Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
So finally getting time to shoot my Kimber 84L here soon. Wanted to get tips on how to shoot lightweight rifles from the bench? Any special tips on rests or how to hold one for best results? Any help appreciated
Thanks

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
First step I’d say is tune that trigger to as light as you feel comfortable and safe with.

Only change I make when shooting my Kimbers is I tend to hold the forend of the stock while on the bench, unlike with a heavier rifle where my left hand will be squeezing the rear bag.

Practice from your field positions and off your pack if you intend to do so in the field. Any flaw in your shooting will be magnified with a lighter rifle.

Congrats on your new Kimber. What did you get?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bench isn't too hard.
Wait until you try an off hand shot.
T3 is my lightest rifle, 6.5 Swede. It's sweet, nothing much to dislike.

Except i shoot every rifle i own better. The rifle itself is accurate, I can kinda shoot well. The system sucks, and I don't hunt it much.
Have actually considered epoxying a few ounces on lead into the stock.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jeffrey is spot on. Shoot it like a double rifle off the bench, hold it!

Letting them bounce produces some pretty interesting disappointments until you tell the victim how it is done🤣

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deer has some very good tips on how to do it. Maybe he'll ring in. Once you get your load development done and decide on your pet load, shoot it off the bench as you envision shooting it in the field. If you are going to shoot off a backpack in the field, try that on the bench. Pressure points can matter with lightweights.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I also hold the forearm when I shoot off a bench. Made a noticeable difference in group size. Additionally I try to be very consistent on “cheek weld” , how I grip the wrist of the stock and how I shoulder the stock. In short I try to pay more attention to shooting fundamentals than typically seems necessary with heavier hunting rifles.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Concentrate on pulling the trigger STRAIGHT back without torquing it at all. Pad of your trigger finger against the full-face of the trigger-shoe.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jedgreen
So finally getting time to shoot my Kimber 84L here soon. Wanted to get tips on how to shoot lightweight rifles from the bench? Any special tips on rests or how to hold one for best results? Any help appreciated
Thanks

How light is it? A kimber 84L in 30-06 weighs in at 6 pounds 2 oz's. As a comparison, the Tikka superlite creed weighs 5.9 pounds. I've never considered that too light to shoot accurately. No special tricks needed either. Lack of practice and poor technique is probably the real reason some have issues shooting a "lightweight" rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What made a lot of difference reducing the group size of my 7# 7mm-08 was when I moved the front bag back several inches closer to the receiver.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
For the field, use a sling in the sitting position.

Old guy, old guns.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't drag/kiss a swivel stud,either fore or aft. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mark v ultra light 06. I hold on to the forearm stock a little on the bench. Of sticks or offhand, I just shoot it. Dang gun shoots awesome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good advice here so far with fundamentals, sling studs, etc. I also put a soft towel on the front rest. The left hand goes on the forearm too. I see some guys put that hand on the forearm and overlap the barrel, or use it to hold the back bag, or even put in on top of the scope. Those placements always seem to make things worse and are not going to be replicated in the field.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Make double sure your sling stud is not being interfered with by the bag or rest. When I go for serious shooting sessions, I simply remove them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by jedgreen
Thanks

How light is it? A kimber 84L in 30-06 weighs in at 6 pounds 2 oz's. As a comparison, the Tikka superlite creed weighs 5.9 pounds. I've never considered that too light to shoot accurately. No special tricks needed either. Lack of practice and poor technique is probably the real reason some have issues shooting a "lightweight" rifle.
Did you just pick the first weight that came up on Google when searching for Kimber 84L weight? That search, by the way, is for an 84L Classic. A Kimber Montana 84L is lighter than a Tikka Superlite.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Don't drag/kiss a swivel stud,either fore or aft. Hint.................

Hold the fore-end and pull the front sling swivel. The bigger the caliber the more you'll have to figure how much grip and rearward pressure it takes to manage. I default to strong rearward pull with shooting hand and tight grip and mild rearward pressure with the support hand, but the harder the gun kicks the more rearward pull you'll need with both hands

I don't bother to shoot lightweight/hard kicking rifles off a bench anymore...they often shoot differently from field positions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick, I knew you could do it. “Don’t drag/kiss a swivel stud, either fore or aft. Hint………….” Provide a nice concise civil answer without being crude or referring to genitalia. Congratulations. smile

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dumbfall,

You are sucking the wrong ass and your Man Lust Fantasies are misfocused...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I build Boomers slickshod,with flush cups. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Load the trigger then break it.
Keep similar pressure with your cheek and shoulder.
Dry fire and watch the reticle on the target to see if it’s moving.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
On a non-rushed shot, I hold at the front of the fore end with my index finger wrapped over the barrel. This limits barrel rise and controls recoil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 76 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,894
Posts18,479,213
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.