Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RIO7
I see your point about being able to use either site, if you have the right iron site's, i'm just not willing to change a gun i really like that shoots well for me the way it is. Rio7

Rio7

If you have a gun that works well for you, and you are satisfied with your performance then roll with it. I carry guns with both iron sights as well as RDO equipped ones. It is not a big deal. Some guns, I simply do not want to cut/have milled for an RDO for various reasons. Some, like Glocks, I don't really care about it if they get cut.

Both work fine, though as I get older I have found that for distance shooting I am far more accurate/precise with an RDO due to my eyes not being able to see a front sight as clearly as I once did.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by K1500
Damn! How in the world did we drive cars before disc brakes, fuel injection, and air conditioning!?
Disk brakes are a better engineering design.
Fuel injection is an added complexity that is sensitive to dirt and is hard to troubleshoot. Whereas cleaning a carb is pretty straightforward.
Air conditioning fails and apart from automatic transmissions, is the most expensive repair.

After nuclear EMP, will our modern cars run? If supplies are disrupted, can you repair your car?

A handgun is a defensive weapon - not an extension of a video game. The KISS principle reigns supreme.

Put whatever you want on your toy.

Yer still packin' a revolver and drivin' a CJ5, eh? Good for you.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took one of my most familiar platforms I've been shooting for years and had it cut for a 407k. The transition was pretty much non-existent, and I've not had any problem with daily carry or range work. Change the battery yearly and no worries.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
McKay, I think a lot of this depends how you normally use your hand gun, 99% my hand gun use is to dispatch downed critters at close range 10 yards or closer, I have shot a few critters that were not down or wounded a fairly close range under 40-50 yards, as far as being able to see the sites I have no problem there I see 20-20 very clearly.

There are no big bad Bears in S.Texas within 250 miles of here, and the Bears that are that close are small brown bears, we have some large antlered or horned critters that can be aggressive, but when dealing them common sense prevails I carry a rifle. Rio7

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
RIO,

You have a system that obviously works for you. I would not change a thing.

The Glock 22 I referenced earlier:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When using the RDO is capable is excellent accuracy with its chosen load, which is a hot 170 grain poly coated SWC at 1200 FPS.

The thing is that I just cannot shoot very small groups like the ones shown above when using strictly iron sights. With a good rest and a red dot there is no doubt the advantage goes to the RDO.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This is a good example.

Both of these types of ammo, I am pretty sure are equally as accurate.

One is a 240 grain hard cast semi wadcutter .44 magnum shot by the iron sighted Model 629.

The other is a 270 grain hard cast semi wadcutter .45 Colt shot by the RDO equipped Blackhawk.

Both shot at 15 yards. over bags.

The one shot out with the .45 Colt is all me. I just tend to do that.

No doubt about it, the RDO makes shooting tight groups far easier.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I see no disadvantage to a RDO, at any distance. I see a clear advantage to using a RDO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
I see no disadvantage to a RDO, at any distance. I see a clear advantage to using a RDO
It's something else that can potentially go wrong at the worst possible time.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You're saying thr same thing that people said about scopes on rifles when I was young.
Scopes now are the preferred sighting system

I see no down side, because the irons are still usable

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You're saying thr same thing that people said about scopes on rifles when I was young.
Scopes now are the preferred sighting system

I see no down side, because the irons are still usable
If your motor memory is to look for that dot, on the day it's not there you will reflexively just keep looking for it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I saw it as a longer range solution for a shorter range platform. Yes, the RMR on my 1911 enabled me to shoot tighter groups, but my handguns and especially my CCW size handguns are not hunting guns. Defensive distance is feet, not yards and I found looking for that red dot took more time and practice for muscle memory than I wanted to devote to it. I saw it as one more bulbous thing sticking up on the top a handgun to snag on clothing.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm convinced that the frenzy to mount a red dot on concealed carry (defensive) handguns is mainly driven by a desire on the part of the industry to sell them. There's money in it, and therefore money is made available to those who are willing to promote and popularize the idea.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Convincingly said by someone who never put in the effort to actually use one and get proficient with it.

Learning to shoot with a red dot will make you a better shooter.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
This is a good example.

Both of these types of ammo, I am pretty sure are equally as accurate.

One is a 240 grain hard cast semi wadcutter .44 magnum shot by the iron sighted Model 629.

The other is a 270 grain hard cast semi wadcutter .45 Colt shot by the RDO equipped Blackhawk.

Both shot at 15 yards. over bags.

The one shot out with the .45 Colt is all me. I just tend to do that.

No doubt about it, the RDO makes shooting tight groups far easier.

On that last bull, it appears to me that you only have ONE good shot (on the X) and five that you pulled low….😁

Last edited by navlav8r; 09/25/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Convincingly said.
Thanks.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s your problem, you operate with half the info and think you know what your talking about.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When you can’t see iron sights accurately with the naked eye but you can see a red dot easily, then there isn’t much debate unless you think the bad guy is going to wait for you to put your glasses on (if you can find them)

I wear readers to read but don’t need glasses to see past 3 feet, the red dot has changed the game
For me

Last edited by DAMARA; 10/03/23.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.