Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This dish may be Louisiana’s greatest contribution to mankind. Any good recipes out there?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Made it for my stepson yesterday. He said it was good! I used the recipe on the 12oz bag of crawfish tails. I never had it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I love it, but every place seems to have their own take on it. I don't think I've ever had the same version of it twice, and we seek it out when we are on the gulf coast. I think the best I've ever had was in Shreveport at a little place next to the Sheraton hotel. That was years ago, place probably isn't around anymore but I've been trying to get that version of it ever since.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/01/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife makes a pretty good Crawfish Etouffee….pretty proud of my Wyoming girl!

If ya don’t want to do it from scratch …. Oak Grove makes some good package mixes for Etouffee and Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice, ect. Far better than Zatarain’s…..which is more of a New Orleans flavor than Creole/Cajun! A big difference between the two! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/01/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My sister dated a guy from Baton Rouge. His parents invited us over for dinner and crawfish etouffe was served. Damn fine eating. They did not share the recipe. Bought some shrimp a couple weeks ago. Wanted to try Etouffee with shrimp, watching this thread.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Meh....
Don't care for something harvested with a dip net or traps from the stagnant water and gawd knows what else is in that water from ditches alongside the interstate or roads.

As if no one has never seen that being done...

Bet 50% of em sold to people are from those sources and not just pond operations...

Plus if ya gotta try and hide the dirt taste of the things with Tons of hot flavorings and other spices.
No matter how much your try to soak it out and clean them up before.

They can't be that good to begin with..
And yes I tried them boiled and in dishes in Loiusana about 4 or 5 times.

All IMO...
YMMV....

I'm a heathen anyways....

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My Favorite Cajun dish. But never had it home made.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by KFWA
I love it, but every place seems to have their own take on it. I don't think I've ever had the same version of it twice, and we seek it out when we are on the gulf coast. I think the best I've ever had was in Shreveport at a little place next to the Sheraton hotel. That was years ago, place probably isn't around anymore but I've been trying to get that version of it ever since.
Sounds like Herbie-K’s restaurant. They could really make it pop!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shrimp is good, but just isn’t quite the same as crawfish …..crawfish simply has a very unique flavor! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t know how authentic it is, but I’ve made it and keep it pretty simple.

Bell pepper, onion, celery, diced fine. Usually about 1 large onion, 1 pepper, a couple stalks of celery.

A chopped tomato.

Handful of chopped parsley.

Flour and oil for roux

Stock. Shrimp or chicken works.

Garlic. Couple cloves chopped.

Whatever your favorite Cajun/creole seasoning might be. My fave was just called New Orleans seasoning that was sold at the dollar store. Haven’t seen it in a couple years though.

Crawfish or shrimp.

Make your roux. I like it a bit darker than some. Somewhere between peanut butter and a tarnished penny in color.

Add the veg. When it starts to soften add garlic. Cook down until soft.
Add seasoning
Add tomato’s and stock.

Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Check seasoning and adjust if needed.
Add parsley, crawfish or shrimp, and cut the heat after about a minute. Let steep for another 10-15 minutes.

Serve over rice.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
If you have shrimp make a stew. Actually a good shrimp and crab stew is tough to beat.

Crawfish are much better to make etouffee, the fat from the crawfish is what makes the difference I believe.

Last edited by Mike70560; 10/01/23.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’m a northern hillbilly living about 100 miles south of Canada so a long way from etouffee but had some on a trip to Louisiana, absolutely delicious. If anyone has a good recipe that they’d be willing to PM I’d appreciate it. Sad fact is that I don’t eben know how to make rouix.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live in North Carolina. We don't get much Cajun cooking up here.
When I drove the big rig I rolled across Louisiana more than 600 times. I grew to love the crawfish etouffe.
My favorite was exit 115 on I-10, go north 1 mile, Crawfishtown. They had parking for 18 wheelers.

Expensive but good. There is something about the flavor of crawfish, I love it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roux is hell for simple. Just pay a little attention.

Oil and flour. Well, any fat and flour I guess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First link when I put roux in the googler:

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/how-to-make-a-roux/

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
we used to do crawfish boils all the time when I lived in Mobile

just get a couple of saw horses and a sheet of plywood, boil em up and dump them out, just sit around and eat, watch the game, drink from long necks....it was as good time

Thought I'd introduce it to my family back in Kentucky, so I setup the rig at the house, misread how much crab boil I should put in and ruined an entire batch of 'em.

They have never let me live that down.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
KWFA…..I’ve ruined more good meals than I’ve produced! memtb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by memtb
My wife makes a pretty good Crawfish Etouffee….pretty proud of my Wyoming girl!

If ya don’t want to do it from scratch …. Oak Grove makes some good package mixes for Etouffee and Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice, ect. Far better than Zatarain’s…..which is more of a New Orleans flavor than Creole/Cajun! A big difference between the two! memtb

Zatarain's mixes are loaded with sodium.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I posted on this thread, ran to the store to grab a pepper and parsley, and am now eating etouffee over left over Chinese take out rice.

It’s killer.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I found this, It’s from K Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen so it must be authentic. Paul Prudhomme was the Dean of Louisiana cooking.

https://www.copymethat.com/r/1I3CTxs4u/paul-prudhomme-crawfish-etouffee-recipe-/

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.