Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't take my SS until I was almost 65. I was thinking I'd maybe take it at 66 or possibly later. I was in no real hurry. The reason I was waiting was because I didn't really need the money. So my plan was to wait to get a higher monthly payment. I went to the SS and Medicare office solely to register for Medicare.

In a stroke of luck, I got a gentleman around my age as my advisor. JFC, I wasn't there to discuss SS benefits at all. I was strictly there to sign up for Medicare. But while I was talking to him, he asked me "Can I show you a couple math calculations on the computer"? I said "Sure".

Well, he laid it all out to me that it was foolish for me to wait to collect SS and that I was just leaving money on the table senselessly. He had showed me that my break even point would be 79.5 years before I would recover what I had already left on the table. Don't remember the exact amount, but it was several tens of thousands of dollars. Right then and there, I told him "Sign me up".

Thankfully, after discussions with my brother, he decided to take his SS at 62. He's in good shape with his retirement. From all the overtime he worked as a lineman for the power company over the years, his pension from the company, and his wife's SS, in addition to their Investments, he and his wife are doing fine.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you are comfortable working with MS Excel, you can create a simple spreadsheet that will clearly answer your question in about 10 minutes. Eight columns:
Column 1, years 2023 through say 2063
Column 2, your age at the end of the year
Column 3, annual SS income if you start SS now. Just copy paste on down from 2023 to 2053.
Column 4, Running cumulative total of Column 3
Column 5, starting in appropriate year, annual full retirement amount. Copy pasted to bottom.
Column 6 cum of column 5.
Column 7 starting in appropriate year max annual SS amount.
Column 8, cum of column 7.

Now look to see how old you will be when the value of column 8 surpasses column 6. That is your BREAK EVEN point for waiting. For me it was mid to upper 80’s. No one in my mother’s family ever made it to 70. For me, no brainer…

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
I'm getting up there in years. 64 years and 5 months. I was looking on my Social Security account today and it says I would qualify for 2774 a month if I took it right now. It says I would qualify for 3385 if I wait until I'm 66 years and 10 months. And I would qualify for 4331 if I hold off until I'm 70.

Here's my question for you guys that know about it. Can I really draw Social Security at 64 years old and keep working? (I love my job and want to stay there as long as possible) I thought I had to wait until I was 65.

I took a picture of what the website chart says. Not sure if you can read it.

After full retirement date you will not be penalized for wages earned. If you want, you can work full time and draw full SS after age 66 & 10 months.
At age 64 the annual earnings limit is $21,240 for 2023. After $21240, SS will deduct from your benefits $.50 for every dollar you earn.

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2023, that limit is $21,240. In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit.

My choice: I turned 66 and four months Nov 2 of 2022, which was my full retirement date. I put in, and reciecved SS benefits on that date. I worked through the end of Feb, 2023 with no penalty, just to see a few SS checks hit the bank before retirement from the job.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I’m just guessing but if you can draw that much you really shouldn’t need it. These guys are correct on break even years. Wait long enough and you might not draw any at all. Edk

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
I'm retired, will be 62 at the end of the year and do not need it to live. That said, I am thinking 64-65 to start taking it.

Ed, that's basically the position I was in at 65. My recommendation to you is don't leave that money on the table. If for nothing else, you can use that money to further secure the financial future of the young folks in your family. Or, as my brother did, you can use some of the money for an extended fishing trip in Alaska with the younger fellas in the family, or a long vacation hunting in the woods in the Northeast or somewhere else you haven't been before.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If you're good with Excel or just a pencil and paper, work out how much you'd make annually based on your benefits for each year if started at ages 65 through 70. You'll find that you're many dollars ahead to take a somewhat lesser amount earlier. Just a few calculations can tell you the optimum age to start based on your situation.

Just as an example, say someone starts drawing $3,000 per month at age 66. That's $36,000 per year. By age 70 they'd already have made $144,000 - which could have been invested to increase that.

If they start at 70 let's say they make $3600 per month or $43,200 annually. Based on a difference of $7,200 per year, and already being behind by $144,000, they'd have to live another 20 years just to have the same total amount of money they'd have if started at 66.

This doesn't take into account income tax (f*cking tax on a tax, f*ck the government!) or Medicare deductions or COLA raises, but in any scenario you work out, sacrificing a little less per month earlier will put you many thousands of dollars ahead until you are in your mid-80's or well beyond.

Again, everyone is different. Based on when I started, my break even point would have been age 87 after which age I intend to invest in red sports cars and 23 year old girlfriends until I put myself into an early grave...

Jim, that is wise advice if a person is not earning wages. BUT, if a person is earning $75,000/year it is a far different situation.
$75,000 minus 21,240 leaves $53,760 divided by 2 equals $26,680.

$26,680 is the amount which will be subtracted from your SS benefit for the year. $36,000 minus 26,680 leaves you less than $10,000 in SS for the year. But you have taken benefits for the year, so are not eligible for the full benefits you would have earned if you had waited until FRD to begin benefits.

That is why I waited for 66 4 months (my FRD) to begin benefits.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Houser52
My wife is a CPA of 30+ years and she advised me to start SS as soon as I was eligible. In her experience she had seen too many people that held out to collect more but didn’t live long enough to make it pay off. I took her advise.
She is also collecting SS and still working full time.

At what age did your wife begin to draw SS benefits? It seems that her earnings as a CPA would slash her benefits if she were to draw early. 🤔

She started drawing at 62 and she is now 67. I don’t know how it’s affected her benefits but if it affected them too much she would never have done it. She knows numbers and is also a tight wad.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you need the money now, take it now.

If you don't need the money now, take it now.

If you can get by for now and will REALLY need more money later, wait.

I started at 62 and have no regrets. My full retirement age is 66 years 8 months. When I did the math if I'd waited until 66 years 8 months I would have to live to almost 80 just to break even. I'd be 90 before it would add up to a significant difference.

There are no guarantees we will make it to even 66, let alone 80 or 90. Based on my parents and grandparents mid to late 80's are common in my family. But even if I knew I'd live to 85 I'd still take it now when I'm young and healthy enough to be able to travel and do some things. My dad died at 89, mom 87. But once they got into their 80's they weren't able to get out and enjoy much life.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WMR
My wife is a CPA of 30+ years and she advised me to start SS as soon as I was eligible. In her experience she had seen too many people that held out to collect more but didn’t live long enough to make it pay off. I took her advise.
She is also collecting SS and still working full time.

At what age did your wife begin to draw SS benefits? It seems that her earnings as a CPA would slash her benefits if she were to draw early. 🤔

She started drawing at 62 and she is now 67. I don’t know how it’s affected her benefits but if it affected them too much she would never have done it. She knows numbers and is also a tight wad.

That does seem a little surprising. It seems that her benefit would have been reduced quite a bit while she worked. Still, as you say, she’s a CPA, so I’m sure there’s some angle that I don’t understand. Thanks for the reply.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Perhaps she is self employed and handles income differently than a typical wage earner?

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I don’t regret waiting until I was 66 to begin taking mine. I guess time will tell if I’ll come out ahead. My SS is penalized 500 a month, because I have teachers retirement.

Last edited by hanco; 10/03/23.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Retired at 60 started drawing at 62. Just extra money for us. Numbers lined up at 59.

Good Luck

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You can put your data into this calculator to see what might be best for your situation. https://opensocialsecurity.com. You have to look at your situation, health and family longevity history and that of your spouse and make a guess. One thing to consider is that on it's current track, social security will deplete it's trust fund in the 2037 or so and will only be able to pay about 75% of advertised benefit unless changes are made to the program.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
COLORADO LUCKY DOG: The VarmintWife just went through this and after professional advice she started collecting her social security benefit the first month she qualified for it,
She also kept working (against my urgings!) FULL TIME and the S.S. people simply withheld her monthly S.S. check until the penalty for collecting and keeping working was met (three first months checks of the year were withheld, as I recall, for a couple of years!). Then after those three months she collected both the full S.S. checks and her salary from here job! Then after a couple of years there was NO penalty for her working full time.
My advice "start collecting S.S. benefits" the instant you qualify - I base this on many friends and acquaintances that died before they ever collected a single S.S. retirement check!
There are tables that specifically define how long you have to live if you wait for max benefits to catch up with the benefits you get from an earlier retirement. And theres this, good luck in your dealings with the lazy, arrogant and often stupid sons of bitches and daughters of whores there at your local S.S. office - you'll need it.
So theres that.
Best of luck to you with whichever option you choose - but again WE were/are VERY happy with the VarmintWifes choice of collecting S.S. checks ASAP and paying the minor penalty for that relatively short time while she kept working full time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I retired at 63, started collecting Oct. 2013. No regrets. Only you know your financial situation. Just get a good financial advisor.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am probably within a month or two of the OP in age. I'm also looking at this. I punched out of the corporate world six months ago and do consulting on a contract basis. My wife makes decent money in her business.

I am considering filing for SS in a few months when I turn 65. I'm a CPA so I have run the numbers and it doesn't make a difference until my early 80s, cumulatively. Both sides of my family aren't known for their longevity.

I don't want to work full time so as long as I don't make a lot I'm good. If I decided to work more I would have twelve months to change my mind and repay benefits I suppose.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EIB0879
I am probably within a month or two of the OP in age. I'm also looking at this. I punched out of the corporate world six months ago and do consulting on a contract basis. My wife makes decent money in her business.

I am considering filing for SS in a few months when I turn 65. I'm a CPA so I have run the numbers and it doesn't make a difference until my early 80s, cumulatively. Both sides of my family aren't known for their longevity.

I don't want to work full time so as long as I don't make a lot I'm good. If I decided to work more I would have twelve months to change my mind and repay benefits I suppose.

If you wait until your full retirement age to draw you can make as much as you want to without hurting your SS.

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Orion2000
If you are comfortable working with MS Excel, you can create a simple spreadsheet that will clearly answer your question in about 10 minutes. Eight columns:
Column 1, years 2023 through say 2063
Column 2, your age at the end of the year
Column 3, annual SS income if you start SS now. Just copy paste on down from 2023 to 2053.
Column 4, Running cumulative total of Column 3
Column 5, starting in appropriate year, annual full retirement amount. Copy pasted to bottom.
Column 6 cum of column 5.
Column 7 starting in appropriate year max annual SS amount.
Column 8, cum of column 7.

Now look to see how old you will be when the value of column 8 surpasses column 6. That is your BREAK EVEN point for waiting. For me it was mid to upper 80’s. No one in my mother’s family ever made it to 70. For me, no brainer…

I did something similar to this. Signed up at 62, no regrets.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Goobermint set up that "You'll get more if you wait" scam because they know full well that a significant percentage of people won't live to that magic age.

Using your numbers but not counting any salary penalties, you'd get just under $200,000 between now and age 70. It would take you almost 11 years at the 70yo rate to make up that money.

What could you do with $200,000 over six years? More to the point, what would you get if you decided to wait and died a month before you turned 70? Zero.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mom worked some sort of job for some 40+ years.
When pop passed, she got his private retirement "survivor benefit".
When she turn 65, she attempted to draw her SS she paid into for umpteen years!
SocSec informed her she could either continue drawing Pop's "survivors benefits"...OR...draw SocSec! She COULD NOT draw both!
Mom passed at 98.

She never drew one red cent of SocSec after paying in for nearly 40 years!

Tell me THAT isn't highway robbery!
I'm still po'd about it!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,076
Posts18,482,691
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.