Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The term clickers was foreign to me. Supposedly there are SAAMI dimensions that don't work with dies that do not size brass enough just above the case head.

Have you run into this? I had to Google my way through it. Still not sure why it's called a clickers.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
The term clickers was foreign to me. Supposedly there are SAAMI dimensions that don't work with dies that do not size brass enough just above the case head.

Have you run into this? I had to Google my way through it. Still not sure why it's called a clickers.

It's because of the clicking sound you get when you lift the bolt handle that last bit when it's stiff to operate.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sakoluvr,

I use a Forster FL sizer for loading the 6.5 PRC, but also used a Hornady FL die for a while. Both sized the body fine for my rifle's chamber, which Charlie Sisk installed with a Pacific Tool & Gauge reamer he ordered. (It was his first 6.5 PRC barrel job.) Haven't had any difficulty resizing brass.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sakoluvr,

I use a Forster FL sizer for loading the 6.5 PRC, but also used a Hornady FL die for a while. Both sized the body fine for my rifle's chamber, which Charlie Sisk installed with a Pacific Tool & Gauge reamer he ordered. (It was his first 6.5 PRC barrel job.) Haven't had any difficulty resizing brass.
AW2 reamer or saami or do you know?

Last edited by sherm_61; 09/30/23.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't listen to me, email Alex Wheeler, Ryan Pierce ask Al Nyhus.
For Fugg sake ask a smith who builds rifles and knows about the Clicker problems thats who I would be asking.
You can lead them to water but can't make um drink.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you have ever reloaded and shot a 20VT that was chamber for 221 Rem fireball brass but used Lapua brass you have the same clicker problem then you would know what I'm talking about its the same issue, open up the .200 line .002 problem solved.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have the regular Hornady die set for my 6.5PRC, and I get VERY heavy bolt lift with all reloads. Using Nosler ammo, which measured .527-.528 at the .200 line, after firing they measured .530-.531. After full length sizing, they measure .530ish, they chamber easily after sizing. Load is 59gr. Retumbo, 140gr. Hornady SP at 2.81. I am some Hornady & Peterson brass to try next.

Last edited by stratton; 09/30/23. Reason: left stuff out
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
After years of having that problem I attack it two different ways. If I buy a new reamer, I buy two. One to chamber with and I spec the other .oo3" smaller at the base and .002" smaller at the shoulder. I use the undersized die to make a full length die. With your 6.5PRC or any other cartridge you can take an old die, and cut about .100" off the base and then run a drill through it at the shoulder diameter. This will allow your case to move further in to size it a little smaller. You can vary the sizing by moving your die up or down.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Butch, have you read what Alex has done trying to solve the issue in the beginning, im sure you have. He tried having custom dies made to try more sizing at the base and so have others it didn't work thats why he opened up the back of the chamber.
Why not just use the correct reamer in the first place?
Like I said call some of these smiths up who have built a ton of these PRC's and ask them the correct fix.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
New ADG and Lapua PRC brass believe is .529 at the .200 line you cannot go any smaller than that.
Bullet Central and Cortina dies size to .5295 the problem lies is spring back after 3 orv4 firings on brass.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sakoluvr,

AW2 reamer or saami or do you know?

You would have to ask Charlie Sisk.

My rifle was barreled before most 6.5 PRC factory rifles even appeared. Was asked by Hodgdon to do an article on it when it was announced, but after contacting the various manufacturers it turned out none would be here in time. So Charlie ordered the PT&G reamer he wanted, and I paid for it--along with a #4 contour Lilja 1-8 twist barrel.

Charlie is pretty particular about reamers, which is why I suggest asking him about the specific dimensions. As noted above, I haven't had any trouble handloading for my rifle with either Hornady or Forster FL dies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Butch, have you read what Alex has done trying to solve the issue in the beginning, im sure you have. He tried having custom dies made to try more sizing at the base and so have others it didn't work thats why he opened up the back of the chamber.
Why not just use the correct reamer in the first place?
Like I said call some of these smiths up who have built a ton of these PRC's and ask them the correct fix.

You may want to reread my post. Specify a die reamer under size on the od of both the .200 and shoulder does the same thing as Alex is doing. Yes, you can spec a reamer that is fat and use your off the shelf die. More than one way to skin the polecat. Now, if somebody other than Alec chambers a barrel, you may have to resort to modifying a die as I mentioned above.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Reread my post Butch Alex and many others have tried the modifying die thing, IT DIDNT WORK.
Why do you think he worked with Bullet Central to make dies to match his reamer, now Eric Cortina does.
That is why he redesigned his reamer.
The point is use the best tool for the job, there's complaints all over the place about PRC sizing issues all you have to do is look or ask gunsmiths who's built a ton of these PRC's instead of trying to fix a problem after the fact.
Again you cannot size brass smaller than what it is brand new no matter what die you use.
Google " PRC die problem" there will be many post you can read about it and what the solution is

Last edited by sherm_61; 10/01/23.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been shooting 6.5 PRC for some time. I've used Hornady, Lapua, and ADG brass. I have two rifles, a custom rifle and a Browning.

I am running 143 gr ELD-X at 3051 fps out of the custom rifle with ADG brass. I anneal, FL size, and trim every firing. I was one of those that "never had a problem" until six firings in. I bought a couple different dies to solve it. Finally, I purchased a Cortina Precision expander mandrel that sizes the case at the .200 line. The problem was greatly reduced, but not completely eliminated. It only shows up on higher round count brass. I have so many rounds down the barrel I won't worry with correction until the next barrel.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well ill be!! FINALLY

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How does the mandrel die work to resize the head area? Thought it was just for the neck.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well ill be!! FINALLY

Calm down. I am just getting into the PRC world. LOL. Having a 7MM PRC put together now.

I do appreciate your info.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had to open up the .200 line on my 30-28 also from saami to get rid of " Clickers".
Research people thats all it takes before you decide to build a gun, solves alot of problems.
Horny screwed the pooch on there saami specs on this one, but it dont matter if you only shoot factory ammo.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, AdventureBound, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 4,133 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,809
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.