Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I was up at my Buddy's house a couple weeks ago. He pulled out a couple rifles which had belonged to his wife's Granddads. One was an Eddystone with a sporter stock and original GI sights. 30-06 of course.

But the other one: Okay, it's a Mauser 98 in 30-06, cool. Then I saw BRNO scribed in the action. My eyebrows lifted a bit. It had no strip feeder slot, so I suppose it must be post war. This is not my area of expertise.

It had a pretty nice walnut stock, and was fitted with a scope of some kind. Probably from the fifties or early sixties.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on it, check the bore, and see how she shoots. And grab a couple pics.

It is a family heirloom, so no way he will ever part with it. Its actual value is of no interest to him

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I was up at my Buddy's house a couple weeks ago. He pulled out a couple rifles which had belonged to his wife's Granddads. One was an Eddystone with a sporter stock and original GI sights. 30-06 of course.

But the other one: Okay, it's a Mauser 98 in 30-06, cool. Then I saw BRNO scribed in the action. My eyebrows lifted a bit. It had no strip feeder slot, so I suppose it must be post war. This is not my area of expertise.

It had a pretty nice walnut stock, and was fitted with a scope of some kind. Probably from the fifties or early sixties.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on it, check the bore, and see how she shoots. And grab a couple pics.

It is a family heirloom, so no way he will ever part with it. Its actual value is of no interest to him

Sounds like the Brno might be one of the CZ commercial actions. If from the 50s or 60s, the possibilities are a M21, M22 or a ZG47. And as you already suspect, all very desirable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can add me to the list, I don’t know what he’s got either…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
LOL my first thought after reading was that the OP doesn't know what his friend has either... and neither do we!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thou shall not covet thy neighbors rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by shrapnel
LOL my first thought after reading was that the OP doesn't know what his friend has either... and neither do we!
You are correct, I do not know yet. I will get back up there and investigate further.

I only know it is a very nice rifle and I suspect quite desirable, even if not valuable.

We were doing so much that day, beginning with a rebuild of the carb on my quad. It was only a cursory look at this Mauser.

Question? Were BRNOs ever built in Belgium? If so when?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This post reads like

"my wife has been real sick so i took her to be doctor to be checked out"
With no further commentary
🤷

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
It is a two hour drive each way to get another look at the rifle. When I have more information, I will share it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
It is a two hour drive each way to get another look at the rifle. When I have more information, I will share it.
24 hours in a day!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Question? Were BRNOs ever built in Belgium? If so when?[/quote]

No Brnos were made in the Brno factory.

Find out if it has a round top or if it has dual dovetails on the top of the action. That can give us a hint of its age. Better yet. Take a picture.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buddy doesn’t have a camera on his phone?

Brno is a city in the Czech Republic, and that is where the factory is located.

Last edited by gregintenn; 10/11/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 338Rules, 16penny, 450yukon, 22 invisible), 1,743 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,048
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.