Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Are there any great mauser gunsmiths still around? The two that I was told about are getting older and out of the business…

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are you talking custom built sporters ?

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yes sir

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are fewer and fewer.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Jim Kobe

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've never used Jim, but he is the one I would be calling.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Duane Wiebe comes to mind.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Another vote for Jim Kobe

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have used Dennis Olson before and he is excellent.

The way life should be.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Or, "Play it again Sam"... Alternative "B". Begin project with one of the innumerable latter fifties or so, commercial FN or latter sixties Zastava mauser action based variants and 'have your way with it from a strong hand 'starting point' vantage! It will 'almost inevitably' be cheaper in the long run and unless only superb craftsmanship rendered piece in your vision; as price-point compromise, market place guns likely a better semi-custom investment at intermediate point of project inception.

Alternative "C" if desiring the "traditional Mauser 98 pattern Oberndorf Sporter... Maybe buy one of them as "collector value ruined"; such as extra sight holes which may be useful or at least tolerable to you. Or a decent military action because you love "clip guides & thumb cut receiver styles" for just the aura... The point as whatever you contemplate, it's out there now perhaps metal needing only tweaking 'du jour' & refinishing in whatever dimension you wish. Add perhaps a true custom stock of choice large expenditure expenditure'... As stirring in the "ample cash" ingredient just for wood, etc.

A or B alternatives the central point of avoiding the pro shop & labor as possible where you can satisfy your totally handcrafted urge on a "Custom crafted Subway Sandwich for about $20." Same as you'd have paid for an entire decent milsurp rifle in fifties era! smile

Just my take!

IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iskra
..... Alternative "B". Begin project with one of the innumerable latter fifties or so, commercial FN or latter sixties Zastava mauser action based variants and 'have your way with it from a strong hand 'starting point' vantage! It will 'almost inevitably' be cheaper in the long run and unless only superb craftsmanship rendered piece in your vision.......

Just my take!

There are reasons so many want to build on a Military 98. One that comes to mind in particular is the fact that the Military 98, save post war FN's, all have the "C" ring construction versus the double broached receivers of FN Commercials and Zastavas. Many see this a plus worth having.

Any Custom rifle build will end up a poor investment. That said, many simply want what they want and are willing to pay to have what they want rather than settling for a factory rifle or "semi-custom" approximation.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I built 2 and will never recoup the $$ invested, but who cares.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
And how can I tell a commercial verses a military 98 action?

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a commercial action, note, no stripper clip hump and no "thumbcut" on left sidewall, scope friendly bolt handle:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
No thumbcut:

This is a military 98 action:

Borrowed pick that shows what a Military style 98 might appear like. This is a factory sporter but retains the Hump, the non-scope friendly handle, and had the thumbcut:

Last edited by z1r; 09/14/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
C and H ring.

Top = FN H ring. you can see the breach face at 3 and 9 o'clock
Bottom =Chilean (Steyr) . you can see the 3 o'clock breach face but at 9 is the receiver.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd trust David Sams (central VA) to do anything to a Mauser. No one else around here will even pretend to be qualified. All ARs and cerakoting.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"There are reasons so many want to build on a Military 98. One that comes to mind in particular is the fact that the Military 98, save post war FN's, all have the "C" ring construction versus the double broached receivers of FN Commercials and Zastavas. Many see this a plus worth having.

Any Custom rifle build will end up a poor investment. That said, many simply want what they want and are willing to pay to have what they want rather than settling for a factory rifle or "semi-custom" approximation."

I wonder is the difference between a "C" ring and "H" ring is all that important other than snob appeal? I have a few rifles built on both types, some military and some commercials having both type of rings and neither one has ever given me problems. IIRC, it was FN who went with the "H" ring believed it helped speed up construction without any sacrifice in strength or safety.
To be perfectly honest, I do have one rifle, a commercial FN that was the base for my 7x57 custom that may have a problem with the receiver. I'd have my gunsmith check it out but he passed so it sits in the safe. The rifle was originally a 270 Win. I got in a trade and already had the problem. I have no idea jut how hot it had been loaded by the previous owned. I didn't even see the problem when sighting it in for a hunt and no problems until I took it on a hunt. I was shooting factory ammo as I was building u a base of brass to start redoading the ammo. I shot at a deer and hit it but it took off. When trying to work the bolt to chamber another round it was locked up tight. When I finally got it open, the brass was just fine. No signs of excess pressure at all. I stuck it in the back of a closet and forgot about it and the problem. Something like 48 tears later I pull it out of the closet and had the custom rifle made. It locked up again during load work ups so now is back on the closet until I can find a local gunsmith that is reasonably affordable. David Miller ain't.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This has been for sale and unable to sell for awhile. Maybe priced too high. But this seller won’t budge. Is this a good one??
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1008191528

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I would add Bill Jacobs name to the list.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I rate the so-called "C" type Mauser action as a nicety, and nothing more. If to have a "sealed breech" get a push feed which accommodates such "circle of steel". Would I prefer a "C" mauser receiver, yes. Would I consider it a "material factor", no. Especially in context as 'almost all' came with thumb-slot siderail feature and that a much more considerable as practical point of structural weakness. So, counterpoint. Add the probability of the "Full C" type requiring bolt handle modification to "low scope specs" and of the need to remove - or live with - the clip guide hump as nuisance in scope mounting. A bunch of negative factors as the single positive factor of extra receiver ring strength protection. Such where no history of which I'm aware, causing action failure or even structural impediment with the later non-C type actions! To have the best of both worlds find an early post WWII FN transition commercial rifle with both "C" feature and solid left sidewall and factory low scope bolt included. Only residual downside is the remnant feature of elevated aft bridge clip guide feature without final machining as non-functional.

In weighing later mauser actions with factory "sporter conveniences", to me a 'no contest'. Of those variations, I prefer the original mauser "striker impinging safety" style more than the "trigger impinging" equivalent. Do I consider such material... To me, context. Yet to most folks; Not. I wouldn't be scoping my ideal mauser sporter nor wishing for a D&T model. Most folks would wish at least the D&T alternative.

The net, I'd pick up a decent FN, preferably, or Zastava, used rifle and use the action or even more happily perhaps the barreled action. One 'out of the stock' as about ready to go for new custom stock, lest any custom work yet to be done on it. The Husqvarna line used FN and as a generalization, great buys for their pricing.
Just my take
Best!
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (44mc, 2UP, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 16 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.