Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Creeker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have enjoyed the pictures & the post in this thread. The Dodge looks real nice.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thoughts on tying a bar/Aux lights into the high/low beam? Meaning no matter what, when you switch to low-beam, there is also no Aux lighting?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
Thoughts on tying a bar/Aux lights into the high/low beam? Meaning no matter what, when you switch to low-beam, there is also no Aux lighting?

Mine are plumbed that way through relays, with the addition of a cut-out switch to disable them with the high beams on. So I can use high beams without them, but can't use them without the high beams on.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by K1500
Are you wanting to enhance your lighting only off-road or while on the road? All the light bars and other add on lights are generally illegal to use on the road. With good reason, as they are totally blinding to oncoming traffic. If you are off-road it doesn’t matter. On road you are pretty much limited to headlight replacement with better/brighter units. Look to something like a replacement headlight kit with led projectors. My understanding is a simple bulb swap is likely to make things worse. You really need the unit to be designed for an LED bulb.

Not all of us are brainless window lickers. I am very aware of how bright these lights are, and will always dip my lights for oncoming traffic, most times before I see the oncoming vehicle. It's easy to see the haze from their lights on the other side of a hill or curve. I use them on-road in rural areas and have been able to brake for wildlife on many occasions to avoid hitting them. Interesting thing that I've noticed is because they completely illuminate the roadside, deer tend to freeze instead of run, which does help. I'm not sure of your locale, but local law enforcement has never stopped me, and a few LEO's (acquaintances and friends) have quizzed me about them, asking how effective they are.

YMMV...........

Just from years of reading your posts, I knew you'd be thoughtful and responsible with your light usage. However, around here there's a bunch of wannabe country boys rolling coal in their POS second gen Dodge trucks who haven't evolved to window licking... they are more likely to be licking doorknobs. Run the super-bright and badly adjuster lightbars 24,7.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by K1500
Are you wanting to enhance your lighting only off-road or while on the road? All the light bars and other add on lights are generally illegal to use on the road. With good reason, as they are totally blinding to oncoming traffic. If you are off-road it doesn’t matter. On road you are pretty much limited to headlight replacement with better/brighter units. Look to something like a replacement headlight kit with led projectors. My understanding is a simple bulb swap is likely to make things worse. You really need the unit to be designed for an LED bulb.

Not all of us are brainless window lickers. I am very aware of how bright these lights are, and will always dip my lights for oncoming traffic, most times before I see the oncoming vehicle. It's easy to see the haze from their lights on the other side of a hill or curve. I use them on-road in rural areas and have been able to brake for wildlife on many occasions to avoid hitting them. Interesting thing that I've noticed is because they completely illuminate the roadside, deer tend to freeze instead of run, which does help. I'm not sure of your locale, but local law enforcement has never stopped me, and a few LEO's (acquaintances and friends) have quizzed me about them, asking how effective they are.

YMMV...........

Just from years of reading your posts, I knew you'd be thoughtful and responsible with your light usage. However, around here there's a bunch of wannabe country boys rolling coal in their POS second gen Dodge trucks who haven't evolved to window licking... they are more likely to be licking doorknobs. Run the super-bright and badly adjuster lightbars 24,7.

They are everywhere, I’m afraid. From the individuals you describe to the countless work trucks and vans with cheap Chinese LED lights aiming at the trees…..

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rigid lights

KC Lights

There are a lot of off name brands out there as well. I tend to wait and purchase a better product, they just seem to last longer (who would a thunk)

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sactoller
Rigid lights

KC Lights

There are a lot of off name brands out there as well. I tend to wait and purchase a better product, they just seem to last longer (who would a thunk)

Both good companies, but ARB blows KCHILITES away in terms of performance. The KC light bar produces 6900 lumens, the ARB over 25000. Pricing is similar, with the ARB about $100.00 or so more. When you are spending that kind of money, it’s worth doing the research.
Rigid makes a good product too, but their after sales service sucks, in my experience. I had a set of their DOT/SAE compliant foglights on my 2014. Not cheap stuff, about $550.00 at the time. The lenses started to develop small cracks in them, and I had a helluva time getting them to warranty them. Not a great experience.
Black Oak (Florida based) has a no questions asked lifetime warranty on their stuff, and they have a very good reputation.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sactoller
Rigid lights

KC Lights

Both good companies, but ARB blows KCHILITES away in terms of performance. The KC light bar produces 6900 lumens, the ARB over 25000. Pricing is similar, with the ARB about $100.00 or so more. When you are spending that kind of money, it’s worth doing the research.
Rigid makes a good product too, but their after sales service sucks, in my experience. I had a set of their DOT/SAE compliant foglights on my 2014. Not cheap stuff, about $550.00 at the time. The lenses started to develop small cracks in them, and I had a helluva time getting them to warranty them. Not a great experience.
Black Oak (Florida based) has a no questions asked lifetime warranty on their stuff, and they have a very good reputation.

Yes I agree on ARB, they just slipped my mind this morning. Holley is making some good light now, as well.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a couple of Rigid lights. One is getting hot and blowing fuses and melting wiring. Needs to go back to Rigid after 5-6 years.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,761
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.