Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some searching has turned up a couple of trailers that can be towed by a dirt bike. Most are way more expensive and overbuilt for what I am wanting, so I thought I'd ask here how you guys have used dirt bikes to get deer out of the woods?

I've boned/quartered them up, but them in a backpack and rode out. Up until last year I used the SXS, but it went away to put a down payment on a house. So, now I have a dirt bike and am pondering ways to use it to drag a couple of deer/year out of the woods.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That sounds like a pain in the ass

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
That sounds like a pain in the ass

That is what I was thinking, but if I had to do it I think this is what I would use. But with a deer.

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sounds like a good way to get hurt.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Here is a guy doing it, but I think it would be better on a sled. Still not ideal with a motorcycle. I have a four wheeler that makes it super simple on a rack or with a trailer behind.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I suggest a couple young kids, even if they do not hunt.
The one problem with any dirt bike, atv, utv is the future rut/gulley that may, or may not start where your tires track, especially if you do any spinning.
Timber ground void of leaves/weeds/grass ect, washes extremely easy, and it only takes 1 thunderstorm to start it, and at that point there is no turning back.
Just my opinion.
Good luck

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sure it works, but it depends on the surface conditions. One year I pulled a 6 and an 8 point out to the main road with a two stroke 60cc Yamaha Mini Enduro. That was down a grass covered logging trail. On those I just tied the antlers high up behind the seat and pulled in first gear. That little bike spent a lot of those pulls on it's back wheel and my feet were on the ground most of the time to steady the bike. The 8 point punched the back of the seat full of holes. I think that my street legal knobby tired Honda CT110 in low range would do a better job, but I'd have the deer on a sled to slide easier and keep the dirt off the deer. In mud or snow that narrow back tire would just dig in and spin. Most every deer and bear retrieve since has been a two wheel drive Rokon retrieve on a sled or over the back and I just drove out of the woods to the trailer. If I hunted in an area where there were other hunters, I wouldn't use a motorized vehicle.

I do remember seeing a You Tube video of two guys in Australia or New Zealand that used Honda "Posties" they call the CT90's or 110's over there to take out deer like a back pack. They tied the front legs together and tied the back legs together and sat the deer vertically behind them with the legs tied around the driver. That might work if a guy was strong enough to lift the deer up onto the seat. Probably why there were two guys in that video. A sled would sure work easier for one guy.

Last edited by Windfall; 10/04/23.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Longbob
That is what I was thinking, but if I had to do it I think this is what I would use. But with a deer.
]

What are we calling a dirtbike? Is it a real one or some sportsmans warehouse wannbe Rokon? Type of ground is really going to play a big part in it too.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
]

What are we calling a dirtbike? Is it a real one or some sportsmans warehouse wannbe Rokon? Type of ground is really going to play a big part in it too.

I am not the OP. I don't know what he has.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
]

CR500 with a Bill's Pipes hand made piece of art off the front.

Me

IC B3

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
]

KLX 250 dual sport. Ground is hilly, either in grass, power line ROW, or on logging trails through the woods.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pointer
]

KLX 250 dual sport. Ground is hilly, either in grass, power line ROW, or on logging trails through the woods.
Build a pack frame for it, like saddlebags. Drop a couple teeth on the front sprocket, you'll have much more control against spinning with the lower ratio. You may also need a more aggressive tire(s) for the terrain.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Nah do it right.

Yz250......lmk how you do. 😂

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A four stroke 250 will have more than enough power to pull a deer, but those hills will give you trouble because the front end will want to wheelie on you pulling a load. A 250 might be kind of tall to be able to keep your feet on the ground to steady the bike. When the going gets really slow in the woods, most dual sport bikes are geared too high and will stall. Giving it gas and slipping the clutch will spin the tire and dig a hole. If it has trials tires instead of knobby tires expect more trouble. Best you can do is to tie the load as low as you can off the rear axle support away from the chain.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do they still make those slick plastic sheets that you tie around a deer to drag it? They're easier to carry in than a sled. I haven't seen one in a lot time so I don't know if they're still made.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Do they still make those slick plastic sheets that you tie around a deer to drag it? They're easier to carry in than a sled. I haven't seen one in a lot time so I don't know if they're still made.
Answered my own question: this thing...
I've never used one but Amazon's reviews are pretty good.

DEER SLEIGH'R
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of those Deer Sleigh'r plastic things only the elk larger model, but found it more useful under the truck to change the oil. Sold it for $2.00 at a garage sale and good riddens. Deer are long and narrow and I've found a more rigid narrow sled works better. One of the ice fishing companies out of Minnesota made a heavy black fiber glass sled that works perfectly for deer. Holes for rope all along both edges and even an aluminum yolk to pull it with a snowmobile. It was made heavy enough to get a disabled snowmobile up onto it and pull it out of the woods. Overkill for deer and doesn't slide as well as a kid's sled, but unbreakable.

My other auto is a .45

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all of the suggestions! If I could find a small trailer that I could afford, I think it'd do what I want. As far as dragging, I'm thinking I'd just be riding too many wheelies laugh even with my fat arse on the seat. Guess it'll just be a drag and cart deal.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have one of these Polar trailers. Mine will hold 1500lb which is far more than I've ever put in it. I put a ball hitch on it to be more convenient.
The problem is that it's 37" wide. That's fine for an ATV but it might be too wide for a motorcycle trail.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine has a Rokon Trailbreaker and alaska made umv sleds. He can pull a moose (cut up) with ease,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,038
Posts18,482,003
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.