Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
This thing weighs 20lbs and has a back pack frame accessory for it to help carry it if need be. I have helped drag out several hogs and a couple of bears where this would have really came in handy. No avalanche needed here….

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WTH did he say??

LOL.

Looks like a handy gadget for occasional use.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I like it, I wonder how long before Milwaukee puts out something like this on their platform

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya, it’s listing for a little over eleven hundred dollars. Kind of pricey for an individual purchase. If somebody was running a remote guide service or picking one up for a hunting club use it might be more practical.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Made by the Portable Winch Co in Quebec. I don't have one of their winches, but I do use one of their skidding cones when dragging logs with my ATV.
Skidding Cone

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
[Linked Image from cappelsinc.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Man, that will make you want to skin a beaver!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks a knockoff of a Simpson capstan rope winch. I bought one of those years ago when I hunted the northwest part of the state in big hills. Yep, 16 pounds of muscle to wind anything less than 2,000 pounds up those hills. Mine has the lighter Tecumseh two stroke engine, so it is ready to pull as soon as it starts. I’ve pulled my truck with it, but mostly pulled in my father-in-law’s steel boat lift with it every fall. Works great. Alas, fil sold the cottage and I don’t hunt the north west part of the state any longer. I’d sell one of you guys my Simpson winch with a reasonable offer.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
Looks a knockoff of a Simpson capstan rope winch. I bought one of those years ago when I hunted the northwest part of the state in big hills. Yep, 16 pounds of muscle to wind anything less than 2,000 pounds up those hills. Mine has the lighter Tecumseh two stroke engine, so it is ready to pull as soon as it starts. I’ve pulled my truck with it, but mostly pulled in my father-in-law’s steel boat lift with it every fall. Works great. Alas, fil sold the cottage and I don’t hunt the north west part of the state any longer. I’d sell one of you guys my Simpson winch with a reasonable offer.
I might be interested in that.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Oh, winch. I thought you said wench.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t know how to post pictures on the forum, but I could text or email some. I dumped a big buck back there behind a couple of ravines where you could have hidden Lambeau Field. My buddy and I winched him up with a boat winch and I said never again. Winning a big buck contest more than paid for that winch. I asked the out west guys what they do and they put me onto that Simpson. I talked with Simpson and they said to get the one with the built in motor, not the chainsaw option because of misalignment and the weight of the chainsaw head. I did make a mount for my deer sled and deer cart, but I found that it was just easier to put a few half hitches around the antlers and wind them in. State land, so no motorized vehicles allowed.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Simpson capstan with a Honda 4 stroke I use when hunting certain areas on the Oregon Coast for elk.

Our trucks have to be close enough to easily retrieve the winch. It’s not something you want to throw on a board and pack around all day, along with 1000ft of rope, snatch blocks, strap or cable to secure the winch to something solid, like a tree. Then extra gas for a long, fuggly pull.

It easily becomes impractical for a lot of our hunting situations. But, if we know upfront that we’re going to hunt an area with really steep terrain that has logging road access for driving on. We’ll throw the winch in.

2 bulls taken from one herd. It still took three of us 9 hours to pull the bulls to the landing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Tools of the trade for certain elk retrievals.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yes!

I clicked on this thread looking for wenches not winches.

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
I don’t know how to post pictures on the forum, but I could text or email some. I dumped a big buck back there behind a couple of ravines where you could have hidden Lambeau Field. My buddy and I winched him up with a boat winch and I said never again. Winning a big buck contest more than paid for that winch. I asked the out west guys what they do and they put me onto that Simpson. I talked with Simpson and they said to get the one with the built in motor, not the chainsaw option because of misalignment and the weight of the chainsaw head. I did make a mount for my deer sled and deer cart, but I found that it was just easier to put a few half hitches around the antlers and wind them in. State land, so no motorized vehicles allowed.
Windfall, I sent you a PM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yes!

I clicked on this thread looking for wenches not winches.
She's a handy looking wench, indeed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 1st time I saw that advertised, I thought it would work great with light weight winch rope as it's extremely strong and prices have dropped a lot. I emailed the winch cust support and asked. Nope. They said that Dyneema winch rope is too slick. The capstan will just spin without gripping it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lewis has made a portable winch for many decades. You buy one then attach a decent size motor from a chain saw to it. I believe they are rated for 4,000 pounds with a single pulley. Carried one on my Koyukuk moose hunting trips.
Not sure of the current pricing but the winch part used to cost around $600 and you supplied the motor.
Ouch! Just checked and now they cost $900

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
^^^^^what this guy said. The Lewis winch + a professional grade Stihl is going to outperform those snow mexican versions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I have a Simpson capstan with a Honda 4 stroke I use when hunting certain areas on the Oregon Coast for elk.

Our trucks have to be close enough to easily retrieve the winch. It’s not something you want to throw on a board and pack around all day, along with 1000ft of rope, snatch blocks, strap or cable to secure the winch to something solid, like a tree. Then extra gas for a long, fuggly pull.

It easily becomes impractical for a lot of our hunting situations. But, if we know upfront that we’re going to hunt an area with really steep terrain that has logging road access for driving on. We’ll throw the winch in.

2 bulls taken from one herd. It still took three of us 9 hours to pull the bulls to the landing.

Tools of the trade for certain elk retrievals.

🦫

I have a Simpson Capstan winch also and I've winched a couple deer and elk out of some nasty canyons and it worked fine. But , like Beaver , it became a real pain in the butt going to the truck to get the winch, the 600 feet of rope on a reel, extra gas, etc.... and then getting everyone involved on the same page how to manage the winch, the animal, etc... I cheaped out when I got mine and got the model that takes a chainsaw head, which works fine but is noisy as heck and adds a lot of weight. Haven't used mine in quite some time but may take it up this year to see if it still works okay... may think about selling it one of these days unless one of my hunting buddies decides he wants to use it.

This is obviously a clone of the Simpson winch from what I can see...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 673, 79S, 2500HD, AB2506, 5sdad, 21 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,498
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.