Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What are y’all using?

I don’t have any right now because of spotty service, unfamiliar with them, and cost.
I didn’t want to have $200 strapped to a tree on public land.

The prices are coming down on them so I’m interested. I see the stealth cams are down to $80.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just bought two Moultrie Delta Base on sale for $50 each. These are my first cellular cams. Pretty pleased so far, esp for the price.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I reupped my OnX subscription a couple days ago and got a free Covert. No idea how well it works but if you want OnX anyway you could kill two birds with one stone.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
SPYPOINT

Last edited by earlybrd; 10/05/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run 4-5 Muddy cell cameras. The last two were bought as a pair for $135. Good results overall, considering price.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jedgreen
Just bought two Moultrie Delta Base on sale for $50 each. These are my first cellular cams. Pretty pleased so far, esp for the price.

That seems more in my ball park for where these will be. Public land, fairly busy around hunting season. Never had anything but my SD cards stolen but ya never know.

Do you have to sign up for a service plan?

Last edited by tzone; 10/05/23.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
I reupped my OnX subscription a couple days ago and got a free Covert. No idea how well it works but if you want OnX anyway you could kill two birds with one stone.

I have OnX. I didn't get no damn camera lol

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Depending on we’re your at I guess
My spy points are fussy about signal and sometimes don’t get any pics for a few days and suddenly get a 100 pics or so
Kenneth

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I also run the Moultrie Delta Base cams. Currently have four out and have been pleased with them for the initial price and quality. The cell signal on the camera is better than the one I get on my phone in the areas they are out. You do not have to sign up for their plan but then it is only a SD card type camera. I think I pay $44/month for the four of them currently.

Three are on the unlimited images/50 videos a month and the fourth is in a lower traffic area so that is on the lower plan of 1000 images/10 videos a month. The resolution has been great for me, night/early morning photos can be a little grainy but I think that comes with the territory, weather conditions, and distance from the camera.

One tends to be a little finicky with moisture and will "fog" up a little on the images, still can make out the pictures just not a lot of crisp detail, but it is short lived generally. I did have to send one back to them because it would not connect/work during initial setup. They told me it was an SD card issue but I used the same exact card in the replacement and have had trouble free use out of it. The "HD image" option is nice if you would like a high res image of anything its taken, it just uses five images instead of one toward your monthly limit.

Moultrie recommends lithium batteries in them but I did not go that route due to the cost of the lithiums. I will say, I first put 3 of these cameras out late Oct 2022 and with normal Rayovac alkaline AA's from Dollar General they lasted me through late July 2023 before I had to switch them out with new. The battery life depends on how often the camera is taking/sending images over, the MP setting and if you are doing videos or still images. Mine are all set at the 18MP and upload every 24 hours. I was very pleased with the life I got out of the first set of AA's. If you wanted to run solar panels for them that is an option as well. I have tossed around the idea of converting them to the 6V batteries but haven't seen a need for that just yet.

I put two recent photos in here to show night and evening time pics for reference

Attached Images
image638320973863083982.png (292.88 KB, 238 downloads)
image638320971276870830.png (101.35 KB, 237 downloads)
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Celluar trail cams , should be limited to private property. Just this!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
'Had' a Spypoint that worked great.......
But it pissed off one of our young bear a couple weeks back.
Went to check it a couple days after not receiving any pics.
What I found, spread all over the place.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Heym06
Celluar trail cams , should be limited to private property. Just this!

Why ?
Don’t understand some people’s thinking
If it’s public land , then it belongs to joe public
Hell , here in Va many years ago , opening day was a joke
Everybody would be in the woods well before daylight
Soon you’d see little glows , people having cigarettes.
Then light would begin and often find that you and half a dozen other hunters were standing with in seeing distance of each other
Move you say ? Next ridge or hollow would be the same
Nobody got pissed off , it was just the way it was , everybody had a right to the ground they were standing on
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 10/05/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just bought 2 new Cell Bushnell's and I like them. 99.00 each with 10.00 plans each

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had Spypoints for a few years now. If I were to start over I'd look elsewhere. Too many glitches that require a firmware updates and they seem to go down at the most inopportune times. Currently have 2 out of 3 operational, the dead one is 400 miles away and went down the day after I was there and changed batteries. mad

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using the cheaper Reveal cameras. I get way better signal with them than the Cuddeback’ so had been using.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tag

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like my Tactacam Reveal cameras.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Medics bury their mistakes..
J
jay Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Have a Spypoint and do not like it at all.
Terrible pictures (compared to my Browning), eats batteries and the photo plan is a rip off.
For every video they add (3) photos also for a preview against your monthly total.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tactacam reveal xpros i run 15 of them at a time usually, and have a couple new ones in the boxes just in case. Ive had great service out of them

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LundyLundy
Moultrie recommends lithium batteries in them but I did not go that route due to the cost of the lithiums. I will say, I first put 3 of these cameras out late Oct 2022 and with normal Rayovac alkaline AA's from Dollar General they lasted me through late July 2023 before I had to switch them out with new. The battery life depends on how often the camera is taking/sending images over, the MP setting and if you are doing videos or still images. Mine are all set at the 18MP and upload every 24 hours. I was very pleased with the life I got out of the first set of AA's. If you wanted to run solar panels for them that is an option as well. I have tossed around the idea of converting them to the 6V batteries but haven't seen a need for that just yet.

I put two recent photos in here to show night and evening time pics for reference

I've ran the Ray O Vacs for over 10 years in cams, mainly because I used to be able to get them at Menards for $6.99 per 48 during sales/rebate. They always worked great and lasted; I never had issues with them until recently with the new high energy versions with a lot of leaking ones so be careful of that and if you pull them at end of season take them out.

I currently have two cellular, Brownings that work well. I think they said same with lithiums but I've ran the eneloop rechargables and they've worked well and lasted. My brother tried them in his tacta cams and they worked in those as well. Some they don't, but they cost around what the lithiums do but can be recharged a thousand times or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (22kHornet, 160user, 257man, 338rcm, 17CalFan, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 1,826 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,849
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.