-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Couple years ago, I bought a used tractor and it came with a front end loader and 6' bushhog. Noticed the clutch was slipping a little, but figured I could adjust it. I was wrong! I dont have a shop set up to break a tractor apart, so I got a friend that works on tractors on days he's not at his job, to change the clutch for me. Gonna cost me, but not nearly as much as a dealer.

But that aint all.....

Tractor has power steering, but not like any I've seen before. Instead of having hyd. cylinder(s) on the steering arm(s), this tractor has a cylinder assembly that sits crossways just behind the front axle. No hyd. lines running to the steering sector. Anyway, while bushhogging last week, the steering hung up, while turning left and climbing up out of a ditch. I rocked the tractor back and forth and finally the steering unlocked, but then I had about 1 1/4 turns of slack in the steering wheel. Ok, steering sector gone bad.

A friend has a 3600 he is parting out, and online it says the steering sectors are the same. So I pulled the one off his tractor, but when I took it to the shop, they are not the same. Fellow that is putting in the clutch had the covers off my tractor and I got a good look at the steering sector. Come to find out, it has the same steering sector as my old tractor that doesn't have power steering. So today I pulled the one off my old tractor.

When the other parts come in, hopefully today, I should have everything needed to put the tractor back together. If everything goes smoothly, we can put the tractor back together in a day.

It's been a pain in the wazoo, but it's still a whole lot cheaper than a new tractor. Besides, all I do is a little bushhogging around the place and disking for the garden.

Last edited by Oldman03; 10/03/23.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Old tractors. Work them an hour and work on them eight hours. BTDT

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fortune has been with me this season as far as breakdowns after I shelled out a water pump that turned into a nightmare in the shop and emptied the wallet on the repair... (About $5k to get fixed)

After that fiasco, I took it right down to my New Holland dealer and traded it in on a 75hp New Holland. Trouble free with everything since. Been running hard all summer with them.

Now if my cutters will just keep holding up. wink

Hope you get that lined out, Randy. It seems like once you get the major stuff working, you will be GTG for many more hours.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore

But the thing about old tractors is that most anyone with an adjustable wrench a pair of vice grips can work on them. New tractors, that's an entirely different subject.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You wouldn't think a clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and a release bearing (throw out bearing) would be a problem, but it's turned into a nightmare. Ordered parts thru NH dealer and whoever sent the wrong bearings and clutch. Dealer spent 2 hrs on computer and phone, trying to find the right parts. Finally found the right clutch, but no luck with the bearings. I'm headed to a bearing place tomorrow, taking the old bearings with me, and let them have at it.

But on the bright side, the steering sector from my old tractor, fit like a glove. Saved a few hundred right there.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Parts are a nightmare all over... frown

Even for current model tractors.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
How 'bout ole 'Tractor Joe' for parts ?

https://www.tractorjoe.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of 'Tractor Joe', but I looked up the throw out bearing and what was listed is not what I got. And, what I got is a OEM bearing. No numbers on it, but it does have FoMoCo stamped on the race. Also, they don't list a 13" clutch for my tractor.

Thanks for the site. Next time they might have what I need.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by saddlesore

But the thing about old tractors is that most anyone with an adjustable wrench a pair of vice grips can work on them. New tractors, that's an entirely different subject.

Indeed, but the last one, I was changing out a starter in10 degree weather and no heated barn

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So..... after finally finding the right clutch in Ga. and finding the pilot bearing in La., I'm found out I'll have to use the old throw-out bearing. After going to 4 places looking for the bearing, I was told that it is a Ford product and no one else uses it. It's not in bad shape, I just hate not putting in a new one, while replacing the clutch.

Anyway, the steering is fixed and by tomorrow afternoon, everything should be put back together.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like my old tractors.

But there's days that a new compact really temps me.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It beats walking behind a team of mules.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It beats walking behind a team of mules.
That's for sure

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel for you Randy. My lift arms quit on my 150 Massey day before yesterday. Have not looked for the problem yet except to check the fluid. It was low, so maybe that is it. Usually not that easy for me. smile Good luck. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Moved my Massey to burn a brush pile yesterday, and the lift arms worked. Enough oil must have drained down to make them lift, as I put no oil in before I moved it. I have oil to put in before I use it again. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,672
Posts18,493,799
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.