-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nemo has three new pads coming out for 2024. 3.5" thickness, 40D bottom material, 20D top. R value to weight ratio is pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxdxlbZ3unBfFt3JqH6pEqZDELaASLepl-
https://www.traversing.ca/blog/2023/7/5/nemo-announces-new-tents-sleeping-bag-pad-and-chair-for-2024

NEMO Tensor Extreme Conditions: R-Value 8.5

Regular Mummy $249.95 / 16oz

Regular $249.95 / 1lb 1oz

Regular Wide $259.95 / 1lb 5oz

Long Wide $279.95 / 1lb 6oz

NEMO Tensor All Season: R-Value 5.4

Regular Mummy $199.95 / 14.1 oz

Regular $199.95 / 14.8 oz

Regular Wide $219.95 / 1lb 3oz

Long Wide $ 229.95 / 1lb 4oz

NEMO Tensor Trail: R-Value 2.8

Regular Mummy $179.95 / 12.5oz

Regular $179.95 / 13.4oz

Regular Wide $189.95 / 1lb 1 oz

Long Wide $199.95 / 1lb 2 oz

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ that Extreme will probably eat into some Thermarest XTherm sales smile

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bastids would come out with new ones right after I bought mine <g>.

I will say if conditions are extreme enough that I feel the need for a pad with an R of 8.5, I’ll have lots of other “extreme” gear and a few oz this way or that won’t matter much (sacrilege!).

Brad, Cyn is in your AO… well, your state anyway… banging big miles on the CDT. 👍

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag... the older I get the more I'm willing to invest in sleeping pads....

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Big Agnes rapide has been pretty comfy.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 07/09/23.
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one! Big Agnes sent it to me as a warranty replacement for the AXL pad they disco’d. I’m sure it’s very comfy. I have used two other 3.5” BA pads and they rock.

In FACT…. if anyone wants a brand new BA Rapide in long/wide that’s never even been inflated, for a big break off new price, PM me. I keep meaning to put it in the classifieds but never do.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
For my recent Alaska bear hunt we were flying in, so weight and pack size were a concern, I picked up a Klymit Luxe wide. Ended up using it on the ground rather than a cot and it was surprisingly comfortable. I'm a side sleeper so hips are always a concern. Never felt cold or uncomfortable at all.
I'd give it a '2 thumbs up' rating.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just put a brand-new, never inflated Big Agnes Rapide SL in the long/wide size in the classifieds.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...pide-sl-sleeping-pad-25-x78#Post18603504

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Forget the pad and get a backpacking cot. Then use a cheap foam pad.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I still just use those cheap foam pads (I think I paid fifteen bucks for the last one). I sleep well on them. Full disclosure: Most of my hiking is done in timbered country where there is grass or pine needles underfoot. Even above timberline, there is usually grass. My pillow is half a pants leg; stuffed with whatever (I really like balsam tips, for the scent). I am 74 and have been sleeping soundly on the ground for most of those years. If I should start doing more overnight camping in Nevada or Arizona, I might change my tune. GD

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m jealous. I guess I’m too, I dunno, skeletal for that. I get really uncomfortable. It helps to dig out hip, and even shoulder, depressions but that’s not always practical and it’s hard to get right regardless.

I’m pretty good on a 3.5” thick Big Agnes. I’m going to find out how I do on a 3” NEMO Tensor.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have one of those Thermarest inflatable sleeping pads. I keep sliding off it - mobile sleeper. Also a cold sleeper. I am worried about punctures. Here in the UK there are lots of small, sharp stones - glacial moraine sediments, frost fractured rocks, knarley bracken and heather bush stems and twigs etc. I believe in Murphy's law, especially when half between any assistance.

I have been thinking of the Snugpak Antarctic sleeping pad. It is made out of sleeping bag and jackets insulation material. Might be the way to go. I am willing to sacrifice weight for durability and dependability.

https://snugpak.com/products/antarctic-mat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a one-night stand spike camp, I use an Exped. Will be sleeping on it tonite in fact.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I can sleep on anything for a night, so yeah. It’s when the trip gets longer and getting decent rest becomes a necessity, not just a nicety, where it really matter for me.

This last thing I did, 6 weeks/600 miles, was sort of the crucible of all this <grin>. I won’t belabor it again but I ended up on TWO dimpled foam pads, a NEMO and a Thermarest version, stacked. It didn’t suck, it wasn’t great. It looked goofy AF on the trail as those things are BULKY and having two hanging off your pack is not a great look. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife has now roughly doubled that time/mileage and she’s using a NeoAir on top of a NEMO Switchback. Not complaining, so it must be working.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Soft is for pussies. smile

I'm still using a closed-cell, 6' long, roll-up "ensolite" pad for insulation when ground sleeping. It's enough down to zero or so for ground insulation - the bag is separate.
e
I suppose it would work in a cot too, if one is so inclined.

When in the Arctic, I used a dried caribou winter hide. Probably not an option for you. Bulky, but there is nothing better, if you don't mind a little hair. I could lay that thing on snow, with only the tent fabric underneath, and there would be no melt.

As an add-on to a comment above - the 3 basic rules of hunt comfort that I have are:

Take good care of your feet. Dry is better, but not absolute. Extra socks!

Sleep warm, if not dry... I've not used a down bag, if possibility of getting it wet. Also- use a bag "rated" 20* colder than your expected temps. Those "ratings" will keep you alive, not comfortable...(cuddling an 80 lb Lab has worked well, too, on occasion). A dry pair of socks in the bag is absolutely decadent!

Eat enough calories.

Last edited by las; 10/04/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I just tossed my new NEMO Tensor into my pack; leaving tomorrow for a high desert (10k) mule deer backpack hunt. I expect nighttime temps in the 30’s; packed my 22° down quilt rather than my -5° Marmot.

Folks love the Tensor. I’ll soon know more.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I got to use the new NEMO Tensor for almost two weeks here recently… I like it! Not noisy, great insulation from the ground, and very nearly as cushy @ 3” thick as my 3.5” Big Agnes pads, which are significantly heavier.

It still has the issue that most inflatables have, which is if it gets popped it’s FLAT, so I’ll have to account for that when my wife ropes me into our next big through-hike and decide if I want to carry a foam backup. But as far as warmth and comfort, the Tensor is the best I’ve tried so far in terms of comfort/oz.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I got to use the new NEMO Tensor for almost two weeks here recently… I like it! Not noisy, great insulation from the ground, and very nearly as cushy @ 3” thick as my 3.5” Big Agnes pads, which are significantly heavier.

It still has the issue that most inflatables have, which is if it gets popped it’s FLAT, so I’ll have to account for that when my wife ropes me into our next big through-hike and decide if I want to carry a foam backup. But as far as warmth and comfort, the Tensor is the best I’ve tried so far in terms of comfort/oz.

did you fill your Steens buck tag Jeffy ? lol

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.