Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I need a little help. I'm stuggling with an older T/C Renegade .54 (I guess they all are any more). I have not shot it too much in the last few years, but have really struggled with it's accuracy. 30 years ago it shot great, I can't figure out what might have changed-yeah I know-my eyes, but other than that.

I know their twist rate is intermediate, but I used to get acceptable accuracy with either patched round balls or bullets, including Power Belts. The last few trips to the range were to try and wring out round ball accuracy for a hunt. .530 Hornady swaged round balls with heavy blue stripe pillow ticking patches greased accordingly and 90 grains of 777 most recently, but had troubles with 2F BP as well. I haven't been able to keep 3 rounds on a 14" target at 100 yards. 50 yards produces 8-9" groups.

Can you "shoot out" a muzzleloader barrel. Am I now limited to 50 yards and in???

Any thoughts from this knowledgable group would be appreciated.

LHS

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pitted bore?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
check the sights. Might be loose.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks. Not sure about pitted bore, but shouldn't be, has been well taken care of. How do I check without a bore scope?

Have gone over the sights, not loose. The underhanger did have some wiggle-I staked it to eliminate movement.

LHS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The groves are not really deep. Plastic can build up in those groves, so shotgun plastic wad remover is a good fix for that. Then I would run down some flitz patches to get the rifling really clean. Naturally it could be lots of things, but a though bore clean is worth a try.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d try different patch/ball combos. Maybe .535 and a thinner patch, or thicker ones with the .530s. I’d also try less powder. What did your fired patches look like?

Bronze wool and Ballistol will clean out that barrel.

As to your eyes, I replace the barrel sight on TCs with a Williams base and an aperture blade. Works great. This is a Greyhawk, but I have the same setup on a .50 Renegade.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I like that sight Pappy!!

Check the tang screw as well. Seen one back out just a tick on a custom made Hawken. It was about to drive its owner nuts and he figured it out. Funny part was, it was the relatively well known maker’s gun. Of course, it was 30 years old and had been shot a bazillion times.

To paraphrase ‘Stick, “nothing ever shoots tight-er”.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Had a older renegade 50cal at one time the only thing it would shoot was Buffalo bullets 385 gr the recoil was fantastic 😵‍💫

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My .54 Renegade was a little bit of a puzzle to get it to shoot. Ihad it apart once and found out the stock had cracked thru the lock area, couldn't see it untill removing the lock from the stock. I did not have good groups and I was wondering why.

The solution at the time was to glass bed the recoil lug area. I did it myself and it worked really well.

After bedding I fired 3 shots at 85 yards and could cover them with a thumb as I recall.

My load was always a home cast tc maxiball and about 100 gr equivilent of pyrodex RS.

Years later after not cleaning as vigorously as I should have it didn't shoot as well.

I dropped a mini flashlight in the bore and could see the damage from rust and not cleaning.

Totally my fault.

LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. A couple more things to look at. Haven't had the lock out since I "browned" it about 30 years ago and the original sights leave little to be desired.

Will try the mini-mag lite, but as I said I've been real diligent on cleaning. Just shining a light down the bore rifling looks sharp and shiny.

LHS

Last edited by LHS905; 09/28/23.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can learn a LOT from your patch. What condition is the patch in after firing it? If your bore is pitted and rough and is the problem, it will tear the patch up. Check for that before taking a deep dive into fixing something blindly. Bores can "look" horrible, but shoot just fine, so look at a fired patch or three before getting too excited.

Patch material might have changed since it shot well decades ago. You may need to not take it for granted and try other patch materials, other patch thicknesses, other patch lubes, maybe even other ball diameters.

It's a 1:48 twist if it's an original T/C barrel. It's a compromise to shoot balls and conicals "ok". It will never really shoot either exceptionally. My early days with BP were all Renegades and Hawkens. Nothing ever really wowed me until I got into 1:66 or slower twists for roundballs, and 1:24 twists for inlines and saboted pistol bullets.

Sights: it ain't gonna shoot worth a [bleep] if you can't drive the sights.

I'll add too, that your loading method can make a big difference with roundballs. It really doesn't matter "how" you do it, as long as you do it exactly the same way each time. I like a medium compression on my charges. More than just touching, but not pounded tight. I push the patched ball down onto the charge, then apply just enough pressure to "seat" the ball to a mark I've put on the ramrod even with the muzzle. This ensures the ball is actually seated on the charge, and ensures each load has the same amount of compression each time. I never hammer the load home and bounce the ramrod like Hollywood does it. That can upset the roundness of a soft lead ball and affect its flight characteristics which in truth are poor even when it's perfect.

Last edited by Feral_American; 09/29/23.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Get a good BP cleaner and plastic solvent. Scrub, and scrub, and scrub. Then rinse with hot water and treat the bore with 1000+. And shoot real black powder. Start with 70 grains and go up 5 grains at a time. I have found that those 1-48" twist guns only do so much. If you get a 4" group at 100 yards, that is about it.
Mine like 90 grains of FFFg and a patched round ball.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
1. Get fresh 777 . A couple of years and it gets inconsistent.
2. Most 1:48 barrels do well with a saboted 240-250 gr XTP over 75-100 gr loose 777.
3. Get a peep sight. A Lyman 57SML works well.
All this is assuming the bore is ok.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mulespurs
My .54 Renegade was a little bit of a puzzle to get it to shoot. Ihad it apart once and found out the stock had cracked thru the lock area, couldn't see it untill removing the lock from the stock. I did not have good groups and I was wondering why.

The solution at the time was to glass bed the recoil lug area. I did it myself and it worked really well.

After bedding I fired 3 shots at 85 yards and could cover them with a thumb as I recall.

My load was always a home cast tc maxiball and about 100 gr equivilent of pyrodex RS.

Years later after not cleaning as vigorously as I should have it didn't shoot as well.

I dropped a mini flashlight in the bore and could see the damage from rust and not cleaning.

Totally my fault.
Surprised that there are not more reports of TC Renegade stocks cracking through the lock area. The inletting leaves the wood very thin in places. I found that mine had cracked in several places. Epoxy reinforced with glass cloth was used for the fix.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman
Have heard this about 777. That's the reason I decided not to use it and stick with black.

Sights are another thing. Right now I am still using the factory sights on my Hawken although it is a GM round ball barrel. I did try some fiber optics a few years ago and group's looked more like patterns, too much Starburst from the front sight and made it very difficult to get a good picture.

Might try to find a tang mounted peep if you can

Is your front steel or does it have the tiny brass bed on the back? If brass you might take some 0000 wool and brighten the brass.

A good cleaning to get rid of anything left from years past would be a good, simple and free start. I still prefer hot soapy water for black but no telling what else could be in your barrel if you shot something with a plastic base on it.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 09/30/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
That's the famous TC crack, I buy and restore a lot of old Thompson Center sidelocks and about every 6th one I get has the crack or it is starting to crack. Most were damaged in the pre inline days when everyone was experimenting with sabots and pryodex. To large a powder charge. Best fix is to drill down and pin ( lot of people will tell you to use bamboo skewers) use a good wood glue.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by benchman
Have heard this about 777. That's the reason I decided not to use it and stick with black.

Sights are another thing. Right now I am still using the factory sights on my Hawken although it is a GM round ball barrel. I did try some fiber optics a few years ago and group's looked more like patterns, too much Starburst from the front sight and made it very difficult to get a good picture.

Might try to find a tang mounted peep if you can

Is your front steel or does it have the tiny brass bed on the back? If brass you might take some 0000 wool and brighten the brass.

A good cleaning to get rid of anything left from years past would be a good, simple and free start. I still prefer hot soapy water for black but no telling what else could be in your barrel if you shot something with a plastic base on it.
A green fiber optic is a lot better than a red one for old eyes. You can replace a red one pretty easily, just get the right diameter of fiber.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
If over the years you have used the ram rod with out a brass muzzle protector you may have done damage to the rifling, at the muzzle. A friend had the same problem . His rifle shot great for years & then accuracy fell off. Got the muzzle re crowned, accuracy came right back. Any wood or synthetic ramrod picks up grit. When this rubs against the rifling at the muzzle it wears away the muzzle unevenly, then loss of accuracy.

LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kelljp
That's the famous TC crack...

Any pics to know what I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by WStrayer
Get a good BP cleaner and plastic solvent.

What's a good BP cleaner and plastic solvent? Ballistol has been suggested. Shooter's Choice says it removes shotgun wad fouling-it works pretty good on choke tubes with a bronze brush. I was always told to shy away from petroleum solvents with BP-have always used hot water and Dawn dish soap, rinsed with almost boiling. While still warm a patch with wonderlube 1000+.

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Is your front steel...

Steel-I'd call it the intermediate one with round bead, rear sight has curved slopes to it. The older front sight had a better (IMO) square blade, the rear was square too.

Originally Posted by Feral_American
You can learn a LOT from your patch. What condition is the patch in after firing it?

I will search out the patches the next time I have it at the range. Also, your suggestion on loading is good advice-for most things.

Thanks for all the help, I'll start working on narrowing it down.

LHS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's a good BP cleaner and plastic solvent? Ballistol has been suggested. Shooter's Choice says it removes shotgun wad fouling-it works pretty good on choke tubes with a bronze brush. I was always told to shy away from petroleum solvents with BP-have always used hot water and Dawn dish soap, rinsed with almost boiling. While still warm a patch with wonderlube 1000+.

If you are going to use plastic sabots I would use the Shooters choice and a bronze brush to remove that plastic. Water and dish soap is good to remove the powder fowling and it does not need to be boiling. Hot from the tap is hot enough. I have had rifles that quit shooting groups until I removed all of the wonderlube from the bore. They went back to shooting accurately again. I will not put that stuff anywhere near a muzzleloader.

Petroleum based oils and lubes will mix with powder fowling and leave a tar like mess in your breach. I do use them for rust protection after I have cleaned out all fowling and I wipe it out then pop a few caps to clear it from the nipple before the first loading. Never had an issue with it that way.

Scrub out all that wonderlube and I bet your rifle will start grouping again.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,579
Posts18,473,329
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.