Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Although I am not a graduate of the Point, I have a lot of friends that have gone through that hallowed institution, and the others - Annapolis and the Air Force. Having produced unparalleled leaders that have kept the world safe for democracy, it is obvious that the current Demoncrats/Communists have other plans. If you have not read the following article from the Thinker, please take a few moments and read it:
https://www.americanthinker.com/blo..._for_a_country_youre_taught_to_hate.html

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I served with many West Pointers over my 27 year career. Only a few of them impressed me. One, my medical company commander, went full-on code red ala CiK, on a dependent at the front gate of our base. Apparently she had never had a pistol pointed at her face before and certainly didn't appreciate having one in her face that day. She couldn't find her ID card.

Medics bury their mistakes..
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Served with alot also.
Some outstanding.
Some avg
Some fuuking horrible.
Have a feeling alot of the horrible ones were congressmen selected ones from their districts.

Have had several Joe's that got accepted to the prep school and gained admission from that option also.

Is what it is .
West Point.

A cross section from all walks of life .
Just like the rest of the military.

Box of chocolates kinda thing.

Last edited by renegade50; 10/02/23.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know why you are disappointed...it's just another college, that perhaps discourages thinking outside the box more than other colleges. The freshman West Pointers assigned for summer camp/show and tell, in my Engineer Construction Battalion 55 yrs or more ago didn't seem to impress our unit leaders very favorably.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well the Airforce Academy graduated Gen. Wesley Clark. He was and remains one of the most woke generals America ever had. Bradley and most of the high command that graduated West point were country club generals including Eisenhower. Admiral King graduated Annapolis and was reprimanded by Admiral McVay Sr. His son commanded the USS Indianapolis and Charles McVay III was court-martialed at the bidding of Admiral king and his subordinates unnecessarily. Even Admiral Nimitz fought against it to no avail. There has been a lot of chicanery since the commission of those academies. Good men and bad men have been graduated. Men are not angles and make great mistakes sometimes.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rainshot
Well the Airforce Academy graduated Gen. Wesley Clark. He was and remains one of the most woke generals America ever had. Bradley and most of the high command that graduated West point were country club generals including Eisenhower. Admiral King graduated Annapolis and was reprimanded by Admiral McVay Sr. His son commanded the USS Indianapolis and Charles McVay III was court-martialed at the bidding of Admiral king and his subordinates unnecessarily. Even Admiral Nimitz fought against it to no avail. There has been a lot of chicanery since the commission of those academies. Good men and bad men have been graduated. Men are not angles and make great mistakes sometimes.

Wesley Clark and the Air Force Academy? Don't think so. Met him several times at Aviano Air Base during the Kosovo bombings. It was obvious he was using that conflict to make a name for himself.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sorry for the mistake but he still is woke and leftist.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no experience with West Pointers but I knew quite a few Navy Academy grads in my 25 year career. Most of them were not worth a damn. The best officers were the direct commission guys and the Mustang officers. Academy grads were a bunch of spoiled children in my experience.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
a good friends son graduated from there, is a ranger and trying to become Delta

dad was telling me a few years back they appointed a woman commander and you noticed a change for the worse immediately.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Had an AA maintenance supervisor in the mid '90s that was West Point grad, mechanical engineer. He didn't even know what a drill was. GM got rid of him after six months, heard he was working for a mens' underwear manufacturer after he left.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a backstage tour of West Point when my buddy's son went there. Fascinating history and beautiful campus on the Hudson. Too bad about the woke bs. Seems it's everywhere now.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's Beautiful Man!, It's Beautiful:

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The book “The Mosquito Bowl” follows the players in a football game between two Regiments of Marines on Guadalcanal in December of 1945. Where they came from and in many cases, the eventual demise in combat of many on the field

Back in the ‘40’s there were close similarities between college and professional football players, and many willingly set their careers aside to join up. Thus more than a few of these nationally ranked college and professional athletes ended up as officers in the Marines awaiting combat on Guadalcanal. So the Mosquito Bowl wasn’t just an ordinary scratch game.

How this relates to this thread is the author makes a point of comparing the sacrifice of these guy to others who purposely avoided combat be getting onto the West Point football team.

I got family members who are career civilian employees at West Point. From what I understand political correctness has been around for a while already. What has always impressed me tho is the support West Point gives to their Engineering students struggling with the material. Compared to that most colleges I am aware of would just hang ‘em out to dry.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The service academies are where promising young ass-kissers learn to pucker up just right to make their lips an exact fit to the butt crack of the next guy up the chain of command. It's how anybody above about O-4 progresses up the food chain.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I served with a lot of ring knockers. A couple of them were okay but most would put it your back in a heartbeat. One of them went on to lead the American Legion. He was okay with me but put it in the back of a fellow officer.

The good ones were prior service that went to the USMA Prep school. I didn't know many that went that route. That offer was put in front of me but I didn't want to spend eleven years in the military at that time. I went to OCS several years later after college and received my commission.

Last edited by EIB0879; 10/03/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I found Academy guys to always feel they were entitled. Maybe because they really were. I had a performance review once where I was rated two steps below the top. That was a career killer. My superior officer told me to my face that he had down-rated me because I wasn't an Academy grad and therefore had no chance at a career anyway.

I was commissioned the hard way: ROTC. (If you don't think ROTC in the late 60s was the hard way, you do not know history.) I served a full career by resigning from active duty but staying in the Reserves. It meant I would never fly again, but it was still the best career decision of my life.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from archive.ph]

[Linked Image from usatoday.com]

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I found Academy guys to always feel they were entitled.

I went through IMPC (Infantry Mortar Platoon Course) with a bunch of ring knockers that had just come off of their first two years and were newly minted 1LTs as I was. The arrogance was very obvious. That soon dissipated (some)when they realized that a lot of NCOs in the class had been 11Cs for a long time and some like me were 11C when we were enlisted.

I made the mistake of making friends with one and then pissing him off when he realized I wasn't playing the game. Got the silent treatment from all of them for the rest of the course.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Worked with, worked for and supervised USAFA grads. Like other said, spanned the range from superstars to sh**birds (a couple Court Marshalls and Article 15's in the mix). I worked for a USMA graduate on a deployment. Decent guy who tried to do the best for his people in a bad situation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I found Academy guys to always feel they were entitled. Maybe because they really were. I had a performance review once where I was rated two steps below the top. That was a career killer. My superior officer told me to my face that he had down-rated me because I wasn't an Academy grad and therefore had no chance at a career anyway.

I was commissioned the hard way: ROTC. (If you don't think ROTC in the late 60s was the hard way, you do not know history.) I served a full career by resigning from active duty but staying in the Reserves. It meant I would never fly again, but it was still the best career decision of my life.
that guy was an a-hole . I assume he did that to protect the ring knockers from you competing with them for rank .I know they stick togther .I was an enlisted man in the Army .we could always tell the officers from West Point ,from the ROTC ,OCS, or Mavericks . every one of the W.P ones was A-holes who thought we enlisted was scum,and let us know it and treated us as such .were as most of the other type officers did not

Last edited by rem shooter; 10/03/23.

NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,116
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.