Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18807523 10/01/23
D
Deans Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Those of you that shoot or have shot off shooting sticks, tripods, etc. How/what do you do to eliminate or bring wobble to a minimum?

Thanks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brace your strong side elbow......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm always surprised how accurately I can shoot off of sticks. If you place your feet a little more than shoulder width apart and sort of lean into the sticks it helps and also if you can support your elbow it makes a big difference.
Of course with trigger control you only squeeze when you are wobbling towards where you want to shoot. Practicing offhand helps.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 10/01/23.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Bingo. I have used my PH's shoulder and, most recently, a backpack on a Kansas mule deer. A world of difference.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I usually use sticks from a sitting position. If possible, I'll lean back against a tree or other solid object. Side-to-side wobble goes away.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly what Buckstopper and Hunts said. If available, I also lean against a tree, fencepost, rock, etc.. A frame-pack works great too, when propped under an elbow. When leaned against something and an elbow propped, its almost bench-like for stability. I'll often use my right knee to brace my right elbow. Practice with them and you'll find what works for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I take advantage of any available rifle support but don't go out of my way to carry in a support of any type other than a walking stick, sometimes.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm just the opposite. I 'go out of my way' to always have a set of sticks on me, and if a better rest is available, I'll 'go outta my way' to go over there and use it.....

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I carry long enough to use as a third balance point crossed fiberglass electric fence stays held together by castration bands. You might guess where my supplies come from…

They are long enough to use kneeling too over tall prairie grass.

Sitting against a tree Bush or post and good practiced technique yields very solid field positions for me. All rifle shooting uses the same base skill tools to shoot well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Deans
Those of you that shoot or have shot off shooting sticks, tripods, etc. How/what do you do to eliminate or bring wobble to a minimum?

Thanks

If you are seated. Use your pack to fill the void between your torso and legs.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Buy a reasonably accurate pellet rifle, learn to shoot offhand for score so you can track your progress....and throw away the crutches.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Buy a reasonably accurate pellet rifle, learn to shoot offhand for score so you can track your progress....and throw away the crutches.

You shoot offhand at 300+ yards? Or are "crutches" Ok at those distances?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Get comfortable, get steady and practice. Nothing helps better than practice. Personally I'd rather shoot from the sitting position, than mess with sticks. But to each their own. Especially when hunting. Sometimes you don't get a lot of time to prepare for the shot, so you make it happen.

Not too many of you shot in the Carl Ross positional match here, but if you look at some of those targets, some of the guys shot better in the sitting position, than they did sitting and using sticks. I was one of them. That was also a timed event, that more closely replicated hunting shots, in field positions.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Good advice. I often wonder how many of these guys grew up shooting stuff like running jackrabbits. Did that every day, when I was young. Nothing like actual field shooting on critters. Maybe some grew up shooting hogs or varmints, but shooting from the hind legs seems to be a dying sport man.

There's no replacement for good practice. Then when you go out in the deer, elk fields, the hard part is finding the critter. Not making/taking the shot. That's the easy part.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Put the end of the forearm on the sticks. This moves the pivot point as far forward as possible, minimizing muzzle movement. Also stand more square to the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
. Not too many of you shot in the Carl Ross positional match here

You're right, I didn't shoot in that match. But I did lay in the dirt next to Carl at the first Icebreaker I went to. Had a 'hunters comp' after two days of banging steel next to him. The comp was a 200 yd offhand gong, next two were off shooting sticks or sitting, further out. Last gongs you were able to go prone, as far as the steel was.. You were allowed 2 shots at each gong, first round hit worth 2 points and if you needed your second, it was worth 1. Only two shooters out of 30+, hit the offhand gong on first shot. Carl, and me. Mine was luck....grin There were a whole bunch of guys who couldn't hit offhand, off of sticks, OR from the sitting. But you get them guys prone off a bipod, they didn't miss much. But falling behind on those first three gongs, put them back far enough they couldn't recoup the points to win. I was winning the thing most of the way thru, till Carl and his buddy knocked the throne out from under me, for third place......

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Bingo. I have used my PH's shoulder and, most recently, a backpack on a Kansas mule deer. A world of difference.

Backpack result. SML.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I"m quite certain the OP was specifically talking about standing shots off of sticks. Lot's of places I've hunted has grass, brush etc too high to take a sitting shot so standing is the only option. As mentioned, the key to me is to somehow brace my shooting elbow on something if possible. I've even stood a little more sideways off the sticks and rested my elbow on my AGC bino harness. Works like a champ.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My mule deer was kneeling.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Backpack result. SML.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thats a Dandy Ed!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.