-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd special-order one of the 300's...no gold on mine please.

Listen with your ears.Or they will make you stupid.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jed
It can be done without the Gold.Not taking orders yet. wink

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be up for one minus the gold as well.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here are some pics of a NIB 300 I have as well as the knife that came with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by like2shoot; 12/22/07.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine was SN H00025x. Bought it from Ray Nemath in PA in 1987/88 and sold it sometime in the early 1990s.

Jeff

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by biglmbass
SAVAGE MODEL 110 50TH ANNIVERSARY
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- 50th Anniversary of the Model 110: 1958 � 2008
- Classic styled short action model with following characteristics:
- Total of 1,000 rifles
- Chambered in 300 Savage
- First Savage bolt action chambered in this caliber
- High luster blue barreled action
- Hinged floorplate
- High grade floorplate with 24 kt gold plating & etch block scroll pattern
- 50th ANNIVERSARY
- 1958 - 2008
- 1 of 1000
- 24 kt gold plating & etch block scroll pattern to both sides of receiver
- Gold plated barrel bands
- 24 kt gold plated double barrel bands
- 24 kt gold plated trigger
- Semi-fancy American walnut stock
- Unique classic checkering pattern
- Shadow line cheekpiece
- Savage embossed recoil pad
- MSRP $1724.00

Sheesh, you could have at least credited the site you copied the info and pics from. wink

And Les, these will be short-actions, not long actions. They also still have a barrel nut, it's just smooth. Savage has been using these nuts on the Classics for the past several months.

And I'm shocked....none of you guys noticed the new bolt-release button in front of the trigger guard. This is another new feature being phased in on the Classic series models, but will probably find it's way to all the models by the end of 2008.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The boss knows his s$&t. wink

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They would be better offering up a 99 in 300 savage. With a brass rotary.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now Jim, I'll admit, my bad, but I was looking at that and it just didn't look like a short action when I compared it to the other photos. I do need the contact info on the Savage custom shop. By the way, those photos are right from the Savage website. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Schnabel? It's a 50th anniversary of the 110, not the 1920.

Thats about as good as bringing out the commemorative of the 1895 in 308.

MD,
I've often wondered this myself. Why would Savage chamber the 1895 in anything other than 303 savage (or perhaps their most popular cartridge, 300 savage)? Anybody have a line on What were they thinking?? crazy

Thanks, and Happy Holidays,
Mike

Does it come in Red and Black plaid? Is it wool?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Violator22
Now Jim, I'll admit, my bad, but I was looking at that and it just didn't look like a short action when I compared it to the other photos. I do need the contact info on the Savage custom shop. By the way, those photos are right from the Savage website. Les

Photo's can be deceiving as we all know.

As for them being straight from Savage's website, that's not possible as there's nothing posted on their site about the Anniversary model yet. Also, the 2nd photo is the one I cropped down to better show the action detail. The only photo Savage has released is the first photo, in TIF format, that's about 2900 pixels wide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

or a 50th anniversary model 110 chambered for the .300 Savage .... they were released to the public chambered in 30'06 and .270 WCF ..... never in 300 Savage ....

Don't get me wrong - I am happy about the chambering ....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by gd'40EG-300

or a 50th anniversary model 110 chambered for the .300 Savage .... they were released to the public chambered in 30'06 and .270 WCF ..... never in 300 Savage ....

Don't get me wrong - I am happy about the chambering ....

Do you have any inside info as to why Savage chose to chamber the 1895 anniversary rifle in 308 rather than perhaps 303 savage or 300 savage (the later would be the most logical choice IMHO).

Thanks,
Mike

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Really bad understanding of the marketplace would be my guess.. grin

By the way, my comment on schnabel's was in regards to ANY bolt action rifle being better with a schnabel, not in regards to the Savage 110. The 1920's and Winchester 70's with the schnabels are much better looking to me than the modern Savage bolt actions.

Sorry, just got tired of seeing that silly response to my post.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
LOL...yeah, the more and more I see what Savage keeps coming up with for new designs, the more I wonder where they're getting their market information.

I can partially see why they went with the .308 for the 1895 Anniversary model. Let's face it, .303 Savage ammo isn't exactly readily available, and .300 Savage ammo is only available in two, maybe three factory loads anymore. The .308 is one of the top selling cartridges, thus offering it in .308 would make it more appealing to consumers (in the eyes of Savage that is).

Fortunately, the fact that they're offering the 110 Anniversary model in .300 Savage shows they've learned from that earlier experience and are now listening (to a limited degree) to what their customers want. Unfortunately they still screwed the pooch with the gawdy engraving and gold plating, but I suppose that's part for the course on Savage's part.

Remember the horrid stock design they were initially going to offer on the Model 12F-TR rifle, the one that looked like it was only 3/4 finished with a tumor protruding from the bottom of the butt? It only took three months of complaining from most everyone who had seen or handled one to get Savage to finally realize they goofed and fix it.

They also continue to supply the majority of their rifles with that pathetic, wet-noodle-like synthetic stock that everyone's been complaining about for nearly two decades. With all the small changes they've had to make to the synthetic stock molds for the changes in the last few years they could have saved themselves a lot of money by simply implementing all these changes at once and making all new molds and greatly improved the stiffness and styling of their synthetic stock in the process.

Their latest and greatest "WTF moment" has to do with the new push feed magnum bolt head that's 1/8" thicker, requires a totally different firing pin assembly and front baffle, and results there being 1/8" less of the barrel shank supported by the action. Supposedly this change strengthens the design, but I don't see how. Yes, it strengthens the bolt assembly, but by the same token it effectively weakens the strength of the rifle where it counts most...the chamber area. And I've yet to have seen any complaints of broken bolt heads with magnum cartridges necessitating this change.

The mother of all screw-up's though can be directly placed on Brian Herrick's shoulders. With all the changes to the 110 over the past few years (the AccuTrigger, new magazine system, new action screw spacing, etc), it was Brian's brilliant idea to NOT change any part numbers. As you can imagine this has everyone in Customer Service pulling their hair out as now they have to play 20-questions with the customer to find out exactly what they have and what specific part(s) they need.

Last edited by MrFurious; 12/27/07.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GLEN, any thoughts ??????????

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been under the impression that the people who ran Savage in 1970, when the 75th Anniversary Edition was cataloged, and the people who run Savage in 2007 are 100% different.

Anybody with any experience in inventory control knows in his/her heart that every new product, or change to an existing product, cries out for a unique inventory control number. Commingling of dissimilar parts under a single inventory control number is mind numbingly stupid and I'd bet that if the manager who made that decision had spoken to the people who had to implement and work with the commingled parts, they would have offered a fix before there was a problem.

Jeff

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Your right Jeff.Ithaca kinda went thru same deal several times.I had a 116US, bought new by my brother in law in 1996,which was like their highest grade bolt action.Stainless barreled action,nice cut checkered stock.But I couldn't look at it anymore than a month with that big screwdriver slot on one end and pipe wrench barrel nut on the other.I had to sell it.Yeah maybe a little bling on the barrel nut.You listening Savage

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your note about Savage Arms mistakes over recent years. I found it illuminating. Having worked for a number of large companies myself, I've seen similar goofs made when there wasn't an effective review mechanism in place to review design/inventory control decisions before they're implemented.

RE: the 75th anniversary 1895 in 308. It's a fine looking rifle, and honors their history. The 308 cartridge is a very popular, effective cartridge. I just don't get the pairing of the two. If I'm the sort of customer that buys a special anniversary model from a favorite manufacturer, I want it to be chambered in a cartridge that likewise honors that manufacturer's history. The 300 savage meets that criteria. The 308 does not. IMHO, that anniversary model would have a higher value if it had been chambered in 300 savage.

Thanks again,
Mike

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.