Print Thread
Hop To
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Does not hold the attraction of young guys like it once did.

6 games in our area forefit for lack of players this week end. I know the population of the area is not considerable, but WTH

Are we unusual? Or is this the norm in small town USA?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You can’t live in Texas, it’s still the center of life in the fall, never heard of what your saying, sad !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Does not hold the attraction of young guys like it once did.

6 games in our area forefit for lack of players this week end. I know the population of the area is not considerable, but WTH

Are we unusual? Or is this the norm in small town USA?

Oklahoma, due to the number of small towns, still has a thriving "6 man" football schedule!
Both teams scoring 40 or 50 points is normal. The only ineligible reciever is the guy throwing the pass! LOL!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don’t know where you’re located…..but, I don’t think that holds true for the deep south! Football holds near religious status down there! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are other places where this has happened - sometimes an outcome of school size and finances - sometimes due to cultural lack of interest/motivation.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Sad indeed, 8 man squad, some of you only 6? We`re in Northern Wi. bordering the UP. At one time, Football was "the" game to play, Basketball a close second.

I was taken by surprise, anyway. Shouldn`t have been I suppose, as I seldom see kids outside playing anything now days.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I know a lot of guys that have had their knees trashed by playing HS football.

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My old man was a hs football coach for 30 years in northwest Oklahoma. We play 8 man football. Football is the only thing that keeps our town alive. Only have 150 kids in the whole school but we can play some ball. I will say this though, the competition isn't was it was 20 years ago. Back then it seemed like kids were just tougher. But Friday nights from September to December is a big deal in Oklahoma.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 16penny
I know a lot of guys that have had their knees trashed by playing HS football.

I’m one of them. Dislocated the left knee my jr and sr year in high school and spent half of both seasons on crutches. I have a second cousin that has significant brain damage from a high school injury. He will get his high school diploma, in a wheel chair, and he will be in a wheel chair rest of his life.
Glad my son was not interested in playing and no way in hell I’d play it again, if I was in high school.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's still big in GA, but nothing like the 1970's or 80's. Part of it is recruiting. If one school has a few good years then every good football player in 50-70 miles moves to that school. They dominate that part of the state for a decade before someone else starts winning. Decent players at that school who aren't good enough to get on the field start look around and move to another school where they can play. Which pushes out other local kids. Loyalty to ones own community no longer exists.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
High school football is very much alive and thriving in this neck of the woods. I hope it stays that way. It is a social event as much as anything else.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JMR40
It's still big in GA, but nothing like the 1970's or 80's. Part of it is recruiting. If one school has a few good years then every good football player in 50-70 miles moves to that school. They dominate that part of the state for a decade before someone else starts winning. Decent players at that school who aren't good enough to get on the field start look around and move to another school where they can play. Which pushes out other local kids. Loyalty to ones own community no longer exists.

I wonder if these transfers pay any attention to the quality of education they get? I sure hope so.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
16penny, you are right about knees, I was blocking against Earl Campbell, the 14th game of our senior year, my running back was tripped at the line and plowed my knee from behind, I got a hold of Earls ankle and must have squeezed the blood out of his foot, his eyeballs were popping out, I went ahead and played in college with that bad knee, later in life 4 knee scopes and two knee replacement, football save my life as a kid when we move to Texas, it’s the greatest game and character development there is, I remember playing Odessa Permian in playoffs, we put our hands together in huddle to drive ball in for win, and the blood was dripping on the ground from everyone , God that is what makes men, every kid needs that.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Coyote 10, you from Shattuck??

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It’s big in this state since there are no pro teams and only 2 college teams with WVU being the favorite. Listen to HS football every Friday and even on Thursdays if there is a game on the radio. Friday night after the game there is High School Sportsline that covers the games played with the players and coaches commenting. I enjoy this time of year on Friday nights.

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Yea, me and my youngest son included

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now you have lacrosse, cross country,competing for kids.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Who cares? There's more to life than football and brain damage.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 30 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.