Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Don't go cheap, you'll spend more in the long run. Most of them never fit right, the zippers break etc. You ain't gonna find a business you agree with 100%. Buy what you want and don't worry about where they stand on issues. 99% of the time any other choice is just as bad, you just don't know it.

LLBean makes decent stuff. This is windproof, but less breathable.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/123...archTerm=fleece%20jacket%20men&pos=7

Another good one. Breathable

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/127...archTerm=fleece%20jacket%20men&pos=9

If you want a really light fleece jacket the Columbia jackets are good enough for the money. They aren't very warm, but not everyone needs a heavier jacket.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/columbia-steens-mountain-full-zip-fleece-20-jacket-for-men

REI carries good stuff and their prices are comparable. If you're a member you get 10% dividends back every spring. Spend $500 in the store in one year and you get $50 off anything the next year. Plus twice a year I get 20% off anything in the store. But their store brand stuff is spotty. I tried one of their fleece jackets and the fit wasn't right.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the zippers break
Zippers are the early demise of many items of clothing. If the zipper just separates, you can often fix it by simply squeezing the slide slightly with needle nose pliers. If the teeth start coming apart, it needs a new zipper. Often you can find a seamstress who does custom work who can replace it for a low fee. Getting a matching color is a big problem so you might have to be content with black.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Right now Costco has some decent ones, Orvis brand, for $20. You can get 3 of them for the price of one that will last twice as long.

^^^^^^^ This.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
the zippers break
Zippers are the early demise of many items of clothing. If the zipper just separates, you can often fix it by simply squeezing the slide slightly with needle nose pliers. If the teeth start coming apart, it needs a new zipper. Often you can find a seamstress who does custom work who can replace it for a low fee. Getting a matching color is a big problem so you might have to be content with black.

All very true. That’s why I purposely try to avoid zippers and prefer buttons.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm agreeing with Geno wool. Fleece is ok for around town! Camping, not with campfires. One big old tamarack ember hits, at the speed of light, and melts a hole in the coat. Observed this first hand. A nephew standing next to the fire, talking to his dad, an an ember about the size of a silver dollar, popped out and tagged the coat, heart shot. At least it self healed the edges 😎!!

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Andy3
Hello Dave. I have several different styles of this New Zealand fleece. It's really good stuff. It, being foreign, has the zipper on the wrong side.....and, the material weight is metric. 280 gsm is medium weight and 320 gsm is thicker. Size guide seems to be spot on. They charge is US dollars and shipping is really quick.

Decent prices and pro hunting (although the owner cant' keep is mouth shut about our ARs). Andy3

https://swazi.co.nz/collections/mens?limit=24

I might have picked a different name for this one haha https://swazi.co.nz/products/ophv?variant=43299359326393

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I may have to try that as Asbell wool... looks tempting..

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Andy3
Hello Dave. I have several different styles of this New Zealand fleece. It's really good stuff. It, being foreign, has the zipper on the wrong side.....and, the material weight is metric. 280 gsm is medium weight and 320 gsm is thicker. Size guide seems to be spot on. They charge is US dollars and shipping is really quick.

Decent prices and pro hunting (although the owner cant' keep is mouth shut about our ARs). Andy3

https://swazi.co.nz/collections/mens?limit=24

Swazi is great gear. I have a few pieces from them, including a fleece jacket from which I have had years of excellent service.

Another good Kiwi brand is Stoney Creek https://www.stoneycreek.co.nz . Between me and the family we have a fair bit of their gear too.

The Kiwis seem to make some of the best hunting/fishing clothing. Perhaps because of the weather they get there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Go wool, you'll never go back to that artificial stuff

https://asbellwool.com/t/pathfinder

Could be I'm retarded but couldn't easily track down the wool content or fabric weight on the site - any insight Pard?

Lined or straight wool?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a bunch of fleece jackets but the best one is from Mountain Hardwear. It has a windproof membrane but isn’t noisy. It also has pit zips so you can ventilate as you warm up to avoid perspiring. I have a Beretta branded jacket that is pretty much identical to the Mountain Hardwear except for the color and the label - I suspect they likely came off the same assembly line @ Mountain Hardwear.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Columbia.
After Columbia jumped on the bubba Wallace bandwagon when he found a noose in Talladega I will never buy another Columbia product.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like the Pendleton shirts and jackets.

Undershirt/thermal and a thick Pendleton Wool Shirt can get thru most cold conditions.

Toss a down sleeveless vest on top if it really gets cold with some wool gloves.

Last edited by FatCity67; 10/01/23.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Could be I'm retarded but couldn't easily track down the wool content or fabric weight on the site - any insight Pard?

Lined or straight wool?

You're not retarded. Seems the website has changed since I last was on it a few years back. I think they used to put the wool weight and makeup on the page if you clicked on a particular item. I poked around a bit and see that the Olive Drab Anorak is 29oz according to that individual page
We sew the Anorak with our heaviest 29 oz. wool,

I think another one of the Anoraks was sherpa lined as I was scrolling through some.

Last time I deal with them, years ago, it was easy enough to get answers by contacting them. They might still be that way. As I mentioned, I didn't want a hood, did want the zipper version, and Teresa fixed me up. I also bought a larger vest to keep in the pack and put over the jacket if the weather changed and it got colder.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right on, I'll drop them a line. Thank you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're welcome and good luck

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I like the Pendleton shirts and jackets.

Undershirt/thermal and a thick Pendleton Wool Shirt can get thru most cold conditions.

Toss a down sleeveless vest on top if it really gets cold with some wool gloves.
Is there another type of vest?
😂😂

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I hope Teresa keeps the company up and running after the passing of G. Fred earlier this year.

That was sad news for me. He was my inspiration for getting into traditional bowhunting back in the 1980's, and the best bowyer out there.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Toss a down sleeveless vest on top
Is there another type of vest?
😂😂
Pair it with some ass less chaps.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fleece jackets need a poly liner to get on and off without turning them inside out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

377 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,394
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.