Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Moral of the story. Keep your runout less than .003", by whatever means/method you like. As long as that method is consistent. If you are not checking the rounout of your loaded ammo, then why mess with fancy equipment at all? I've shot ammo with a lot of runout and compared it to ammo with less runout and some groups were cut in half by the straighter ammo. Expensive die sets and stuff like that, that require all kinds of bushings and stuff should be left to benchrest shooters with benchrest rifles. But runout has an effect on accuracy/precision more than most think.

Here's an example of a hunting rifle (Ruger M77 MK2 300RSAUM) that I found brass with inconsistent neck thickness to be the issue. This in turn has a direct impact on runout. I threw out some brass that was really bad, giving more than .006" TIR. You can't get rid of inconsistent neck thickness issues with a fancy die. No matter how hard you try. It's just not going to happen.

Poor runout:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Acceptable runout:

And then checking the straighter ammo at 400 yards:
Holding less than 3/4 moa at 400 yards is acceptable enough for the hunting I do.

A double check of the straighter ammo:
Still holding 3/4 moa at 400 yards.

This is just a hunting rifle, but it plainly shows how runout affects the groups. Other groups shot with the poor runout showed the same results. I threw those targets away, they were so bad.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BullSchitArtist,

You are an AMAZINGLY Stupid Clueless Drooling Brokedick Fhuqk...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

How are the 108's and the like,treating you in your 6x45 Krunchenticker? HINT.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for TRYING so hard.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’m confused, now it doesn’t take 2, 10 shot groups to be valid?

3 shot groups are ok now?

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Moral of the story. Keep your runout less than .003", by whatever means/method you like. As long as that method is consistent. If you are not checking the rounout of your loaded ammo, then why mess with fancy equipment at all? I've shot ammo with a lot of runout and compared it to ammo with less runout and some groups were cut in half by the straighter ammo. Expensive die sets and stuff like that, that require all kinds of bushings and stuff should be left to benchrest shooters with benchrest rifles. But runout has an effect on accuracy/precision more than most think.

Here's an example of a hunting rifle (Ruger M77 MK2 300RSAUM) that I found brass with inconsistent neck thickness to be the issue. This in turn has a direct impact on runout. I threw out some brass that was really bad, giving more than .006" TIR. You can't get rid of inconsistent neck thickness issues with a fancy die. No matter how hard you try. It's just not going to happen.

Poor runout:

Acceptable runout:

Holding less than 3/4 moa at 400 yards is acceptable enough for the hunting I do.

This is just a hunting rifle, but it plainly shows how runout affects the groups. Other groups shot with the poor runout showed the same results. I threw those targets away, they were so bad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And what happened to hitting the orange sticker?

FWIW I did not buy my bushing dies because I needed to reduce run-out...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Interesting to see everyones opinions on the topic. I just bought a Redding FL bushing die to reload for my GAP Crusader. Using "standard" Redding sizing die, I was getting lots of .4moa groups. Not all the time mind you, but quite often! I'll be out to the range tomorrow with the same load, but brass resized with the new bushing die to see if there is any difference. For those interested, this load performs well on every .308 I've shot it through. YMMV, of course.

168 Z-max, 42.2gr IMR4064, Lapua brass and CCI 200.

Last edited by foamantelope; 09/29/23.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by foamantelope
Interesting to see everyones opinions on the topic. I just bought a Redding FL bushing die to reload for my GAP Crusader. Using "standard" Redding sizing die, I was getting lots of .4moa groups. Not all the time mind you, but quite often! I'll be out to the range tomorrow with the same load, but brass resized with the new bushing die to see if there is any difference. For those interested, this load performs well on every .308 I've shot it through. YMMV, of course.

I have the same die and use a .335 Short Action Customs bushing with no expander ball. Straight ammo without overworking the Lapua brass.

Last edited by MikeS; 09/29/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by foamantelope

That's similar to a well known load used by those who shot matches with M1A rifles.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Poor runout:

Acceptable runout:

Do you happen to have a chamber cast of this rifle? Could still be absolutely a result of the chamber/throat dimensions as per the theory of the gentleman in the video. I can’t say, but in my many custom rifles, I’ve not seen it make any difference to the point that I would have to try to screw up the rounds to get more than 0.003” anyway.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BSA you wanna p.m me a cell# or email and ill show you 4or 5 Hunting rifles that were shot off a bipod that are 1.5 -2" groups at 665- 700 yards that never had one round measured for runout. Those types of groups are required for my hunting needs thats the moral of the story.
Some [bleep] matters other [bleep] dont.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not measuring for runout doesn't mean there is runout.

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don’t waste my time worrying about runout.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Exactly, why measure if it dont matter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Theres alot more stuff to worry about, if less than .007 matters you got something else going on like tight freebore, fat bullets, etc.
The days of tight freebore, tight necks etc have gone out the window.
A straight chamber to the bore is alot more forging also, so maybe runout matters in a crooked chamber

Last edited by sherm_61; 09/30/23.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I didn't say it doesn't matter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I didn't say it doesn't matter.
Walk up to a 1,000 yard BR line and ask guys if less than .007 TIR matters.
Like I said earlier within reason TIR doesn't matter if your rifle is put together correctly.
Theres absolutely no reason you can't tune a hunting rifle same way as a BR rifle, the BR guys I know do it the same for both.
Of course the hunting rifle has to be capable thats were the smith is a big key.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Sure...necks are anealed, I do this after every firing, air cooled. I find anealing helps with consistant bullet steat depth. I also find that before sizeing and pulling the case over the expander ball, I use a very LIGHT lube of Imperial wax, applied with a cotton swab,to lube inside of the neck..then the outside of the case. Over the years, I`ve gotten a "feel" for this. Thoses who have it know. what I`m endvering to do is keep the case concentrict. I wipe the outside of the case clean, then into the trimmer. Mostly because of the pressures I run, and how I have my die set up, this only requires a touch up. After sizing, and this is step is I think, important, I put a very good champher on the inside ot the neck, then outside. I then take OOO steelwool and polish the champher, getting it smooth for the seating process. Prime and fill. The case goes into the press, I sellect a bullet at of 20, that have already been chosen for consistant BTO, place on the neck and guided into the seat die with my fingers. I then run the case and bullet up to meet the seat stem. When I contact the stem, I stop, and GENTLY, using my fingers, lift the press handle just a little and drop it on the bullet, GENTLY, several times. If you can picture this, what I`m doing is aligning bullet, die stem and case. Should you do this a bit ,you can feel the process. I do Not start the seating process until I`ve done this. Start the bullet down the case neck about half way, turn case 1/2 turn and complete the seat. Check bullet seat depth.

I`ve never checked my run out.

This sounds very time consuming but is really not. Just part of my process, and goes quickly.

YMMV

Holy schidt that's funny!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd be surprised if a 1000 yard competitor assembled cartridges with much runout anyway. With my simple gear I have no problems at all assembling stuff to .002" or less, maybe .003" if I'm using "lesser brass" that hasn't been culled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd be surprised if a 1000 yard competitor assembled cartridges with much runout anyway. With my simple gear I have no problems at all assembling stuff to .002" or less, maybe .003" if I'm using "lesser brass" that hasn't been culled.
My point exactly, so why measure?
Theres good tools and bad tools, the right tool and the wrong tool.
I've ran across some pretty $hit Redding, RCBS and Horny dies. Its another reason anymore I have all inline seating dies made from my reamers in the stuff it matters even in some of my 20 cals. If I have the reamer I order a blank and make it.
I dont go to the extreme of measuring seating force but you can sure tell the " feel" of difference if your Neck brass prep is off, they go as foulers or pulled apart and preped again. Let alone the ease of doing seating depth tests or reloading at the range.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't have to measure every cartridge every time. I use it as a diagnostic tool to evaluate components and procedures. When I know I'm assembling straight ammunition then I know runout isn't there to affect things. I don't have to be concerned with whether or not a particular rifle is affected by it or not.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have to measure every cartridge every time. I use it as a diagnostic tool to evaluate components and procedures. When I know I'm assembling straight ammunition then I know runout isn't there to affect things. I don't have to be concerned with whether or not a particular rifle is affected by it or not.
I haven't measured a case runout or loaded round in probably 12 years

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 51 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,831
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.