Varnishes and especially rubbing oils there is a small % of metallic salt driers and ultraviolet filters, a critical component for exterior or marine work. Anyway most of the easily found varnishes and rubbing oils, polyurethane and acrylics consist of polymers all of which are derived from petroleum. The shift in the coating labs today is toward more synthetics such a the polyurethanes and others. It keeps cost down and is easier to compound. They are easier to apply, more forgiving, harder so better abrasion resistance but urethanes have a life cycle that eventually results in delamination, yellowing and crazing. Once these synthetics start breaking down stripping is the only option whereas traditional long oil varnishes ( Spar ) and rubbing oils can be sanded or scuffed up and over-coated. It is also true that polyurethanes and almost all urethanes including the more toxic and expensive cross-linked products break down rapidly to UV exposure. High end cross linked urethanes like DuPont’s Imron, or U.S. Coating Awlgrip can add additional UV filters to buy time.

BTW as of today nobody has sold me on waterborne clear finishes

Rick

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mrfixit
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

TruOil is nothing more nor less than a wiping varnish. A hardening oil (be it linseed or tung, doesn't matter and they're used interchangeably in the industry) with a percentage of varnish mixed in, plus a touch of solvent and drier. Exact ratios are a proprietary secret, but trust me when I say you can make your own custom blend of oil + varnish, and add a drop of drier if you want to speed the finishing process up a bit - and have something as good (and likely better) than TruOil. TruOil is omnipresent on the pegboards of half the gun shops in America, which makes it legit in the minds of a lot of folks. Kinda like saying Coke is the best drink in America because it's in every supermarket, 7-11, and fast food joint....

I Think that is exactly what I'm going to do. I have some pure Tung oil, and some Spar varnish. I think I'll make small bit and give it a try. I believe I've read about adding more oil to the mix after the first couple coats.
The Tru Oil i used was very thick and tacky, and the finished product was very glossy. I'm looking for more of the soft satin or eggshell finish of oil. I have read that the more oil in the mix the more satin the finish. Hope that is correct.

The final gloss on any good finish involves knocking the shine back to where you want it. They add silica dust to finishes to create matte surfaces which is not good for the life of the finish.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pre-heating your stock then applying a wash cost of epoxy resin almost alway results in small bubbles. Not all wood species act the same. Anyway your stock is out gassing or expelling air from the heat. Common problem and one that can be avoided by not heating up the wood. For best results you do need to acclimate the resin to room temp otherwise cold on warm or visa versa will shock the resin.

Ric

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Woodpecker

Anyway your stock is out gassing

I've heard that term before.....somewhere.......where was it........

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Brownells sells Custom Pro Oil, a tung oil/urethane mix.

Tougher than Tru Oil. Slower drying.

DF

IC B2

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Art, any anyone else that wants to comment, what effect does a final wax have? For example, if i get the perfect sheen that I'm looking for and then do a top coat of wax.....how will that change the sheen?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Pre-heating your stock then applying a wash cost of epoxy resin almost alway results in small bubbles. Not all wood species act the same. Anyway your stock is out gassing or expelling air from the heat. Common problem and one that can be avoided by not heating up the wood. For best results you do need to acclimate the resin to room temp otherwise cold on warm or visa versa will shock the resin.

Ric
Sorry, but heated wood, as it cools sucks epoxy into the wood and most certainly does not create small bubbles. I have applied a lot of epoxy on stocks for over 40 years.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mrfixit
Art, any anyone else that wants to comment, what effect does a final wax have? For example, if i get the perfect sheen that I'm looking for and then do a top coat of wax.....how will that change the sheen?
It depends on the wax. NEVER use car wax because it has silicone which is a horrible mess to clean off if you ever need to refinish.

Most increase the sheen. Leaving the wax on and not buffing it will matte it a bit.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I rub out a final glossy coat until it's dull, then wax/buff it to restore a soft luster.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Sorry, but heated wood, as it cools sucks epoxy into the wood and most certainly does not create small bubbles. I have applied a lot of epoxy on stocks for over 40 years.
Yep, hung a stock one time in the booth at work, wasn't thinking, turned booth to bake. back in a few minutes, the stock was covered with bubbles at every grain pore opening. Always got to apply whatever your using to fill grain when using heat when the wood temperature starts to cool, not first then heating it..bad. Never did that again.

IC B3

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Just and update. I'm going to say that I think my Tru Oil was old. It was thick like honey. I've wet sanded the stock back to just the epoxy. I'm confident I didn't sand through the epoxy, close inspection didn't show bare wood. In any event, I've gone back with a 50/50 mix of Spar Varnish and pure Tung oil. This is going on sooooo much better. It's smoother and easier to apply. I've got 2 coats on and really liking the way it looks.

Just wanted to update where I am. For me, I'm going to say I'm never going to use Tru Oil again. I know to never say never but here I am. I bought some small 4oz mason jars with lids where I'm keeping my small amount of mix.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i use Minwax Antique Oil and a piece of 0000 bronze wool for each coat. when i am done, then Polyurethane Oil and Mineral Spirits (3:1) for about 3 or 4 coats (use 0000 bronze wool after each coat is dried). then i use SC Johnson's Paste Wax.

1944 '98 Mauser in 8x57

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

'16 Spanish Mauser in 6.5x55

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,654
Posts18,533,853
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.