Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
.... still manages based on Biology. ESPECIALLY if they manage for maintaining and growing numbers of ungulates... Some thought and ACTION might be a good idea, before your bigger cities grow to be majority voting blocks and supersede common sense!

With the banning of this that and the other thing on the left coast, (hounds, cougar hunting, etc.) and with the efforts to reintroduce large predators like wolves and brown bears (in order to remove human hunters from the equation) you guys in states where the game department is still on your side might consider taking action NOW to prevent this kind of thing....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisd...state-wildlife-agencies/?sh=79eeac212d3d

I wish we had language in place for this kind of thing in WA here. The apartment dwellers and subdivision kingdoms have long since taken over wildlife management here in Washington. You guys who are still free and can buy hunting opportunity over the counter be forewarned.

Get language put into your legislation that gives management power to the biologists, rather than the voters!

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
GB4

C
C
This is an incredibly important topic for hunters and gun owners. Its good articles are being written. Unfortunately, state agency biologist are going to be come a rarer and rarer as the new batch of public scientist will have a ton of woke clowns. Not all of them but a lot will be total clowns.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Our DNR makes decisions based on revenue.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think TN is a constitutional right to hunt and fish state.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to manage deer for huntable numbers.
Now it's "Quality" ot The Environment".
[bleep]èrs aren't even consistent in their BS.

Total coincidence that almost every decision benifit$ some powerful lobby in this state.

Just like it's a coincidence that in-line manufacturers started advertising in or regulation book. 2 years before they created a season allowing in-lines.

Or, ads for crossbows appeared.
Being a damn genius, soothsayer, I forecast crossbows becoming legal. And they did.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My state is trying to do everything it can to minimalize Rifle hunting by allowing archery and muzzleloader hunters to preempt rifle season in Bucks, Does , and Bears

Last edited by moosemike; 10/01/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At the moment, I'm only concerned with OK and TX.
Both states have taken the initiative to pass legislation that protects hunting and fishing.
Probably wouldn't hurt to check and be certain it hasn't been amended or "blended" with something from the sinister left!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I think TN is a constitutional right to hunt and fish state.
As long as you buy all the proper licenses, permits, stamps, etc. and be mindful to obey all the everchanging regulations.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
MooseMike, I may not understand what you’re saying, you mean Rifle season is before bow and muzzle loader season in PA ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At the moment, I'm only concerned with OK and TX.
Both states have taken the initiative to pass legislation that protects hunting and fishing.
Probably wouldn't hurt to check and be certain it hasn't been amended or "blended" with something from the sinister left!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am surprised some animal rights wacko hasn't chimed in about the wholesale slaughter of the wild hog. After all just like wolves they are highly intelligent, live in family groups, and lovingly care for their young.

So far I haven't heard a word about protecting hogs, but the highly destructive horses and donkeys are stridently defended. As are wolves and lions.

There are white people braying like jack asses over the poor black livestock owners in Africa killing predators.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating the protection of feral swine.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Ours in Arkansas is based on politics. Fortunately we have lots of woods and water so they can't totally screw it up. The animals reproduce on their own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Angus55
MooseMike, I may not understand what you’re saying, you mean Rifle season is before bow and muzzle loader season in PA ?

Opposite. For archery.

He was a little off on muzzle loaders, we only get a crack at does before rifle.

Archery gets a good month before rifle season to kill deer.
And crossbows are legal.
They also get a bear season.

Muzzle loaders have been crapped on forever.
A season after Christmas, after a month of bow, 2 weeks of rifle.
Flintlock only, no optics, RB only until the early 2000s.

In-Line companies bought off the PGC, and they created a season for them. 1 week, late October. Does only.
It was created to sell guns and nothing else.

We still only get a chance to hunt bucks competing with modern guns, or after most have been killed. And we share our season with archers second 3 week season.

Sour grapes? Absolutely.

Flintlock has been my favorite hunting. I'd love to be able to hunt an early season for buck. With a flinter. .

I'd like to see a 3 week deer season.
Run what you brung.
Let everyone have the same crack.

Never happen, $$$, archery stamps are $17 and probably the best selling add on tag.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I know that Idaho is often accused of being revenue driven but you have to look at how they do things. For example, there are 2 late cow elk hunts near here. 2 yeas ago, each hunt had 2500 tags. This year, one hunt was reduced to 500 tags. The IDFG said that elk numbers had been too high for the capacity of the land so they thinned them out. When elk numbers reached their goal, they dropped the tags accordingly.
The other hunt was the same. Last year they dropped the tags from 2500 to 700. They said they'd reached their goals.
If they were strictly after the money, they sure wouldn't have dropped the tags so drastically.
When I was a kid, deer seasons were generally either sex. As hunter numbers grew, they had to make does draw hunts and eventually, most of the doe hunting is history now.
Resident tag prices are very reasonable, too. They're raised non-res prices, but what state hasn't? They haven't kept up with inflation, for sure.

Idaho had the additional problem of wolves being dumped on us. When wolves were delisted, the feds gave the IDFG orders to manage the wolves but no money to run a program. Idaho was able to sell tags, though. They kept the price way down, about $11 for a resident tag and around $30 for a non-resident. There's no limit on them as long as you have a tag for each wolf and seasons are year round in much of the state. They're cheap enough that many hunters buy 1 or more just in case. It generates some money to run the program.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When you have a biologist, they make decisions from their lazy Work-from-home climate controlled computer bubble.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Angus55

Opposite. For archery.

He was a little off on muzzle loaders, we only get a crack at does before rifle.

Archery gets a good month before rifle season to kill deer.
And crossbows are legal.
They also get a bear season.

Muzzle loaders have been crapped on forever.
A season after Christmas, after a month of bow, 2 weeks of rifle.
Flintlock only, no optics, RB only until the early 2000s.

In-Line companies bought off the PGC, and they created a season for them. 1 week, late October. Does only.
It was created to sell guns and nothing else.

We still only get a chance to hunt bucks competing with modern guns, or after most have been killed. And we share our season with archers second 3 week season.

Sour grapes? Absolutely.

Flintlock has been my favorite hunting. I'd love to be able to hunt an early season for buck. With a flinter. .

I'd like to see a 3 week deer season.
Run what you brung.
Let everyone have the same crack.

Never happen, $$$, archery stamps are $17 and probably the best selling add on tag.

It's even worse in KY. Archery deer season runs from September 2 to January 15. Modern gun season is a whopping 15 days in November.

If they could get away with it, they would probably make KY an archery only state. For some reason the KY Fish and Wildlife people are anti-gun.

Forgot to add, half of their public WMAs are 100% restricted from using modern gun as well. Bunch of Commies in charge.

Last edited by auk1124; 10/02/23.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Colorado fits into that picture. Management by revenue and politics.Gov Polis follows his liberal fans and pushed the wolf introduction and will more than likely push the ban on hunting cats.His appointments of the CPW Commissioners are pathetic.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by slumlord
When you have a biologist, they make decisions from their lazy Work-from-home climate controlled computer bubble.

Not all sir, I know some of ours and they spend countless hours in the field, not in their offices or homes. Hard to helicopter capture sheep from a computer, or do aerial counts.
Some of these states sounds depressing, glad we live in Wyoming.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our wildlife and fisheries in Louisiana does pretty well, overall, with the main exception being the re-introduction of the black bear in recent years. The general population was not allowed a say on this, as far as I know. A deer around here was already having to compete with the growing feral hog infestation and really did not need a new predator to worry with. Deer and duck hunters pay the bills around here, both with licenses and spending in the local economy. Putting the bear back in the game after a century of absence seems awfully short-sighted from the perspective of most hunters and landowners.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Our DNR makes decisions based on revenue.

This.

Yep.

Well, I nean, what state......?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,888
Posts18,479,129
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.