-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
40 F below is nothing new, even in the lower 48 though it generally doesn’t last as long down in Montana/Dakotas as it does in the interior. I worry more about my vehicle not restarting when I can’t get it plugged in, than I do about myself being out in the elements. I keep a good stash of food and cold weather clothing/sleeping bag in my vehicle.

To answer the OP’s question though, I pretty much always have my Garmin InReach on me, as well as a Kifaru Lost Park Parka in my pack.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hotel Reservation.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A rifle.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Compass

RAVENS & WOLVES
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So far, down in southeast, my chest waders and my wool halibut jacket have been pretty hard to leave behind. They keep me warm and dry so I can keep using my most important tool - my mind.

I appreciate y'alls input on this. It's fun to hear what your essentials are.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll give up a lot of creature comforts but not My Pillow. whistle

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My beautiful Headlamp, I am afraid of the dark, especially in Grizz country smile

Really helps with skinning deer and moose in the dark too!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/03/23.

KB

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In Grizz country I’m afraid of them in the daylight so a headlamp would be least if my worries.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you ever gutted and skinned a moose in the dark alone, you would understand. cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/03/23.

KB

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you cant build a fire, yer gona be damn cold quick....

Even in the summer, its raining you get wet, yer screwed.

Fire trumps everything in terms of survival.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by johnn
If you cant build a fire, yer gona be damn cold quick....

Even in the summer, its raining you get wet, yer screwed.

Fire trumps everything in terms of survival.

Absolutely!

I always carry at least 2 different ways to start fire and 2 knives. When I’m in the backcountry I take 2 different ways to figure out where the hell I am and when I carry a compass I always have 2 so that means I carry 1 GPS and 2 compass in remote country.

Fire is VERY important.

ETA….1 knife is my Bowen belt buckle knife that goes everywhere I go since it keeps my pants up. 😀

Last edited by AcesNeights; 10/03/23.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman
40 F below is nothing new, even in the lower 48 though it generally doesn’t last as long down in Montana/Dakotas as it does in the interior. I worry more about my vehicle not restarting when I can’t get it plugged in, than I do about myself being out in the elements. I keep a good stash of food and cold weather clothing/sleeping bag in my vehicle.

To answer the OP’s question though, I pretty much always have my Garmin InReach on me, as well as a Kifaru Lost Park Parka in my pack.

The LPP might be my favorite piece of gear these days.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 907brass
So far, down in southeast, my chest waders and my wool halibut jacket have been pretty hard to leave behind. They keep me warm and dry so I can keep using my most important tool - my mind.

Much better than my wool halibut jacket are my Asbell wool pullovers. The deer hunting garment of choice!

https://asbellwool.com/t/pathfinder

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From years of reading and listening/"listening" on this subject, I thought that the powers that rule on such issues had long ago decided that the answer was a knife. Everything from performing personal hygiene matters such as brushing one's teeth to wiping his rear through building a log cabin and raising crops to slaying mastodons could be accomplished with a knife.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 907brass
Especially asking you old fogies, for your adventures/life/hunts in Alaska, what have you found to be the most important/indispensable piece of gear to have with you? What's your go-to, don't want to be without it/without one?
For me, it’s determined by the activity, location, and duration.

No one size fits all, IMO.

^^THIS^^

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Yep. A sound mind is the most important tool, almost every time.

^^BUT DEFINITELY THIS^^

Ditto.

I have been amazed a few times when I hear of how foolishly people have thought and acted when in difficult outdoor situations. Some of those people had decent gear, just didn't use it or use it with brain in gear. Some of those have been first hand accounts from people I know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To those saying fire….I am not so sure I agree, in a general sense. In Mainer_in_AKs’ particular story it makes total sense, but in regular hunting situations I disagree. I do carry fire starter no doubt but I can’t think of a single time I have built a fire in Alaska, other than when frying up a grouse or fish: never for a warming fire. I have never been in the need before I guess even when trapping at -40F or on two week moose hunts in constant rain. With the right equipment and right mindset I have never felt vulnerable without a fire.

I built a warming fire once in Montana at -20F while elk hunting and all that did was melt adjacent snow and get anything nearby wet, to include my pant knees and pack, which then refroze instantly once I backed away which made things even worse. That was a learning experience….

Building and tending to a fire is a lot of work and once I finally drag my ass back to camp all I want to do is go to sleep. I usually take my rain gear off and crawl in the sleeping bag with wet cloths on…they’ll usually be dry come morning. The last thing I want to do is tend a fire outside of my sleeping bag and tent. I do have a Kifaru tent stove but have never used it.

Others may feel different but this is how I do things and have never seen a reason to change.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I am hunting with the tp w/stove by boat, (which is how we moose hunt) I bring compressed wood bricks and a blow torch to heat the tp. No way I am going to expend time/energy gathering firewood and starting a fire. Glamping.. Ha! It is nice to dry stuff off in the tp at night. Not exactly a backpack trip though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been hunting Alaska solo since the mid 80's and have never made a fire, neither at base camp nor spike camp out in the field, just wasted time and energy to tend a fire

However, I do carry lighters and a survival kit, for emergencies only, have never seen the need to make a fire at camp, usually too late in the night and too tired to screw around with a fire

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
We had a child with us on a remote burbot fishing trip in -30 temps, and we needed to get her in the woods and build her a warming fire. It had been a wet fall, and the wood froze wet. We tried three different fire starters to get it going. In the end, it was the Vaseline soaked cotton balls that worked. So, in that case, it was the Vaseline, cotton balls, 35mm film canister they were stowed in, and a Bic lighter that saved the day.

NRA Life Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Much better than my wool halibut jacket are my Asbell wool pullovers. The deer hunting garment of choice!

https://asbellwool.com/t/pathfinder

These look nice! I'll definitely try one. I'm always between medium and large, do they fit pretty roomy or do they run smaller?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.